TEC watercooling loop

spwath

Would it be possible to have a tec, with hot side on water block, cold side on CPU?

Would I have to do some sort of insulation for condensation?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

thats what people do actually and I have seen people do it without insulation and some with insulation as well I guess its all about the power of the TEC.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

yes not worth it though.I like having a waterblock on the CPU and the TEC away with its own heatsink.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

yes not worth it though.I like having a waterblock on the CPU and the TEC away with its own heatsink.

Worth what though?

Not expensive

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

either way you get the same cooling...

except with your way you need to use condensation proof tubing

thats what people do actually and I have seen people do it without insulation and some with insulation as well I guess its all about the power of the TEC.

if the tec turns off during low load then its not necessary, but if the cold side goes below ambient then yes you need insulation

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what is a TEC i have not heard of it before 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

A Peltier element? A bit early 2000's IMHO, but it's doable. Here's a good article. Condensation will cause problems if you dip too far below ambient temperature. With peltier that can happen.

if the tec turns off during low load then its not necessary, but if the cold side goes below ambient then yes you need insulation

Ok, kinda like what they did in phase change cooling?

And would I be able to get sub zero?

I mean, I don't need to, but that would be pretty cool

Ok, kinda like what they did in phase change cooling?

And would I be able to get sub zero?

I mean, I don't need to, but that would be pretty cool

digitalstorm uses a cry-tec system that gets them below 0

the peltier unit is in the waterblock, just like youre planning to do

they must have used a multistage peltier to get those low temps, I think with a single stage you only get a few degrees cooler, it depends on the power rating

there are some more powerful than others

TEC is completely different from phase change

in a way its more simple and easy to set up or DIY

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't get it, in the artical linked below they said don't water cool hot side due to heat, air cool it.

That makes no sense.

And I should be fine having it directly on CPU with propper insulation?

digitalstorm uses a cry-tec system that gets them below 0

the peltier unit is in the waterblock, just like youre planning to do

they must have used a multistage peltier to get those low temps, I think with a single stage you only get a few degrees cooler, it depends on the power rating

there are some more powerful than others

TEC is completely different from phase change

in a way its more simple and easy to set up or DIY

Yeah I meant in the insulation sense.

I don't get it, in the artical linked below they said don't water cool hot side due to heat, air cool it.

That makes no sense.

And I should be fine having it directly on CPU with propper insulation?

whoever wrote that article is an idiot

yes its fine on the CPU with insulation

there are plenty of yourtube tutorials on TEC cooling with a heatsink

all you gotta do is replace the heatsink with your waterblock and youre good

Spoiler

whoever wrote that article is an idiot

yes its fine on the CPU with insulation

there are plenty of yourtube tutorials on TEC cooling with a heatsink

all you gotta do is replace the heatsink with your waterblock and youre good

Ok, thanks.

I'll see how much it does, it will mostly be for fun

Ok, thanks.

I'll see how much it does, it will mostly be for fun

yup :)

oh and you dont have to do such a huge mess like linus did when he did the TEC

just some insulation foam with a square cut in the middle will be enough

Spoiler

yup :)

oh and you dont have to do such a huge mess like linus did when he did the TEC

just some insulation foam with a square cut in the middle will be enough

Ok.

And what kind of wattage TEC should I look for?

Worth what though?

Not expensive

forgot to mention :P the hassle and worry I had a mini loop running on a spare system for a while.

I had a system that turned off just above ambient

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Ok.

This is the wrong place to ask, go to OCN and get proper info.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1550307/calculating-properties-of-tecs#post_23796272

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Ok.

I would go for as high as possible...

Spoiler

This is the wrong place to ask, go to OCN and get proper info.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1550307/calculating-properties-of-tecs#post_23796272

Yeah ok.

I never know how to work other forums

Yeah ok.

I never know how to work other forums

http://www.tecpeltier.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19 via OCN

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

• 3 months later...

sorry to kick a dead thread, but i do have a few questions of possible solutions i have been mulling around with. the idea is basically an independently powered system containing 3 reservoirs/pumps(DC 12V 1.1A 13.2W Brushless Magnetic Drive), 7 water blocks (3x cooling chambers for coolant, 4x for direct cooling of TECs or 4 heat sinks depending on what method is best), 4x TECs and a power supply. the cooling chamber design i was thinking was sandwiching 3 blocks together (like 1 block with 3 chambers), and having a TEC on 4 sides of the block

cooling block:     _|   |_ _|   |_ _|   |_  

| gpu | cpu |mobo|

TEC|        |TEC |         |TEC

| ____|____ |_____|

im not sure how clear that is but thats the basic design. so major concerns right off the bat 1) power: what PSU would be best? is there a PSU out there that can handle 7X 12v out puts? what would the over all resistance be? 2) condensation: will insulating the cooling chamber output tube solve this? should i be worried about condensation on the transfer plates on the main computing components? 3) water cooling vs heatsink air cooling the TEC: would creating a decent air flow ( with independent input and exhaust)  through all the heat sinks be sufficient or could i add 2 additional block nodes to the mobo flow system and gpu flow system to handle all 4 TEC's cooling before heading in to the cooling chamber ? 4) temp control: could i possibly slave an arduino to extrapolate the temp control output from the mobo, to control the temp of the TECs? 

right now the goal temp at transfer i want to get to is 1C-6C. i know this is over kill, but i want to be able to keep the pump and cooling out side of the main case (im already uneasy enough using liquid cooling, so i want to keep the reservoirs outside of case just in case of leaks, pump malfs and tank cracks). also i am favouring  independent operation managing over integrated operation through the mobo so no worries if i cant slave. once again sorry to kick a dead thread, but this was the first search result that game up when i checked this website. thanks 

P.s i am working on a non detailed block diagram for this, i'll post it later when its done