Minecraft adds cross-platform play so Windows 10 players can build with mobile friends

jos
Microsoft is updating the Windows 10 and Pocket editions of the ultra-popular building game, adding the cross-platform support it previously promised, and inserting features that were previously missing from the mobile version. Players on PC, iOS, Windows Phone, and Android will now be able to build on the same server together, and people with the Pocket edition will now see enhanced weather effects, will be able to create new items, and will finally able to sprint around in the world they've shaped. Up to five people will be able to play across platforms on a local network, meaning that multiple kids in a household will be able to inhabit the same world without needing five of the same device. Five will also be able to play together in Minecraft's Windows 10 version, playing over Xbox Live.

Wow this is great.. was waiting for this.. hope the integration is good

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/8/9275085/minecraft-windows-10-pocket-cross-platform-play

Wow a while five players. Meanwhile the standalone server can handle how many if ran in a large enough system? Few hundred? Five is a good limit when the world is hosted by a phone. But cmon micro soft, if it's hosted by a PC I think it can handle more than 5

Wow a while five players. Meanwhile the standalone server can handle how many if ran in a large enough system? Few hundred? Five is a good limit when the world is hosted by a phone. But cmon micro soft, if it's hosted by a PC I think it can handle more than 5

yeah but this is crossplatform so say i was playing on the desktop and you were playing on ios windows phone or android we would be able to play together

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Too bad the windows 10 edition sucks ass. Also this is super old news.

well you can't expect them to bundle the java version with win 10. that would mean an outdated version of java would install with win 10. that is a huge security risk, not to mention java needs to die. a lot of people only have java for minecraft, and some modpacks require you to use an outdated version

yeah but this is crossplatform so say i was playing on the desktop and you were playing on ios windows phone or android we would be able to play together

i understand its crossplatform but it has way to many limitations on it. while cool that they did this, the limitation just doesnt seem to make it very worthwhile when i can just as easily setup a server and run far more people. if anything, i would have been excited to see them announce crossplatform gameplay from console to the PC on vanilla servers. that would have been nice to see. or even mod support for the console (heaven forbid they ever figure that one out)

Too bad the windows 10 edition sucks ass. Also this is super old news.

It's only bad because of the lack of community server support and mods. The fact it's not Java means I'll actually run it. Hopefully mod support comes in the future (they said maybe) and larger player counts on servers is really important.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

hmmm nifty.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

I just want ps4/ pc co-op so my sister and I don't have to play in split screen. It probably won't happen though :(

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

It's only bad because of the lack of community server support and mods. The fact it's not Java means I'll actually run it. Hopefully mod support comes in the future (they said maybe) and larger player counts on servers is really important.

The UI is shit, the controls are shit, the mouse feels floaty as if they actually managed to emulate the touch screen feel when using a mouse. The main menu doesn't even have an exit button. In it's awful in its current state.

Windows 10+Minecraft this, Windows 10+Minecraft that. Yeah I'm still suspicious about Microsoft's "generosity" as none of the large companies give something away for free without attatching strings.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Here I sit wondering if I should give into the whole Minecraft thing. $20 seems kinda too much for what it is, imo :<

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Windows 10+Minecraft this, Windows 10+Minecraft that. Yeah I'm still suspicious about Microsoft's "generosity" as none of the large companies give something away for free without attaching strings.

They are probably just trying to entice people switch to Windows 10.

They are not doing a good job though because the Windows 10 version is crap compared to the PC version. It seems to just be the Pocket Edition with a few tweaks.

Here I sit wondering if I should give into the whole Minecraft thing. $20 seems kinda too much for what it is, imo :<

You could always *cough* pirate *cough* it and try it out.

Just get the PC version though. The Pocket Edition and other versions don't have all the features of the regular version.

They are probably just trying to entice people switch to Windows 10.

They are not doing a good job though because the Windows 10 version is crap compared to the PC version. It seems to just be the Pocket Edition with a few tweaks.

You could always *cough* pirate *cough* it and try it out.

Just get the PC version though. The Pocket Edition and other versions don't have all the features of the regular version.

That's one thing I don't get. They already had the PC version which is superior to the Android/iOS versions.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Minecraft is that game you play for like 2 years straight. Then you get bored and would usually come back for months at a time.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Minecraft is that game you play for like 2 years straight. Then you get bored and would usually come back for months at a time.

I play the game every 8 months or so for about 20 minutes, and realized why I quit. 

The lack of redstone items makes it rather pointless to spend any time playing the mobile/Win10 version.

*looks at 5 years of playing with some breaks*  sounds about right