What do you think Pascal is going to be called? (GTX _____?)

Jacktastic-Mofo

So I've been thinking and I don't know if Pascal is going to be the 1000 series, I mean if it is when they release the 80 and 70 series GPU's like they usually do first then we'll end up with the GTX 1080 which from a marketing standpoint doesn't sound all that right. An alternative would be the GTX X80 and GTX X70 and so on. What do you guys think?

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

GTR 380, so we can't just say 380 when talking about (recent) gpu's. 

gtx 1080? for 1080p gaming? lol

That's why I don't think 1000 makes sense. :P The next 80 series card should be a 4k monster, and for it's name to be 1080 would just be hilarious.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

GTX X80

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

its gonna be GTX1080.

And the AMD fanboys will be like: "Ugh for the first ever, nvidia can ugh finally do 1080 gaming, and at like low settings, ugh."

its gonna be GTX1080.

And the AMD fanboys will be like: "Ugh for the first ever, nvidia can ugh finally do 1080 gaming, and at like low settings, ugh."

lol, right.

But it looks more like a rendering workstation gpu. Why would they need something better than a Titan x, this soon? 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

GTX X80

If they do that they will have to change it again for the next series so probably not, maybe they'll skip a 100 and go directly to GTX 11xx or just drop that naming system like AMD did.

Yup, what else should it be, they had GT, GTS and GTX

GTZ 180?

That's why I don't think 1000 makes sense. :P The next 80 series card should be a 4k monster, and for it's name to be 1080 would just be hilarious.

hate to break it but IIRC pascal is supposed to be a DIE shrink mostly along with stepping up to HBM2.0, not sure about performance gains being huge.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The chip will be called PK.

I'm guessing Pascal Kingforce 280 or something

Keplar was GK

Geforce Keplar.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

If they do that they will have to change it again for the next series so probably not, maybe they'll skip a 100 and go directly to GTX 11xx or just drop that naming system like AMD did.

I don't know if they'd skip a number series again like they did with the 800 series.

So I've been thinking and I don't know if Pascal is going to be the 1000 series, I mean if it is when they release the 80 and 70 series GPU's like they usually do first then we'll end up with the GTX 1080 which from a marketing standpoint doesn't sound all that right. An alternative would be the GTX X80 and GTX X70 and so on. What do you guys think?

GTX 1xxx

I'd like to see the GTX 1440 and the GTX 2160 lol

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

At this time no 4k monster exists and neither will the next 80 series card be a 4k monster. It may be very good for 1440p, but 4k will still be too high for it to at 60fps.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

The chip will be called PK.

I'm guessing Pascal Kingforce 280 or something

Keplar was GK

Geforce Keplar.

We had GK (Geforce Kepler), then GM (Geforce Maxwell), and now GP (Geforce Pascal). All after important people in the scientific world.

I feel like Pascal will be centered around an X[two digits] scheme. Like the Pascal X80 or something. Weird, I know, but not incredibly far-fetched.

the GT XXX series.

they'll be so hot you need to cool them with flowing juices, and all your friends will be jealous about the FPS you just scored.

(is that too much innuendo?)

We had GK (Geforce Kepler), then GM (Geforce Maxwell), and now GP (Geforce Pascal). All after important people in the scientific world.

... Those are the architecture names... It's not being called GP, it's been confirmed to be PK...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363712-nvidia-pascal-officially-called-pk100-and-pk104-w-hbm2/page-4

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I feel like Pascal will be centered around an X[two digits] scheme. Like the Pascal X80 or something. Weird, I know, but not incredibly far-fetched.

Yeah, I feel like I could see "NVIDIA Pascal X80"

I speculate they they will either go back to the 100 series, and just change it from GTX to something else, or move on to the GTX 1000 series.