OS X and Windows! (oh boy)

I have created this for people to KINDLY state their reasons for liking an OS. Anyone that bashes another OS will be removed from this topic, because we are should respect each others opinions. You can debate, but only if it is done in a respectful manner. 

Windows, because I play games, and the majority of games are on Windows.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I believe that all humans should be murdered except me. Please respect my opinion. 

He's not bashing an OS.. seems legit

Anyone that bashes another OS will be removed from this topic, because we are should respect each others opinions.

You do realize that you can't control that, right?

I prefer windows because I do work and play games on my computer, which are much better on windows.

I like Windows 10 because at least I can play games there.

I like a little Linux every once in a while, but not my main OS.

It's a bit of a chalk cheese debate for me.

I have used windows since Windows 95/98 (although not as knowledgeable back then) making windows my easiest to use operating system. That is by no means because it's the better OS. it's purely what I'm used to. There's also the fact that the main use of my PC is for modding and games, the big one been games.

I bought a MacBook Pro this year for use when travelling with work, cause in my opinion, they are the best laptops by far, best looking, long battery life etc. Also theyre somewhat more secure from virus's now (although this is changing from what I've read). However having been a 15 year PC user with some very good knowledge of Windows, I had to by a "Mac for beginners" book when I bought the MacBook.

Having come from windows some things are incredibly strange, on the flip side some things are a lot more user friendly, this is mainly the browsing experience (within Safari and OSX)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

OS X is the worst operating system you can find it deserves to live in the deep web its that bad.

FX 8350, Crosshair formula z, GTX 980Ti (reference), Enthoo Lux, XFX 750w PSU, 16GB Hyper x Fury, 120Gb SSD, 1TB HDD Samsung drive, 1TB WD Black

I don't really like OSX.

Windows is not perfect too, but it suits my needs better

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't like OS X for its hardware limitations its UI is simple and "good" for beginners but I wouldn't  recommend for a beginner if asked. I have known Windows since '98 and I doubt I can ever make a "proper" change to Mac, I have used their products and they are not bad for normal use but I still love Windows.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

Each has their own advantages and disadvantages.  However for individuals OSX has a more consistent design and user interface/user experience. OSX is cleaner, more robust and based on UNIX, the security is better than Windows though OSX itself still has vulnerabilities.

However the reason why Windows is thriving in the office environment is due to it having support by many enterprise applications.

There are more details that can be discussed, what I said was just a tiny bit.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Windows: Software compatibility.

Mac OS X: Elegant designs and good Adobe support.

Linux: Total freedom, for free.

That's all there is too it.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Windows, I can do everything a MAC and a PS4 does for cheaper

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

"all OSes have their place" - hows that?

in more detail:

- OSX is for people who "just need it to work" and REALLY dont give a damn about whats going on behind the scenes.

- windows still is THE platform if you want to make sure things are supported. nearly every piece of hardware, and every piece of software is windows compatible. (theres even ways to get GNU software working on windows)

- linux is the wild west. everything is possible, but you might get shot in the face while trying it. theres more flavours of linux than you find food in a supermarket, and however much you might hate it, linux is everywhere. linux finds its place in the server world, in supercomputers, in steamboxes, phones, televisions, smart baby monitors, NAS equipment, etc.

its just the desktop market where linux has a bit of an issue to get going, because most desktop users dont want to bother with the learning curve of a linux OS.

- theres others, like BSD, and a buttload of very specific OSes like IOS on cisco switches (not to be confused with iOS on your iFöhn) but i dont have much knowledge about them, so i wont go in depth on those.

Windows is mainstream. You will not run into compatibility issues that you would using OSX.

If you have never used OSX, simply download itunes and take that for a spin, now imagine it as an operating system....welcome to OSX  :)

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on

If you have never used OSX, simply download itunes and take that for a spin, now imagine it as an operating system....welcome to OSX  :)

i dont like itunes, its too closed down and "beer goggles hiding the backend" for me.

that doesnt mean its bad for everyone tho, some people would much rather prefer those "beer goggles" to make things simpler.

There have been some great answers (Besides those several people who do not respect others)! I am personally an OS X kinda guy, but Windows has some great things too. I do all of my school work and video editing on my iMac, but I am currently building a budget PC to play games likes BF4 and other titles on. I would love to hear more people's opinions.

i dont like itunes, its too closed down and "beer goggles hiding the backend" for me.

that doesnt mean its bad for everyone tho, some people would much rather prefer those "beer goggles" to make things simpler.

Anytime I have ever put on beer goggles I have gotten myself into some serious trouble  B)

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on

I prefer Windows because I like to game and I use visual studio for programming. If I'm not gaming or coding in C# then Linux is great. You can actually fix stuff instead of having to nuke and reinstall.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Having used OS X as much as I have (all through school and now at my job), I can recognize certain UI features I really appreciate. In Finder I can select multiple files, right-click one, and still get the "Open With" option, for example. That cannot be done directly from Windows Explorer, it takes more steps.

I also love the Mac OS method for typing special characters, rather than having to memorize a four-digit alt code as in Windows. Typing an umlaut (ä, ö, ü), for example, requires alt-0252, alt-0246, or alt-0228 in Windows, but Option-U followed by the letter you want is all that's required in Mac OS.

But overall Windows is far more comfortable to me and has felt much more responsive to me for many consecutive versions now.

I like OS X better, but I use Windows daily b/c gaming & having a PC.

I have a Mac (running osx, obviously,) and a PC running Win10. I use the Mac for video encoding and rendering in C4D and Blender, among other things. My parents also use it for work. I like Windows because of compatibility. If OSX had the same compatibility as Windows, I would buy the cheapest Mac Pro I could find and pop a 970 in it.

I have tried to use OSX on a few occasions but I find it impossible. It lacks most of the functionality I need from a OS and things just don't seem to work. I can't use Sony Vegas, Razer Comms, Manga Studio is Buggy, can't use Plex properly. I can't play any of my favorite DirectX based games. 

The OS isn't particularly customization... blah.. blah.. can't play DayZ (If someone says to play it in a VM, I will smack them)

I have tried to use OSX on a few occasions but I find it impossible. It lacks most of the functionality I need from a OS and things just don't seem to work. I can't use Sony Vegas, Razer Comms, Manga Studio is Buggy, can't use Plex properly. I can't play any of my favorite DirectX based games. 

The OS isn't particularly customization... blah.. blah.. can't play DayZ (If someone says to play it in a VM, I will smack them)

valid point! That is partially why I plan on creating my own custom built PC, but hopefully when Metal is brought in OS X El Capitan more games will be compatible