Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?

NInety

I'm not sure which one to get, I develop games in Unreal Engine and I'm not sure if DX12 is available for 8.1 and I don't have time to research it. I've also heard things about privacy issues on Win10. So just give me the pros and cons of both so I can decide. Thanks in advance. :)

I personally will not upgrade to windows 10 until absolutely forced to.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Windows 10

ignore that privacy shit

We live in the age of the internet. 

DX12 support on 8.1? Or is it 10 exclusive?

I personally will not upgrade to windows 10 until absolutely forced to.

Reason(s) why?

you either use WIn 10 or Win 7. but never win 8.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

DX12 is Windows 10 exclusive, so for game development it would be a must, forget the privacy issues just don't do an express install when installing Win10.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Dude, DX12 is WIn 10 only. Also you have a shit ton of more options in Win 10 than Win 8.1.

Dang.... well I kind of need DX12 from a developer standpoint. :/

just go for 10, no point in waiting it out anymore, most the major issues are fixed. Just make sure you dont rush the set up and see what its on by default. That way you can see if you want to turn some "features" on or off

DX12 support on 8.1? Or is it 10 exclusive?

Reason(s) why?

privacy. Microsoft has crossed the line with Windows 10.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Can you opt out of any of the privacy stuff?

this shit is in windows 7 and 8.1

you think they weren't spying before?

you think your andriod/iphone isn't spying?

or your tv? 

and you can turn most of it off, not all but Most

Most of it, not all.

You do relies that Microsoft needs that info for the personal assistant. If you don't use Cortana then you can turn off that shit.

Brah, do you even Java?

Why worry about that, privacy invasion in software is not new, it shouldn't be a big deal now, I'm sure you can find registry hacks to prevent your OS from calling home.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

You do relies that Microsoft needs that info for the personal assistant. If you don't use Cortana then you can turn off that shit.

it goes much deeper than just cortana. even if you turn off the features, they still watch, and harvest your data. 

they have also rolled out the same Telemetry garbage to windows 7 and 8. 

the only difference is with 7 or 8, you can block the update. I haven't updated windows in over a month just to be safe. I know this makes me vulnerable to security holes, but if i do anything important, i use linux.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

it goes much deeper than just cortana. even if you turn off the features, they still watch, and harvest your data. 

Explain the big deal with Microsoft many others are also doing it as well.

Explain the big deal with Microsoft many others are also doing it as well.

the difference is, this is on an Operating system level versus just a website or application.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Yes you can turn it off, mostly through the registry and service manager. There's videos on how to turn off all those "Privacy Invasion" stuff.

the only difference is with 7 or 8, you can block the update. I haven't updated windows in over a month just to be safe. I know this makes me vulnerable to security holes, but if i do anything important, i use linux.

First off, you are paranoid as fuck about it because the features in Win 10 is for use with the personal assistant and for predictions on what you are going to do next to help you out. Also, those exact same shit is on your phone too.

Brah, do you even Java?

Yes you can turn it off, mostly through the registry and service manager. There's videos on how to turn off all those "Privacy Invasion" stuff.

First off, you are paranoid as fuck about it because the features in Win 10 is for use with the personal assistant and for predictions on what you are going to do next to help you out. Also, those exact same shit is on your phone too.

you clearly haven't been keeping up with windows 10 news.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

you clearly haven't been keeping up with windows 10 news.

What news, that Google is doing the exact same shit. Win 10 is the best operating system, yes it has some flaws but the thing of it is that Win 10's "Privacy Invasion" can be turned off. It's just bullshit people throw around because they hate change. This is the internet era sir, if you want privacy then get off the internet.

Brah, do you even Java?

the difference is, this is on an Operating system level versus just a website or application.

I know that, I was referring more to Apple's and Google's privacy rules, and those are companies that have products that are used more often than desktop computers running Windows 10, but I'll leave this "theory" alone now, I suppose mobile device users are also bound to these privacy intrusions and they don't seem to care because the mobile market just keeps growing and constant desktop Windows 10 users seem to care, I wonder why...

What news, that Google is doing the exact same shit. Win 10 is the best operating system, yes it has some flaws but the thing of it is that Win 10's "Privacy Invasion" can be turned off. It's just bullshit people throw around because they hate change. This is the internet era sir, if you want privacy then get off the internet.

but you can't "turn it off" it doesn't turn off! you can disable the settings, but your information is still being sent regardless of what setting you disable.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

but you can't "turn it off" it doesn't turn off! you can disable the settings, but your information is still being sent regardless of what setting you disable.

Oh my gosh, you are paranoid af. But this is going nowhere so you stick with shitty linux and I'll stick with Win 10 and the awesome games being developed for it.

Brah, do you even Java?