To SLI or Just Upgrade?

NathanStar789

Hello,

I am new here to start things off, but that said I would place myself in the intermediate category for knowledge. A little Background on me, I Live Stream video games on twitch as well as do a fair bit of YouTube work. So keep in mind I am looking to upgrade to an i7 4790K soon

My Current Rig is a Staples bought PC, that I've given some love to :P. Specs are as follow:

• Intel i5 4660s 3.0Ghz turbo 3.2Ghz

• 12 Gigs of DDR3 Ram

• OC'D EVGA GTX 960 SC 4GB

• Thermaltake 430 watt PSU ( Would be upgraded if SLI was chosen)

Now, in the next year or so(unless I won the giveaway going on right now, the one with the Titan X :P) I will be looking to up my Horsepower so I can continue to Live Stream all the top title games with butter smooth frame rates. 

My question is as the title states, in sense of cost, considering I already have one EVGA GTX960 4GB, Should I upgrade to a GTX970 or Pick up another GTX960? I know one 970 is better than one or even two 960's but in sense of cost because I already bought one 960, would it be better to SLI?

Thank you :)

keep quiet until the next line up.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Have you upgraded cooling or the motherboard at all? 

Also, if you can get close to $200 for the 960, go for it and get a 970.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Since going SLI would also require a PSU upgrade, I would probably upgrade to a more powerful single-GPU. The added cost of the PSU will offset the advantage of just buying a second 960.

Which is cheaper? A $250 GPU + a $100 PSU, or a $350 GPU by itself? ;)

You would have to compare performance of the two 960s vs whatever other card you'd choose, but I believe the simplest and easiest upgrade is just to swap the GPU to a more powerful one. You can (maybe) sell the 960 for a bit of extra cash, or even just keep it as a backup in case of emergency. From my (limited) experience, two GPUs run much hotter and louder overall, because the bottom card tends to choke the airflow to the top card. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Just get a 970 a single stronger card is better than 2 weaker cards and you have to upgrade the PSU anywaus

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

If you can sell your 960 and make most of your money back then it probably pays to go for the single, better card, which is a more surfire way to get better performance. 

That being said, if you're happy with how your single 960 is performing right now, and are just looking at future proofing, adding another 960 may not be a bad option seeing how DX12 is going to be a lot better with scaling.  By the time you'll need the power, an sli set up will be more viable than it is now.  And the fact that you got the 4gb version gives you the edge in high res/multi monitor gaming.

Personally if I already have a motherboard that can do SLI, I'd wanna use it regardless.  But it comes down to how much you can get off the 960 if you sell it.

I like sli, but it's one of those things where most the time you don't get to drop it in and forget it like a single card.
You'll have to make sure a game has sli support, or you'll just be using one 960...
I've never thought about 960 sli before, if you do it post your results please?
That being said the 970 is about fifty to hundred dollars more than a 960, you could sell the one 960 or just save what you would've used for second card a little longer..
Then you'd have a good enough gpu for a lan/home theater rig just laying around for later lol

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Sli 960 is pointless, sell it and get a 980 or 980ti.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |