Are youtube comments now mid 2015 still THAT bad? Let's talk negative feedback [wall of text warning]

Misanthrope

It seems to be a big divide since Linus and many other youtubers and streamers do say "Like or Dislike, comment and subscribe" and some even go as far as saying "If you have a positive or negative remark leave it in the comments"

Now I know why they ask since dislike and negative comments still generate attention and henceforth traffic and revenue for the video, negative comments can potentially cause even repeated hits and such but I also noticed people like Logan directing people to the forums only (Last Noctua video he even said he turned off all youtube comments for him and he just wont see any) as well as TB infamous for having comments on his videos completely disabled.

Now I can understand it in the case of TB since he's got big enough that he doesn't really needs the extra traction but arguably, Tek Syndicate does, even if it's just a little bit more every bit helps I would assume. Not only that the comments I've seen on youtube lately are actually rather positive or civilized and there's certainly a lot less "shit posts" than there used to be. Are people really only going on infamy more than anything?

And even if they can be considered somewhat bad, wouldn't you as a content creator want to hear from non-fans and random viewers that yes might be shit posters but are still offering valuable insight since they're not inside your community of positive reinforcement loop, in other words, you might think you're the best ever and there's nothing to improve if you only listen to the adoring fans and label any an all negative feedback as "trolls"

What do you think of negative feedback? I don't necessarily think that you should be required to have a thick skin but if it gets big enough that you get a lot of trolls you also can delegate the community management to employees or volunteers if you don't like the added attention and constant criticism. For some people I get that it might be a delicate balancing act between not wanting to appear arrogant and not wanting to deal with constant irrational hate, threats, accusations, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wall of text...

Also no they're not that bad

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

They are fine.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I disagree with everyone above, YouTube comments are terrible.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Tek syndicate doesn't really need them though.

They're more interested in getting actual feedback, not 12yr olds pounding out hate speech about black people and jews, whether that 12yr old gets them 3 more views or not. Logan has even said he prefers his community size, its small enough that the people there are kind, and generally fairly smart, but big enough that its diverse.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

negative feedback (together with competition) is what drives innovation.

and recently i've noticed the IQ of the comments goes down with the IQ of a video.

example:

- if the video is about math (like numberphile) the comments will most likely be classy trolls, people who *actually* knowing what they're on about, and people who think they have the magical answer science hasnt figured out yet.

- if the video is about dry humping trash bags and park benches (people from NL & BE will know what i'm on about by now...) the comments are... well... "nuke from orbit" kinda bad.

controversial topics always tend to turn youtube comments into something to stay away from.

Tek syndicate doesn't really need them though.

They're more interested in getting actual feedback, not 12yr olds pounding out hate speech about black people and jews, whether that 12yr old gets them 3 more views or not.

I comment, I'm almost as old as three 12 years old and at least 1.75x more insightful. And yes I do have a forum account but for the life of me I cannot bring myself to use their forums, they're slow and stupid looking and confusing to use. Yes I know different doesn't means worst but it's rather inconvenient from a personal standpoint.

More over I even comment on LMG videos often since it's way more convenient to just scroll down a bit and type something while still watching the video than stop watching and paying attention trying to navigate back to the forums and find a relevant thread and such, and I have over 7k posts here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

AFAIK TB usually disables comments.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

negative feedback (together with competition) is what drives innovation.

and recently i've noticed the IQ of the comments goes down with the IQ of a video.

example:

- if the video is about math (like numberphile) the comments will most likely be classy trolls, people who *actually* knowing what they're on about, and people who think they have the magical answer science hasnt figured out yet.

- if the video is about dry humping trash bags and park benches (people from NL & BE will know what i'm on about by now...) the comments are... well... "nuke from orbit" kinda bad.

controversial topics always tend to turn youtube comments into something to stay away from.

I kinda noticed exactly that on 9gag for Trump pictures, it's almost always inevitably "He's not racist, he just wants legal immigration this people take our jobs!" and flat out "Well all Mexicans I've met are *insert blatantly racist generalization*" so there's definitely a kind of gravitational field and of course shit will strongly attract shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

For tek syndicate I see where they're coming from. They don't care too much about being huge and passign through the forum makes sure they are talking mostly to their core audience or someone who had the patience of going through registration in order to get to them, which means he probably has something meaningful to say.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For tek syndicate I see where they're coming from. They don't care too much about being huge and passign through the forum makes sure they are talking mostly to their core audience or someone who had the patience of going through registration in order to get to them, which means he probably has something meaningful to say.

Not sure what not caring too much about being huge means. I mean I know they're not in a mad dash to get to 5 million viewers and such but they still basically live off it in the case of at least Logan and Pistol afaik (Wendell and Qain have their own separate gigs) One would think that you can't just stay with the community you have because like all things it eventually would die off, you gotta grow it at least enough to maintain your numbers since even loyal community members eventually slow down and flat out move on there's no such thing as a perpetual, infinitely loyal viewer and supporter.

Plus there's something to be said about negative feedback as I mention, doesn't means you have to dedicate your time to swimming through shit posts but you can still get help from someone and know the gist of the comments and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I got most of that

But YouTube (likewise this forum) is full of attention seeking children. Don't worry yourself it's cool, the comment section in sure will get less and less toxic as we go into the future.

Back in the day when two YouTube comments would rise to the top of the piling steam of shit that is YouTube comments, I used to occasionally see funny comments. Nowadays, I just ignore them, they are worthless.

I dont think there that bad any more just depends what your watching theres always going to be flame wars and trolls its just the nature of the internet but its certainly getting better IMHO.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass