Do people still play arena shooters?

Scruffy90

A friend and I have been looking to play arena shooters online, but I am not aware of any that have a decent sized community, so we always end up going back to unreal tournament 3 and quake. Is there anything that is fairly recent that still has a thriving community?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

is Halo considered Arena shooter? :P

the genre, sadly, kinda died out with all the modern shooters (and when World War 2 shooter became a thing)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Haven't come across any for a quite some time, it's a shame. Yay Unreal Tournament! :D

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Unreal Tournament 99 and 2004 have a lot of players still, not to mention Quake 3.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I'm playing UT4, Quake Live and Toxikk now and then. Although I don't like what Toxikk has become, flegmatically slow.

Check out UT4, free to play (in Alpha, works great though most of the time).  https://www.unrealtournament.com/blog

@Scruffy90

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

toxikk still alive

No idea, don't get to game a lot lately, conference deadlines and so on :/

But last time I've played Toxikk I actually checked my PC cause I though I must be framedropping or something. soooooooo slow

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I'm playing UT4, Quake Live and Toxikk now and then. Although I don't like what Toxikk has become, flegmatically slow.

Check out UT4, free to play (in Alpha, works great though most of the time).  https://www.unrealtournament.com/blog

@Scruffy90

I've been meaning to check out unreal 4, but I've heard that not all servers are active or have games being played.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Gear Up

??

I'd love to find some people to play Quake Live with as I play that all the time.  Was big into Quake 3 and UT2k3-2k4 when they were current and I definitely prefer that to most all of the other shooters out right now.  It's sad too, I just put in a 2nd 980 and the game I find that I play the most is still Quake Live lol

And I have played TOXIKK a decent amount and it's pretty fun, though recently whenever I try to play there is literally nobody playing on any server available.  Kind of sad, especially with how they promoted it would be the triumphant return of the arena shooter.

I haven't played Toxikk for a few months but I didn't like it very much, Unreal Tournament Alpha (4) is far superior. 

Is Overwatch an arena shooter? Might be decent.

They died out though, Epic butchered what community there was with UT3. Hopefully the new game stays true to it's roots.

have you tried openarena?

And here's me thinking about setting up a UT99 server :P I spent far too many hours, days, weeks, months, years(?!) playing that game! Fun fact, there is actually a very small mod out there which adds support for DX9 to the game which optimises performance further and makes it look a little better, there's also an enhanced open GL driver for the game as well http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Have fun!

PS. Are UT99 and Q3A technically retro games now?

They are still alive to a degree, from time to time I host a UT3 LAN party with a few friends, and we installed it on few PC's in our university. And UT99 is always ready in case someone can't run UT3. 

Tried the new UT when alpha launched but it was horrible, only managed to get in a 1000 kill instagib deathmatch. Yeah not happening. How is it looking now?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.