Samsung Fail - Design flaw in Galaxy Note 5 S Pen insertion

It's not like the phone will be damaged forever. All it does is make a sound when you insert it. The guy making the video sounds like he is just trying to hype it up.

How did this pass QA? I thought these phones are tested rigorously to find ANY potential flaw even one as minor as this. Yes, I agree that it's the user fault for putting it in backwards but at the same time this shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. 

There's part of the flaw. You don't need to force the pen to go in backwards, it just slides in. The reason this flaw is known is because someone put the pen in backwards, either on purpose or by accident.

When or where would you see a case like this? You have to physically put it on backyards. But oh no its people go aboard the hate train since people think it already had flaws from start. This s pen thing is just a minor flaw that I doubt see anyone actually accidentally doing it. Even if they were to fix, they should at least add a bump on the end tip on the s pen like other notes.

I'm sorry but this is not a design flaw.

You would think that after millions of years of evolution, common sense would be a must have for all humans, but nope, there's always a dumb one.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

When or where would you see a case like this? You have to physically put it on backyards. But oh no its people go aboard the hate train since people think it already had flaws from start. This s pen thing is just a minor flaw that I doubt see anyone actually accidentally doing it. Even if they were to fix, they should at least add a bump on the end tip on the s pen like other notes.

People are always putting the wrong thing in the wrong hole or the wrong way. There are plenty of tech stories of people doing the most retarded of things. Go read http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/ and you should realize that putting a pen in backwards is quite easy to do.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

People are always putting the wrong thing in the wrong hole or the wrong way. There are plenty of tech stories of people doing the most retarded of things. Go read http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/ and you should realize that putting a pen in backwards is quite easy to do.

For the average consumer, it shouldn't be that easy to do things the wrong way. But putting the s pen backwards is just rare or something that you had to be stupid to do. 

Samy plz fix.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Oh stop it, this is a "review unit" the retail version might be different, and who cares about that sound.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

People have a terrible flaw., some are born stupid.

You should watch the video before talking

Oh stop it, this is a "review unit" the retail version might be different, and who cares about that sound.

Review units are the same one that will be in stores. And its not the sound, the pen locks in. You to break open to fix it.

Look like a revision 2 of the phone can be made with much ease to correct the problem, by as Arokhantos mentioned, to make the tip of the pen a bit larger, so that it doesn't fit the wrong way, assuming Samsung is interesting in fixing it, and not profit from a small increase phone sales if it happens out side of the warranty.

Normally, a company product testing involves having people using the phone wrong. It could be that this issue was found already but that cost money in manufacturing new molds and re do testing production runs, so they where hopping it won't happen. But that is just an assumption. That, or they didn't do product testing because they didn't think it it would be an issue for a smartphone, which is understandable, and just left it to the usual stress testing, where they have machines pressing on button millions of times to see when it will break.

The user manual has a warning which specifically tells you inserting the S-Pen backwards could break things:

manual-0.png?w=655&h=431

This probably means that the issue was indeed identified during testing. Now whether or not they make another revision of the phone that somehow blocks upside-down insertion is really anyone's guess.

I don't think this is a major design flaw. But it will happen to someone eventually, and who's gonna have to fix it? Though I think people getting a +$700 phone would at least be smart enough to not put the S Pen in backwards. You pull out the pen with the tip away from you anyways. But the S Pen should have been designed so that putting it in backwards is impossible. I mean, the Note 4 in the video made it virtually impossible. 

edit: here's another note 5 flaw regarding multitasking

tl;dr the note 5 has aggressive task killers, so past apps have to be reloaded more often. meanwhile the nexus 6 tested doesn't reload any app

there are a couple factors that lend this to occur

1. the fact that the samsung uses a 64-bit processor, which means the OS itself is going to consume more RAM. (source: Flar2 from xda and personal usage of my Nexus 9)

2. probably has to do with the swappiness and VFS cache ratios set by samsung. If people are really bugged by this (which I seriously doubt they will be) they can change it simply through the kernel with 2 edits to the code, or you could just root your phone and change the values yourself in an app like kernel aduiter. 

VFS cache pressure and swappiness help determine how processes are used in the RAM as well as what goes back to the SD card to save RAM. TL;DR simple fix if they get enough backlash.

For the average consumer, it shouldn't be that easy to do things the wrong way. But putting the s pen backwards is just rare or something that you had to be stupid to do. 

The average consumer is an idiot. Kids are a thing. The pen should not break when put in backwards or even be possible to put in backwards.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

The average consumer is an idiot. Kids are a thing. The pen should not break when put in backwards or even be possible to put in backwards.

The guess the only thing that you should worry is about not breaking the sensor/getting the pen stuck. :/

The guess the only thing that you should worry is about not breaking the sensor/getting the pen stuck. :/

I don't get your comment... All you've said is what happens when the pen is inserted the wrong way.

laptop

I don't get your comment... All you've said is what happens when the pen is inserted the wrong way.

Well if you actually did insert the pen the wrong way, you might just broke it as the sensor might be broken and the pen is stuck. 

Well if you actually did insert the pen the wrong way, you might just broke it as the sensor might be broken and the pen is stuck. 

ya... That's what the flaw is. The pen shouldn't break the phone if inserted the wrong way or you shouldn't be able to insert it in backwards.

laptop

ya... That's what the flaw is. The pen shouldn't break the phone if inserted the wrong way or you shouldn't be able to insert it in backwards.

Samsung could probably fix it by putting a bump to prevent it putting backwards, there's no way i can put the s pen backwards on my Note 3. 

The Note 4 doesn't allow it either...the S-Pen detection (if it's on) throws a hissy-fit with vibrations (and sound) to warn you that you're trying to insert it the wrong way.

While I don't exactly count this as a 'design-flaw', I will accede to the point that Samsung should have 'keyed' it physically in such a way to prevent it going all the way in backwards. 

Samsung could probably fix it by putting a bump to prevent it putting backwards, there's no way i can put the s pen backwards on my Note 3. 

It is an extremely easy and basic thing. I've yet to see a stylus that could go in backwards. No idea why they didn't key this one.

laptop

It is an extremely easy and basic thing. I've yet to see a stylus that could go in backwards. No idea why they didn't key this one.

Probably because they never though of anybody putting in the stylus in backwards. xD

When i get my Note 5, i wonder if it's the same as my Note 3. 

I'm reducing the time I spend on here and other tech forums because I'm afraid it will rub off on me. Not only are so many condescending, but a lot also seem detached from reality.

same here. LTT just seasm full of the same people always acting like total tools......the Ashley Madison thread is a fine example, people actually applauding other people, killing them selves. a new low point

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Wow so its not the detection of the removal in the software, its an actual physical braking of hardware. That's pretty fucked up.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)