Thermal paste~

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

the difference between the worst good paste, and the best good paste is a few degrees.

that said, the stock cooler has decent paste on it, dont bother with it.

Is Arctic Silver 5 a good one? I have some left over and I'm thinking about upgrading the paste that was on my stock cooler; maybe give it a bit of a boost (sense I KNOW that the stock stuff is crap).

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

No don't. It usually doesn't help much as it did back in the old days. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

It's better to get yourself a better cooler, maybe a hyper 212?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

the difference between the worst good paste, and the best good paste is a few degrees.

that said, the stock cooler has decent paste on it, dont bother with it.

Artic Silver 5 is a good thermal paste. However, it is conductive, so be carefull with where you put it.

But changing out the thermal paste on your cooler is probably not worth it. By now, the factory applied thermal paste is of pretty good quality.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The best thermal paste is thermal grizzly then noctua nt h1 is only a few degrees behind it. Get either of them and a 212 evo for much better temperatures.

Steve

if the paste on the stock coolers isnt that old, it likely wont help much. the limiting factor right now is the stock cooler itself, rather than the thermal paste...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

It's better getting a new aftermarket one to replace the stock cooler :D Changing the thermal paste won't help that much especially with the stock cooler

Spoiler

Is Arctic Silver 5 a good one? I have some left over and I'm thinking about upgrading the paste that was on my stock cooler; maybe give it a bit of a boost (sense I KNOW that the stock stuff is crap).

Why change the thermal paste if everything is fine? :P

The best thermal paste is thermal grizzly then noctua nt h1 is only a few degrees behind it. Get either of them and a 212 evo for much better temperatures.

There is no such thing as the "best" thermal paste.

It's better to get yourself a better cooler, maybe a hyper 212?

I actually have that planned in the near future; just need the money ><

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

The best is Coolab Liquid Ultra, although I wouldn't call it a paste.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Artic Silver 5 is a good thermal paste. However, it is conductive, so be carefull with where you put it.

But changing out the thermal paste on your cooler is probably not worth it. By now, the factory applied thermal paste is of pretty good quality.

I looked it up and Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive.

Hmm, I see. Well, I learned learned something new today. Thank you for the correction.

You should still be carefull seeing how it is still capacitive.  

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Well it uses 99.9% pure silver.... I think it would be.

AS5 is not conductive, but is slightly capacitive, meaning it won't short circuit your hardware, but could alter the signal and cause issues if spilled over.

yea there is

Every test about thermal paste shows a different result.

It depends on the CPU you use, the Cooler, the ambient temperature, the air pressure, air moisture and so on...

yea there is

Liquid metal shouldn't be used with aluminium, and the heat spreader is aluminium, so unless you delid ...

Every test about thermal paste shows a different result.

It depends on the CPU you use, the Cooler, the ambient temperature, the air pressure, air moisture and so on...

Of course, its a guideline not definite rules of which one to go by but its still something to help choose and show which performs the best.

Liquid metal shouldn't be used with aluminium, and the heat spreader is aluminium, so unless you delid ...

That's why i didnt say to get a liquid metal paste

Steve

How about we don't have a comp. geek war on this thread? xD