If Zen fails?

They've never expressed much interest, nor do I think they themselves would go out of the way to purchase them, even if that is one of the last industries they've yet to conquer.  Most likely  Microsoft or Apple, but Google can't be ruled out.

ok, i'd just rather have google over anyone else because at least i know they would give intel a run for their money while having enough money to make a lot and not overpriced like apple

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

no the socket g34 is really for file servers.

I have access to these types of machines(except with 4 CPU's, which I cant afford in many ways), I've done all the things I want on them and they work great, I just have to buy the stuff. Also, CPU's aren't built for specific tasks(like file serving), they are just categorized as "server" chips because of the core count, ECC support, high binning(to allow 12 cores in a 115w package), and ability to support multi socket boards, which most consumers have zero use for. Sure, they work better for things like file serving(or in my case, VM's and rendering, so server tasks), but they aren't built just for file serving(this would be like saying the 4690k was built for gaming, which no, no it was not).

It may have a lot of threads, however at only 2.6Ghz they are extremely slow in any task. You'd want at least 1 module per VM. At least.

That's basically my plan(although I was planing 2 modules per VM for my regular VM's). I'm one of the few people that needs more cores lol, so different from 99% of people on this forum.

ok, i'd just rather have google over anyone else because at least i know they would give intel a run for their money while having enough money to make a lot and not overpriced like apple

Google or Apple would be able to just inject money like mad if they got a hold of AMD.  It'd be interesting.  Apple may or may not introduce a premium.  I think if they did want to take over AMD and gun for market control - they'd adopt a different strategy as compared to the Iphone and Ipad venture.  Especially given not so many will be blind sheep in computer hardware, and especially not enterprise.

I have access to these types of machines(except with 4 CPU's, which I cant afford in many ways), I've done all the things I want on them and they work great, I just have to buy the stuff. Also, CPU's aren't built for specific tasks(like file serving), they are just categorized as "server" chips because of the core count, ECC support, high binning(to allow 12 cores in a 115w package), and ability to support multi socket boards, which most consumers have zero use for. Sure, they work better for things like file serving(or in my case, VM's and rendering, so server tasks), but they aren't built just for file serving(this would be like saying the 4690k was built for gaming, which no, no it was not).

That's basically my plan(although I was planing 2 modules per VM for my regular VM's). I'm one of the few people that needs more cores lol, so different from 99% of people on this forum.

ok good luck. 2ghz and high cores are for file, transferring.

Google or Apple would be able to just inject money like mad if they got a hold of AMD.  It'd be interesting.  Apple may or may not introduce a premium.  I think if they did want to take over AMD and gun for market control - they'd adopt a different strategy as compared to the Iphone and Ipad venture.  Especially given not so many will be blind sheep in computer hardware, and especially not enterprise.

well still apple would just make them overpriced for the performance they have

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Personally, I believe AMD can make zen work.

Now, we now what segments AMD is targeting first; Servers, and hopefully some chips for the PC.

Intel have a good grip on the server market, however, they cannot fulfill every costumers needs, which is where AMD comes in.

If AMDs advantages include I/O, HSA (mostly for embedded), x86 throughput, or whatever, they can fill up some niche markets in the server market.

Seen AMDs availability on carrizo in laptops is really sad. Most dont even have 1080p screen or no SSD.

Intels relationships with OEM, basically stock out all AMD products.

Always hoped that some OEM would step on Intels toe, and go ahead and made exclusive AMD products.

However, all OEMs have relations to Intel in some way or another, and I doubt it would happen.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

x86 and x64 aren't actually that good, the only reason we still use it today is becuase they've been used for so long. For example, you can make non x86 processors that are cheaper and faster (think the PS4-though it is apparently a bitch to program for)

Actually the PS4 uses a x86 processor.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

also for windows to run properly you need x86-x64

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Considering the Jaguar based APU are x86-64.....and that consoles use a slightly customized version....

also for windows to run properly you need x86-x64

Only if you have the 64bit version. I upgraded my old Tecra M5 from its x86 Core Duo T2600 to a x86-64 Core 2 Duo T7600 just so I could use the 64bit version of Windows 7.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Im sure Zen is gonna kick intel butt this time HBM is gonna take things to a whole new level 

They have their GPU as their cussion. I don't think they'll die off that easily.

IF they do, like others said they have arctic.

IF by any chance they fail they either

1. Get bought off
  2. Kill their CPUs
  3. Find a way to enter the market for really cheap stuff. AMD's already good at that.

I produce music!

Honestly zen cant be any more of a failure than skylake was. Remember how hyped that crap was on this forum? Yeah what now 11 percent performance increase over last gen lmfao. Yeah that was worth the "hype" wasnt it fanboys. *rolls eyes* Honestly Zen is the most interesting thing cpu related to happen in a while, i cant be the only one tired of intel flooding the market for no good reason, they are boring, over done, dried up. oh a new intel cpu.... again......... *sarcastic yay* the only way zen can fail is to be weaker than the two skylake cpus that just dropped. Otherwise though as long as its atleast that powerful, its going to be a worthwhile product with amds trade mark competitive pricing. new AM4 platform. ddr4 ram support. 8 and 12 core models out of the gate for dekstop users with no built in gpu (the way a real gaming cpu should be take note intel) its basically going to level the playing field, and i hope this signals AMD's return to trading pot shots with intel. ive also heard they have a world class team working on these new chips. I wouldnt be shocked if a lot of intel users make the jump over to amd when zen hits tbh. I have a feeling amd has been saving up for along time and silently watching waiting to strike. but of course time can only tell, just please dont be as yawn tastic as the fury launch was. seriously amd. wtf was that?

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Honestly zen cant be any more of a failure than skylake was. Remember how hyped that crap was on this forum? Yeah what now 11 percent performance increase over last gen lmfao. Yeah that was worth the "hype" wasnt it fanboys. *rolls eyes* Honestly Zen is the most interesting thing cpu related to happen in a while, i cant be the only one tired of intel flooding the market for no good reason, they are boring, over done, dried up. oh a new intel cpu.... again......... *sarcastic yay* the only way zen can fail is to be weaker than the two skylake cpus that just dropped. Otherwise though as long as its atleast that powerful, its going to be a worthwhile product with amds trade mark competitive pricing. new AM4 platform. ddr4 ram support. 8 and 12 core models out of the gate for dekstop users with no built in gpu (the way a real gaming cpu should be take note intel) its basically going to level the playing field, and i hope this signals AMD's return to trading pot shots with intel. ive also heard they have a world class team working on these new chips. I wouldnt be shocked if a lot of intel users make the jump over to amd when zen hits tbh. I have a feeling amd has been saving up for along time and silently watching waiting to strike. but of course time can only tell, just please dont be as yawn tastic as the fury launch was. seriously amd. wtf was that?

Its interesting when AMD is predicting its performance to be near that of Haswell? Ok.... what ever floats your boat. Why would people side grade from their current rigs unless they are pre Sandybridge?

PMSL

Anyone concerned about VRM's should actually click on several of the links on the spreadsheet. You will find most of the "VRM hype" is pure BS. Some boards fried outside of the vrm,some cpu's are intel and most have no pics(always a red flag in the cellphone age).

Some of these falure are simply case screws being crossthreaded, any small sliver of metal lands on the board where the volt are low (ie high amps) and you get a common short.

You have a vrm in your car, usually in back of the alternator, integrated with a full wave rectifier. If your alternator fails your car won't stutter (google vrm stutter for laughs) or catch fire.

This whole VRM issue was invented by fanboys who know zero about basic electricity and electronics and is ignored by anyone with brains.

Spot welders use low voltage /high amp juice to weld stuff.

Not many posts warning of crossthreading but it MUCH more of a concern then ESD.

The ignore feature makes this forum much more enjoyable without clowns saying every budget segment MUST have an intel chip or VRM's are gonna jump off the beard and start

world war 3 and set your cat on fire

I am sorry, but you are fundamentally wrong here from an electrical standpoint

Amps = heat. Higher amps means more heat

Voltage = penetration. Lower voltage means lower and lower distance the electricity can travel outside of its conductor.

For instance, the average human require a shock of 50volts to penetrate the outer skin and into the nerves/bloodstream. There is exceptions and that is body tissue or if your skin is wet or oily. These are the only conditions where electricity can penetrate skin with lower then 50 volts. If the electrons cannot penetrate, they cannot do jack shit.

Unless metal is pressed against metal, just the microscopic gap of air between a metal filing and the metal parts on the board would require much more then 1.4 to 1.5 volts for the electrons to jump.

What can happen is that the power draw (amps) are so high that temperatures causes the soldering to get soft. But by then your board is on life support if it ever reaches temps that high, and that metal filing would simply be the deathblow to an already beaten horse.

Spot welding also require you to stay super super close to the surface you are working with, their graphene rods are super good conductors, but even then, they must close the distance between the rod and the surface being welded down to a few millimeters.... The high amps are there to cause metal to melt.

if you reverse the process and make it extreme voltage but low amps, you can create a arc across a small room, but you wouldnt cause much heat, just some soot on the surface.

Anyone concerned about VRM's should actually click on several of the links on the spreadsheet. You will find most of the "VRM hype" is pure BS. Some boards fried outside of the vrm,some cpu's are intel and most have no pics(always a red flag in the cellphone age).

Some of these falure are simply case screws being crossthreaded, any small sliver of metal lands on the board where the volt are low (ie high amps) and you get a common short.

You have a vrm in your car, usually in back of the alternator, integrated with a full wave rectifier. If your alternator fails your car won't stutter (google vrm stutter for laughs) or catch fire.

This whole VRM issue was invented by fanboys who know zero about basic electricity and electronics and is ignored by anyone with brains.

Spot welders use low voltage /high amp juice to weld stuff.

Not many posts warning of crossthreading but it MUCH more of a concern then ESD.

The ignore feature makes this forum much more enjoyable without clowns saying every budget segment MUST have an intel chip or VRM's are gonna jump off the beard and start

world war 3 and set your cat on fire

Ok, now I know your trolling. Reported.

PMSL

Voltage = penetration. Lower voltage means lower and lower distance the electricity can travel outside of its conductor.

Spot welders use low voltage /high amp juice to weld stuff.​

Actually I think we agree although my post was poorly worded. Since the VRM reduces voltage you get an increase in amps per ohms law. A drop to 1.5 volts is gonna have a lot of amps .So yes amps equal heat, lots of heat.

Would a microscopic gap from a metal filing falling onto the motherboard protect it from a short at 1.5 volts? Maybe your right on this. Maybe Linus can test this in a video. I ain't gonna that's fer sure.

Ok, now I know your trolling. Reported.

i think he is too. I think he is confused. He mixed up some things.

Spot welders use low voltage /high amp juice to weld stuff.​

Actually I think we agree although my post was poorly worded. Since the VRM reduces voltage you get an increase in amps per ohms law. A drop to 1.5 volts is gonna have a lot of amps .So yes amps equal heat, lots of heat.

Would a microscopic gap from a metal filing falling onto the motherboard protect it from a short at 1.5 volts? Maybe your right on this. Maybe Linus can test this in a video. I ain't gonna that's fer sure.

ive dropped nuts and bolts while working down between phases running 400v and 250 amps... trust me, it takes A LOT of bad luck to cause a short on a mobo with metal filings alone.