UK gets first 1Gb broadband connection

CH3WB4R88

^^^

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Its been out ages, just to expensive arse apartments though.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

It seems like good news at first, but it's really just showing how bad the UK's broadband infrastructure is. We're a relatively small country, yet our average speed is 6.2mbps, which is pathetic. MPs and the government in general have vowed again and again to provide the best broadband infrastructure in Europe, but no one is developing anything. Virgin Media is the only one kind of expanding their Fibre network, but even then, it's almost entirely FTTC where ever you go. Wish a company would step up and provide FTTP at a decent price, without all the line rental, TV packages and extra crap on top. 

It seems like good news at first, but it's really just showing how bad the UK's broadband infrastructure is. We're a relatively small country, yet our average speed is 6.2mbps, which is pathetic. MPs and the government in general have vowed again and again to provide the best broadband infrastructure in Europe, but no one is developing anything. Virgin Media is the only one kind of expanding their Fibre network, but even then, it's almost entirely FTTC where ever you go. Wish a company would step up and provide FTTP at a decent price, without all the line rental, TV packages and extra crap on top. 

It's about time for the UK, are internet not something to be proud of it's basically a BT monopoly with Virgin Media being the only ones expanding with independence. I'm supposed to have the faster internet with 150mb cap on Virgin Media but it can be really inconsistent and cut out whenever it likes.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Their 100Mbps package is £3 cheaper a month than my current 38Mbps package. Shame it isnt in Walsall yet. It is coming to Birmingham soon though 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Come on, please!

Didn't read rules and posting information from 4 going on 5 years ago... 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

*yawn*

1Gbps internet connections are old news here in Singapore, and available to anywhere with a fibre connection (read: almost everywhere - they were targeting 95% coverage by mid-2012; I couldn't find the latest numbers but I won't be surprised if it's closer to 99% now). In fact, I'm on a 1Gbps connection right now, and I have the numbers to prove it:

4601871827.png

Best of all, I only have to pay about S$40 a month for the duration of my 24-month contract, after which it goes up to S$99 a month, but I will probably be recontracting by then so it doesn't matter.

Its been out ages, just to expensive arse apartments though.

Negative. I lived in an apartment as a student for 2 years, and just got the 100mbps in my flat installed. They usually go for big complexes (by building has 270+ flats) because its cost effective. So as long as your building is big and fairly new, they might have it on radar.

*yawn*

1Gbps internet connections are old news here in Singapore, and available to anywhere with a fibre connection (read: almost everywhere - they were targeting 95% coverage by mid-2012; I couldn't find the latest numbers but I won't be surprised if it's closer to 99% now). In fact, I'm on a 1Gbps connection right now, and I have the numbers to prove it:

4601871827.png

Best of all, I only have to pay about S$40 a month for the duration of my 24-month contract, after which it goes up to S$99 a month, but I will probably be recontracting by then so it doesn't matter.

That's lovely, but you're in singapore, one of the most advanced cities on the planet, whilst this is about the UK being slow af at advancing its internet technology.

There's an apartment block down the road from me that should be getting this soon, according to their map, but I wish they'd roll it out to homes and not large apartments, then I might be able to get it as well.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I currently get 152/12 with Virgin Media and they are pretty much doubling the download speed on all packages before the end of the year for pretty much all of their customers. So I will have 300 down and I assume they'll give an increase to upload speed as well so hopefully it'll be towards the 50 mark. The good thing about Virgin Media is that they use coxial which can do gigabit speeds a good distance away from the cabinent. I hope they move to FTTH from FTTC in the future but that is a long way down the road at this rate.

everyone i know on vm gets more than what they pay for, apart from the upload which sucks tbh, i get 80 down 20 up with bt. but the issue with virgin media is, a lot of the time the few people i know get really bad latency and it doesnt seem to be that reliable, i mean its not just spikes from 10ms to 100ms its spikes from 10ms to over 1500ms, they need to sort the network out in all  fairness.

virgin have used coaxial for years and i dont understand why every other provider stuck with copper.... they're losing out on money, whats the point in talk talk and sky having a 40/10 80/20 then a 1000/1000 package (starting in york)  and why nothing in-between, they're idiots.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

oh nice... UK finally is where Eastern EU was 10 years ago

oh nice... UK finally is where Eastern EU was 10 years ago

Article is from Oct 2011, its not news at all.

Topic should probably be locked/closed.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4