Galaxy Note 5 Active - The Proper Note?

Suika

0a5d65813de74a695f4a2965eef708ea.png

(click for sauce)

Function over design in a phone I say, that's where the Note 5 Active comes in. If only it wasn't carrier exclusive.

I have to be honest, the Galaxy Note 5 is a proper phone, having had a hands on with it. It feels like its price tag implies but it otherwise doesn't sound all that impressive over the previous Galaxy S6. Heck, I'd rather save a couple dollars and get the S6 Edge over the Note 5, but that's just me. Anyway, rumor has it that for the first time, we'll get an Active variant of the device, hopefully Samsung will stop giving dibs to AT&T. If not now, maybe later.

Samsung has had three previous Actives, from the S4, S5, and S6, but this would be the first Note if it's true. It'll have the general attributes of the Active phones being water and dust resistant, physical buttons (trading off the finger print scanner), and a larger battery. How much larger of a battery? That's the yummy part, Phone Arena states it'll be 4,100mAh over 3,000, which is a proper battery for the Note 5.

There were persistent rumors from several sources that the Note5 will have a huge, 4100 mAh battery pack, which should have made for some spectacular longevity, given how optimized Samsung's display and chipset power consumption are. [...] We just received tips that there will be a Galaxy Note 5 Active model released in November on AT&T, and it will sport a 4100 mAh juicer, with all else staying true to the regular Note5.

Rumors have it that it'll be available in November, exclusive for AT&T. I really dislike the exclusivity, I'm not signing up for AT&T anytime soon, but it's nice to look at these phones through the window I guess. Man, just think of that battery life. It makes me wish AT&T wasn't so stingy.

So what do you guys think? Does this bigger battery and more durable build sound appealing? Or would you prefer the Galaxy Note 5 in its more luxurious looking body, the one that just screams its own price tag?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

ugggh physical button why

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well, it's probably never going to come to Australia, ever, so I don't care.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

b/c its the "samsung" way :)

I know and i hate so very much

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

source? just seen it

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

eh. Virtual buttons take up space dou.. like 3-4 cm's of the screen

its only like 10 pixels in height man.....

Yes let's keep the active versions only on ATT. I would love to get an active note, even if I have to put up with android. Now it's att exclusive and I get left out in the cold. 

On AT&T, but probably won't be able to get it because my parents want the 6S for their upgrade (currently using the 6 and 6 Plus and would be selling the new phones) and I would have to upgrade around that time...

I'm waiting for an invite for One Plus Two, possibly the next ZenFone, Next Nexus (the Huawei one looks more interesting that the LG one).

If not, it'll be a battle between the Note 5 (but damn is it expensive), S6 and LG G4.

I was looking to upgrading my phone to a note 5 and was waiting for the specs. Unfortunately the note 5 does not have a micro sd slot. My current note 2 still works very well, despite my son dumping it in the toilet today. I'm going to get the note 4 instead. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I was looking to upgrading my phone to a note 5 and was waiting for the specs. Unfortunately the note 5 does not have a micro sd slot. My current note 2 still works very well, despite my son dumping it in the toilet today. I'm going to get the note 4 instead. 

Yeah not having a microsd card sucks (using a S4), but realizing that I used my otg cable with my USB 3.0 a lot more now (cuz transfering files with 3.0 is stupid fast rather than directly copying to phone), it didn't steer me away from the Note 5.

Yeah not having a microsd card sucks (using a S4), but realizing that I used my otg cable with my USB 3.0 a lot more now (cuz transfering files with 3.0 is stupid fast rather than directly copying to phone), it didn't steer me away from the Note 5.

I want to give me son my hand me down. He currently has a ipad3/air its bulky and cumbersome to travel with. Also I'm not giving Apple my money to buy movie and TV episodes. So having a phone that i can "legally"  add movies to the sd card is perfect. I hate giving apple my money, personal.    

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Might be a bit late on this but I'm still gonna post anyway. I've had the Galaxy Note 3 for the past two years and I loved it, although over the past 3 months I've been having problems ranging from the thing just turning off randomly to the battery literally just draining from x% to 0% for no reason, even if I put a new battery in the same result would happen. After hearing about the Note 5 I was stoked, because I was gonna buy the LG G4 because the Note 3 was starting to become a nuisance. So I got the 64GB Note 5 from AT&T(thankfully I have grandfathered unlimited data except I cant tether with the device which I don't do anyway) on Saturday and I have to say its been amazing, no complaints from me. The phone really feels like a premium phone compared to any other phone I've held. There is actually little to no bloatware that would actually not be useful except for about five or six apps which I disable anyway, a free Uber ride, Instagram being installed already as well as few apps. The OS along with the icons are much more premium then the normal Lolipop icons that look foolish, the sounds of the watery consistency are gone (if that kind of makes sense.) The camera holy shit is it amazing, although I haven't taken that many photos except while moving in the car(passenger seat) the pictures come out crystal clear, so nothing new same results as with the S6 or S6 Edge. The battery despite being smaller is actually amazing, I was playing with the phone browsing the web for about an hour with the brightness up to at least 75% and it only went down ~10% with in the hour. The phone is something that is really amazing and should not be passed just because the battery is not interchangeable or you cant expand the storage, because I never used more then 20GB of storage anyway. Oh and Samsung pay works as well, if you were wondering. Also if you have a phone where the market price of it is about $200 like the 32GB Note 2 it is a welcomed upgrade to trade in with the AT&T deal for either the Note 5 or the S6 Edge+. Finally don't upgrade if you have the Note 4, S6, or S6 Edge. Its not that worth an upgrade compared to a upgrade from a two year old phone.

on a 2560x1440 screen 10 pixels would be unnoticeable. Like you literally wouldn't be able to see it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Might be a bit late on this but I'm still gonna post anyway. I've had the Galaxy Note 3 for the past two years and I loved it, although over the past 3 months I've been having problems ranging from the thing just turning off randomly to the battery literally just draining from x% to 0% for no reason, even if I put a new battery in the same result would happen. After hearing about the Note 5 I was stoked, because I was gonna buy the LG G4 because the Note 3 was starting to become a nuisance. So I got the 64GB Note 5 from AT&T(thankfully I have grandfathered unlimited data except I cant tether with the device which I don't do anyway) on Saturday and I have to say its been amazing, no complaints from me. The phone really feels like a premium phone compared to any other phone I've held. There is actually little to no bloatware that would actually not be useful except for about five or six apps which I disable anyway, a free Uber ride, Instagram being installed already as well as few apps. The OS along with the icons are much more premium then the normal Lolipop icons that look foolish, the sounds of the watery consistency are gone (if that kind of makes sense.) The camera holy shit is it amazing, although I haven't taken that many photos except while moving in the car(passenger seat) the pictures come out crystal clear, so nothing new same results as with the S6 or S6 Edge. The battery despite being smaller is actually amazing, I was playing with the phone browsing the web for about an hour with the brightness up to at least 75% and it only went down ~10% with in the hour. The phone is something that is really amazing and should not be passed just because the battery is not interchangeable or you cant expand the storage, because I never used more then 20GB of storage anyway. Oh and Samsung pay works as well, if you were wondering. Also if you have a phone where the market price of it is about $200 like the 32GB Note 2 it is a welcomed upgrade to trade in with the AT&T deal for either the Note 5 or the S6 Edge+. Finally don't upgrade if you have the Note 4, S6, or S6 Edge. Its not that worth an upgrade compared to a upgrade from a two year old phone.

Same situation as you, i have a Note 3 that's been doing random stuff in the past few months and was going to get the Note 4 but i heard that the Note 5 came out so decided to get that.

I have to wait to Saturday to buy it tho...:/

Thanks for your info as your in the same situation as me.

Now just waiting for my Verizon Note 5 32GB......

OP:

ATT....the active always have to be on ATT...

Not for me, sticking with Verizon. 

(click for sauce)

Function over design in a phone I say, that's where the Note 5 Active comes in. If only it wasn't carrier exclusive.

50 times this.

No it's not. It reduces actual usable screen size by around 0.3". I have an HTC One M7 (4.7") and a Nexus 5 (5") right in front of me, even though the Nexus 5 has a noticeably larger screen overall, because it uses software keys, actual usable screen space is practically identical. I actually prefer hardware navigation keys, but they don't necessarily have to be physical, the M7's capacitive ones work well.

"Rawr XD"

ugggh physical button why

Because phusical buttons are glorious.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

No it's not. It reduces actual usable screen size by around 0.3". I have an HTC One M7 (4.7") and a Nexus 5 (5") right in front of me, even though the Nexus 5 has a noticeably larger screen overall, because it uses software keys, actual usable screen space is practically identical. I actually prefer hardware navigation keys, but they don't necessarily have to be physical, the M7's capacitive ones work well.

it was a hyperbole man... My moto g has at least 20 pixels (maybe 30) of buttons. But my tablet has hardware buttons AND ITS ALWAYS IN THE WAY

I want to give me son my hand me down. He currently has a ipad3/air its bulky and cumbersome to travel with. Also I'm not giving Apple my money to buy movie and TV episodes. So having a phone that i can "legally"  add movies to the sd card is perfect. I hate giving apple my money, personal.    

The phone detects the usb drive the same way as an external SD Card, so no problems there if you don't mind a small cable and usb drive connected. Not to mention, Note 5 has better battery life than the Note 4 despite lower capacity.

it was a hyperbole man... My moto g has at least 20 pixels (maybe 30) of buttons. But my tablet has hardware buttons AND ITS ALWAYS IN THE WAY

Do you know what pixels are? Software buttons use at least 90 or more pixels (height wise) depending on the resolution...

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Do you know what pixels are? Software buttons use at least 90 or more pixels (height wise) depending on the resolution...

no way its 90 on mine if it was 90 it would takeup 1/7 of my scree...

no way its 90 on mine if it was 90 it would takeup 1/7 of my scree...

Is your phone 10 years old? Because I don't think your resolution is 630p....

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX