R9 390 vs Gtx 970- I need help!

DunGoofed

Making a new build. But I can't decide what Gpu to get.

This one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-041-IN

Or this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-374-AS

Thanks for the help in advance

I'm having the same doubts... :/ but I think I'll go with the R9 390, because it's more future-proof (8gigs of Vram against 3.5 for the gtx 970) 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_review,12.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_r9_390_pcs_8gb_review,14.html

390 Outperforms 970

390 is more expensive than 970 (typically, depends on location)

AMD cards are expected to gain huge performance boosts when DX12 gets released

Whatever floats your boat man.

I produce music!

I would go with the 970. because the amd lineup has some "issues" with the drivers from the last gen. don't bother yourself with the 3.5gb nonsense if youre going for 1080p you should be fine.

I would go with the 970. because the amd lineup has some "issues" with the drivers from the last gen. don't bother yourself with the 3.5gb nonsense if youre going for 1080p you should be fine.

Where's the dislike button?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

If you're going for 1080p then go with the GTX 970 as they perform practically the same. If you plan on higher resolutions though you may want to go for the R9 390.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Where's the dislike button?

look buddy i'm ain't no fanboys or ACboys xD

but if youre going for a 1080p go for 970 or if you are wanna go for the 390 go for it what stoping you ? 

the two of them is great but the r9 200 cards had proplems with drivers and the issue is in 300 series too.

the 300 series are stoping becuse of the drivers and we know it. no fanboys :D

I'm having the same doubts... :/ but I think I'll go with the R9 390, because it's more future-proof (8gigs of Vram against 3.5 for the gtx 970) 

The 970 has 4Gigs of Vram. 

3.45 gigs of normal Vram, and 0.5 gig of slow VRAM that make your setup lag if it's accessed 

I've had both, its reasonably INDISTINGUISHABLE (for all but the enthusiasts) to tell the difference at any glance without knowing already which display is running from what card.

Performance is within margin of error on many games (above 60fps, under 100fps) for both cards, and just blankly looking at the monitor you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. SRSLY.

I run my games at 1440p, NEVER ONCE hitting my Vram limit. Never Once having any Vram related issues. Never Once wishing I had another card.

FYI - 290/290X (Ive had both) were running at 1100Mhz and my G1-GTX 970 stays at 1404Mhz, performance in MANY titles are so similar you'd not notice which was what.

GET WHAT GPU CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE AND FEATURES YOU PREFER - Its the main difference you'll have to get used to, performance is too similar.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

look buddy i'm ain't no fanboys or ACboys xD

but if youre going for a 1080p go for 970 or if you are wanna go for the 390 go for it what stoping you ? 

the two of them is great but the r9 200 cards had proplems with drivers and the issue is in 300 series too.

the 300 series are stoping becuse of the drivers and we know it. no fanboys :D

Both the 300 series and the Maxwell series GPUs have no driver problems. Research.

youre late for the party. The GTX 970 has 3.5 gigs of vram and 0.5 gigs of much slower vram. so yeah pretty much 3.5 gigs.

Making a new build. But I can't decide what Gpu to get.

This one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-041-IN

Or this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-374-AS

Thanks for the help in advance

The 390 is a stronger card than the 970. If youre going to be playing at 1080p they will preform very much the same, but if youre reaching for higher resolutions id say the 390 is a safer bet. The reason i didnt go with AMD is beacuse ive only had issues with their stuff, and the drivers.... ugh.... But its really up to you, also might want to check the price difference between these 2 cards where you live.

3.45 gigs of normal Vram, and 0.5 gig of slow VRAM that make your setup lag if it's accessed 

Yes, the last 500MB of Vram is slower, but its there, so it has 4Gigs not 3.5.

youre late for the party. The GTX 970 has 3.5 gigs of vram and 0.5 gigs of much slower vram. so yeah pretty much 3.5 gigs.

No, the GTX 970 has 4Gigs of Vram, however the last 500MB is much slower, so it DOES have 4Gigs, but the last 500MB is pretty much useless, but note its there...

No, the GTX 970 has 4Gigs of Vram, however the last 500MB is much slower, so it DOES have 4Gigs, but the last 500MB is pretty much useless, but note its there...

it's there but useless. yeah pretty sure you are on drugs :D

dude useless is useless whatever the thing.

3.5GB or 4GB, however you look at it, it STILL PERFORMS AS EXPECTED.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3.5GB or 4GB, however you look at it, it STILL PERFORMS AS EXPECTED.

pretty much.

Why comment when your comments are absolutely useless?

Why reply if they are so useless??? Your entitled to your opinion in the same way I am mate just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make their opinion any more or less useless than yours

Anyway, I was just sayin' there's a like button, why can't there be a dislike button, there is on YouTube...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Get the 390. It performs better and has more VRAM. I don't see where does the hesitation comes from?

That's coming from someone with a 970, who's pretty happy with it, but  still wouldn't risk with the slow memory issue, if had the choice at the time. The 290Xs were expensive as F here.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

No its actually not, the way Maxwell is designed allowed Nvidia to have the drivers write to it when the main vRAM is being read, and read from when the main vRAM is being written to.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just wanted to correct people who said that it ONLY has 3,5 ;)

Why reply if they are so useless??? Your entitled to your opinion in the same way I am mate just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make their opinion any more or less useless than yours

Anyway, I was just sayin' there's a like button, why can't there be a dislike button, there is on YouTube...

You came here JUST to tell a person their comment was dumb, you didnt even provide a counter argument, you just acted like a 12 year old and said "wheres the dislike button". THATS why your comment was useless.