R9 390 vs Gtx 970- I need help!

DunGoofed

Yeah or maybe since I made the video, ask the person who has tested a bunch of 970's and a bunch of 390's.. lol

Do you just spend a bunch of money on cards that you use as ornaments on you shelves?

:) Great vids btw.. really help seeing some nice benchmarks!

look buddy i'm ain't no fanboys or ACboys xD

but if youre going for a 1080p go for 970 or if you are wanna go for the 390 go for it what stoping you ? 

the two of them is great but the r9 200 cards had proplems with drivers and the issue is in 300 series too.

the 300 series are stoping becuse of the drivers and we know it. no fanboys :D

Eh I'm not convinced drivers always make a difference (sure some) but from some videos (around June and into early July) they were using the current (at the time) beta drivers and they seemed to be fine and that using the beta drivers would usually yield more favorable results... 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Yeah or maybe since I made the video, ask the person who has tested a bunch of 970's and a bunch of 390's.. lol

I don't care if you're Jayztwocents or Linus. A person that wants reliable, non biased, and more accurate research looks at multiple sources. Period. Lol you should of all people should know this.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

facts:

- Both cards perform slightly below GTX 980.

R9 390:
- Has 8GB VRAM (which is overkill to its performance ratio)

- max. recommended resolution 1440p.

- slighty better performance

- min recommended psu: 650w, min recommended psu 2xCF: 1000w.

- ~45% more power consumption while gaming. (based on 70% GPU load)

- more heat

GTX970:

- Has 4GB VRAM (3.5+0,5GB)

- max recommended resolution 1440p

- slightly worse performance 

- min recommended psu: 500w, min recommended psu 2xSLI: 700w

- ~45% less power consumption while gaming. (based on 70%  GPU load)

- less heat

Here is to decide,

the highest fps possible for the budget on all costs vs a little less but super efficient but still solid performance.

Both cards are great, cant go wrong with either.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Do you just spend a bunch of money on cards that you use as ornaments on you shelves?

:) Great vids btw.. really help seeing some nice benchmarks!

I don't own any of them, I get them loaned to me while I do a review, yeah you should check multiple sources but take it from me, the 390 is the slightly better card and the one I would go for, im not biased at all, I only care about whats good, i recommended the 970 over the 290 way back when it came out.

Making a new build. But I can't decide what Gpu to get.

This one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-041-IN

Or this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-374-AS

Thanks for the help in advance

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a high end ASUS AMD card. Their coolers are FAR TOO WEAK. They are not good enough to handle the heat of the 290, 290X, 390, 390X or Fury.

JUST NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER DO IT!!!

I don't own any of them, I get them loaned to me while I do a review, yeah you should check multiple sources but take it from me, the 390 is the slightly better card and the one I would go for, im not biased at all, I only care about whats good, i recommended the 970 over the 290 way back when it came out.

The 390 has a higher TDP than the 970. In practice, how much hotter would my case be with a 390 versus a 970, like 5-10 Celsius degrees? And if I overclock both of them will the difference increase?

I am leaning towards the 970 not because of the electricity price but my case hasn't the best airflow/my CPU runs a bit too hot and I don't want to stress my cases temperature's much.

Good channel you have btw.

The 390 has a higher TDP than the 970. In practice, how much hotter would my case be with a 390 versus a 970, like 5-10 Celsius degrees? And if I overclock both of them will the difference increase?

I am leaning towards the 970 not because of the electricity price but my case hasn't the best airflow/my CPU runs a bit too hot and I don't want to stress my cases temperature's much.

Good channel you have btw.

Temps wise the 390 will probably be on average around 5c hotter than the 970, overclocking wise its hard to say because it depends on the card, but both generally can overclock quite well.

Electricity wise, I wouldn't really worry unless its super super expensive where you live, otherwise the difference will be so minimal you might not even notice.

Case temp wise I doubt you would notice much either, these are all minor things really, i'd probably just go with the 390 and be done with it.

Not really any reason to get a 970 over a 390

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Not really any reason to get a 970 over a 390

I am worried that the 390 will make my case too hot because of it's higher TDP.

I am worried that the 390 will make my case too hot because of it's higher TDP.

TDP != power consumption. If you have a case with poor airflow, both these cards are gonna spew loads of heat into your case... What case do you have?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

TDP != power consumption. If you have a case with poor airflow, both these cards are gonna spew loads of heat into your case... What case do you have?

Why do you insist on equating case with overall airflow? Almost no one spends the money on decent fans to maximize their cases airflow anyways so it's basically a mute point unless you ask about the whole package...

@ o.p. 390 is honestly a better card the majority of the time. (1080p being really the only time the 970 consistently ties or wins against it and that will change as more and more games use higher vram.) But that said if situation with poor overall airflow or a case best suited to blower style fans (like most itx cases are) then the 970 is a smarter choice.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Why do you insist on equating case with overall airflow? Almost no one spends the money on decent fans to maximize their cases airflow anyways so it's basically a mute point unless you ask about the whole package...

@ o.p. 390 is honestly a better card the majority of the time. (1080p being really the only time the 970 consistently ties or wins against it and that will change as more and more games use higher vram.) But that said if situation with poor overall airflow or a case best suited to blower style fans (like most itx cases are) then the 970 is a smarter choice.

What? I'm not sure what you're going on about but I'm just asking what case @tom11 has since he/she said this "I am worried that the 390 will make my case too hot because of it's higher TDP."...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What? I'm not sure what you're going on about but I'm just asking what case @tom11 has since he/she said this "I am worried that the 390 will make my case too hot because of it's higher TDP."...

Just like tdp != heat (although it actually is massively closer by comparison. The only real inaccuracy is that tdp often does not equal power use.) Airflow |= case. If anything the closest comparison is airflow = fans but the only things a choice in case does there is limit max fans.

Example af120 quiet edition at max speed only pushes 40 cfm. Venturi hf-14 pushes 120 cfm at max speed ( and that's still a sub 27 db fan... Think of what a loud one could do.)

Aka one hf-14 gives as much airflow as 3 af120 quiet edition (and is quieter as 3x 21 db is almost exactly 30 db.) While taking up 45% of the surface area in a case.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just like tdp != heat (although it actually is massively closer by comparison. The only real inaccuracy is that tdp often does not equal power use.) Airflow |= case. If anything the closest comparison is airflow = fans but the only things a choice in case does there is limit max fans.

Example af120 quiet edition at max speed only pushes 40 cfm. Venturi hf-14 pushes 120 cfm at max speed ( and that's still a sub 27 db fan... Think of what a loud one could do.)

Aka one hf-14 gives as much airflow as 3 af120 quiet edition (and is quieter as 3x 21 db is almost exactly 30 db.) While taking up 45% of the surface area in a case.

Okay... At this point we're clearly not on the same page... I understand that we know a case is not definite to its airflow but why is it that I can't ask what case is it to have a clearer picture?

A case can have so many thing affecting its airflow like fan mount, drive cages, air filters, fan position.... You can't just solve an airflow problem by buying better fans.... 

Okay... At this point we're clearly not on the same page... I understand that we know a case is not definite to its airflow but why is it that I can't ask what case is it to have a clearer picture?

A case can have so many thing affecting its airflow like fan mount, drive cages, air filters, fan position.... You can't just solve an airflow problem by buying better fans....

In more cases (ha pun) than you might imagine you actually can. (I mean otherwise aio's would basically all be identical, it's literally a fan arms race...)

But yes, I conceed the case is an important place to start.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

In more cases (ha pun) than you might imagine you actually can. (I mean otherwise aio's would basically all be identical, it's literally a fan arms race...)

But yes, I conceed the case is an important place to start.

Welp, you'll still have to take pump and rad size into consideration. 

Yea... You never know. Some guy might buy 10 noctuas, set them all as exhuast and still ask why his/her component is running hot.  :lol:

Welp, you'll still have to take pump and rad size into consideration.

Yea... You never know. Some guy might buy 10 noctuas, set them all as exhuast and still ask why his/her component is running hot. :lol:

Sure, I just always found it funny that the good fans can offer 2-3x the same performance per slot in a case over the common cheap ones and then people complain that they need 15 fans or their 5 fan build runs so hot.

Not to mention cheap=loud

Hahaha at that example. Speaking of which, of my non rad fans I got two venturi and two gp-14s that came with the case. I'm thinking that maybe I dont need that much exhaust power and I could swap one of my venturis from back exhaust to front intake. But then again my case temps are a joke and I don't like non pure black fans (which was part of the reason I went with the venturis in the first place) so I don't like the idea of moving a white fan into a position I can see it.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Sure, I just always found it funny that the good fans can offer 2-3x the same performance per slot in a case over the common cheap ones and then people complain that they need 15 fans or their 5 fan build runs so hot.

Not to mention cheap=loud

Hahaha at that example. Speaking of which, of my non rad fans I got two venturi and two gp-14s that came with the case. I'm thinking that maybe I dont need that much exhaust power and I could swap one of my venturis from back exhaust to front intake. But then again my case temps are a joke and I don't like non pure black fans (which was part of the reason I went with the venturis in the first place) so I don't like the idea of moving a white fan into a position I can see it.

That's why I like to ask for the case as well, some cases ship with pretty shitty fans. The cheap cm sickle flow fan I bought were better at being fans than the stock Nzxt Phantom 410 ones.

That's why I like to ask for the case as well, some cases ship with pretty shitty fans. The cheap cm sickle flow fan I bought were better at being fans than the stock Nzxt Phantom 410 ones.

Another reason to buy a fractal case hahaha. The gp-14s are nothing special but they sure as hell aren't the dogshit that comes with most other cases haha.

*stares at corsair, antec, thermalfake*

Gp-14

Air Flow

Noise Level

Af140 quiet

Air Flow

67.8 CFM

Noise Level

24 dBA

Nzxt fn-140

Air Flow

62.5 CFM

Noise Level

26.52 dBA

And those last two arent even considered bad fans lol.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Another reason to buy a fractal case hahaha. The gp-14s are nothing special but they sure as hell aren't the dogshit that comes with most other cases haha.

*stares at corsair, antec, thermalfake*

Gp-14

Air Flow

Noise Level

Af140 quiet

Air Flow

67.8 CFM

Noise Level

24 dBA

Nzxt fn-140

Air Flow

62.5 CFM

Noise Level

26.52 dBA

And those last two arent even considered bad fans lol.

Well... didn't know the sickle flow was quite abit better 

SickleFlow 120

Air Flow

69.69 CFM

Noise Level

19 dBA

Well... didn't know the sickle flow was quite abit better

SickleFlow 120

Air Flow

69.69 CFM

Noise Level

19 dBA

At least at beginning of life. New egg and others have horror stories of horizontal mounting of those fans getting really loud over time and dying quickly.

Dem cheap sleve bearings.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Buy a Sapphire R9 390, you won't be disappointed.

I had the same problem deciding between 970 and 390 and for me 390 was cheaper.. (I belive better specs and fps/buck) 

CPU:i5 4460 3.2GHz GPU:Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB MOBO:AsRock H87 Pro4 RAM:Corsair Vengance 1866 8GB CASE:Corsair Carbide 100R PSU:Chieftec 650W AS-650CB HD: WD 1TB MONITOR: Samsung 24' 1080p TV and MONITOR 

Making a new build. But I can't decide what Gpu to get.

This one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-041-IN

Or this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-374-AS

Thanks for the help in advance

I just went through this decision myself. Personally, I decided to go for the 390, because of reasons stated by others in this thread - it is more future-proof, will get more from DX12, and the 8gb of VRAM of the 390, which is especially relevant if you want to go Crossfire/SLI - VRAM doesn't stack, so 390's will Crossfire better than 970's will SLI.

Not sure I'd go with the ASUS one though - Sapphire for best stock cooler, MSI for best overclocks, XFX or PowerColor if you hope to watercool.

Did you see me say anywhere that TDP = power consumption? The 390 has a higher TDP than the 970 and this means that it outputs more heat to the case. Am I wrong here?

And my case is just an ASUS case and my CPU is a 4790k which runs a bit hot and right now I can't mess with my case, change fans etc. I just want to know if the 390 will make my case significantly hotter than a 970.