R9 390 vs Gtx 970- I need help!

DunGoofed

from what ive seen on these forums people act like amd cards are gonna melt the aluminum in your case and consume enough power to cause a black out honestly more vram = higher resolutions and more features and whatnot just get the cheaper card cause they are pretty much identical

look buddy i'm ain't no fanboys or ACboys xD

but if youre going for a 1080p go for 970 or if you are wanna go for the 390 go for it what stoping you ? 

the two of them is great but the r9 200 cards had proplems with drivers and the issue is in 300 series too.

the 300 series are stoping becuse of the drivers and we know it. no fanboys :D

What problems? Never experienced any problems with card, even using beta drivers.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Did you see me say anywhere that TDP = power consumption? The 390 has a higher TDP than the 970 and this means that it outputs more heat to the case. Am I wrong here?

And my case is just an ASUS case and my CPU is a 4790k which runs a bit hot and right now I can't mess with my case, change fans etc. I just want to know if the 390 will make my case significantly hotter than a 970.

Because you were more concerned with the TDP of the cards... How much heat a card releases in the case will depend on the design of the card and case airflow. A blowerstyle(non existent) 390 will still release lesser heat into your system than a G1 970 even with a much higher power consumption...  

"just an ASUS case" Doesn't say much here...  Crappy OEM cases can have god airflow as long as the cooling is set up right. My r7 265 sitting in a OEM acer case runs at a max of 61*C underload all because of a fan that I butchered from an Intel heatsink. Without it, the card will reach 70*C under load. 

Bad airflow will cause either the 390 or the 970 to run at high temps. And the heat from the cards will be trapped in the case because of poor airflow.   

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What problems? Never experienced any problems with card, even using beta drivers.

there are some beta proplems on tthe web and the 295x2 is having serious drivers proplems from it's launch as you know *watch reviews*

there are some beta proplems on tthe web and the 295x2 is having serious drivers proplems from it's launch as you know *watch reviews*

Ain't that the 14 series drivers? Its already 15.7.1 now...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I must be one lucky guy to never experience these kinds of problems. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Ain't that the 14 series drivers? Its already 15.7.1 now...

nvm i'm not amd btw i have 980 all i heard is all i said :)

I must be one lucky guy to never experience these kinds of problems. 

maybe? :D

nvm i'm not amd btw i have 980 all i heard is all i said :)

Keep up with the times me bruh

Keep up with the times me bruh

never had an amd card so don't judge. xD

I'd say 390. It's a newer card.  More VRAM.  In fact i just bought one myself.

I've owned quite a few 970 cards (10!) a 980 and a couple 390s. I'd take the 390 in a heartbeat over the 9xx cards. I had far fewer issues with the AMD cards, no stuttering and hitching unlike the NVidia cards, etc. NVidia has really dropped the ball on drivers since the 9xx cards came out and they aren't getting better! I replaced the 970s quite a few times due to issues that were blamed at first on the cards, then NVidia ended up blaming the drivers for, but still haven't fixed. I'll stick with my 390 and might get another soon for now thanks ;)

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

Well performance wise both are pretty similar, but the 970 comes free with Metal Gear Solid V so if you were going to pick that game up anyways, the GTX 970 is gonna be a great value since your saving yourself the $60 for the game.