So i'm about to go for a long drive...

d33g33

So, some of you are aware, some not that I am about to relocate from Melbourne to Perth.

My wife is originally from Perth, I lived there for about 5 years which is where we met and I've been offered a job there so we have decided to move back. The distance from Melbourne to Perth if you drive is about 3500kms, or just short of 2200miles for my American friends.

FFOt5bS.png

We have packed up our entire home, that is getting picked up tomorrow! and sent by rail in a 20ft shipping container. Tomorrow we will also send our 2x dogs over by plane and they will be collected by my wife's parents. Then Saturday the day after my wife and child are flying out to Perth, then on Sunday I start to drive...

Why drive?

Well a couple of reasons. 1. It's much cheaper. 2. We can take stuff in the car we need immediately and things we don't want handled by movers (eg the NCASE M1 and my NAS :P

Now, I've done the drive a few times before, so I know what to expect, previously I've been good at knocking out a large amount of kms. The first day I should be doing between 1500-1900kms then hopefully, finish the trip on the 2nd day.

The first time I did from Melb to Perth it took 3 days in a commodore, the trip back from Perth to Melb I did in a 3.0TD Surf with 2x drivers and we did that in 38hours. Then I drove back from Melb to Perth again in the 3.0TD Surf in 48 hours, then I drove from Perth to Melb in a convoy (me in my car, a Patrol and my wife in her car, a Forester) and it took 5 days...

A bit of fun...

So I got a GoPro from my old work as a parting gift and then I thought it would be cool to vlog the whole way, so I borrowed a 2nd GoPro so I'll have 1 camera rotating around the car and a 2nd for a 'cockpit cam'. I'll upload the video once I've edited it. There was some logistics I needed to overcome though...

The GoPro only has a couple of hours battery life, the SD card can record for about 5 hours and I didn't want to be stopping every couple of hours so...

I bought a 2nd suction mount and glued some industrial velcro to it, then the same to some small (2600mAh) battery packs! what can go wrong right! The 2nd suction cap mount will be there to hold the battery pack but also as a backup mount in case the main camera mount fails.

m0ibN1D.jpg

Also worth mentioning...

Sunday when I leave will be my Birthday! My 30th actually, I'm a little bummed that I wont have any family or friends around but that's just the way it planned out so i'll try make the most of it and maybe open some presents as I drive across!

It will also be the longest I've been away from my family which i'm sad about but its only a couple of days but still, first time and I enjoy being part of my daughters life every day.

So that's my little offtopic share, I don't know if anything would be interested in seeing teh video I do of the drive or not. 

has anyone done anything similar?

I haven't done anything similar, but I can't wait to see it. That's pretty interesting, and I wish you luck at your new job :D

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Sounds fun, following to see the video

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

I hope your car has a cruise control and also have fun.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I though he got caught hacking or something and was going to jail.....then i realized he is...well sort of....getting ready to start married life eh? 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Good Luck, Drive Safe, Lots of crazy on the Road out here in 'Straya

Take some backup fuel in like x2 20L Jerry cans incase you runout of fuel in the middle of nowhere,

never know what can happen

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

The longest drive I've done was about 920mi or 1478km. The video would be interesting. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Have fun, and also be sure to check things such as oil, windshield fluid, and brake fluid levels, in addition to tires and lights before you go.

Oh its been everywhere to make sure it's tip top. I'm also the son of a diesel mechanic and quite into cars so quite aware if something may be off ;)

i went from alabama to maine. in a car.. for vacation......

i got sick at NYC and yea...

Nice, that's 1500miles. How long did it take you?

Best of luck! You know you could buy a 980 Ti or something with all that gas money!

Not quite, 980Ti is $1000AUD. Witha  roof pod we used $700AUD so this time it should be around $600AUD depending how quick I push the car along.

HYPE. I love long road trips. 

and you can move your stuff by train? thats bad ass. we dont do that here

Yea, big freight trains are pretty common to move stuff from the eastern states to the west

I haven't done anything similar, but I can't wait to see it. That's pretty interesting, and I wish you luck at your new job :D

Thanks, im looking forward to the change!

WOW

I remember reading about the move in one of your build logs

yeah its been a while in the works :)

Sounds fun, following to see the video

Me to!

The longest drive I've done was about 920mi or 1478km. The video would be interesting. 

part 1 of 3, 48Hours long xD

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

I hope your car has a cruise control and also have fun.

First time i'm doing the drive with cruise control! So happy! When you lock in for literally 1000's of kms at a time! Also built in arm rests!

I though he got caught hacking or something and was going to jail.....then i realized he is...well sort of....getting ready to start married life eh? 

Haha I suck at code, been married a while now, now living the parenthood life, love it.

Good Luck, Drive Safe, Lots of crazy on the Road out here in 'Straya

Take some backup fuel in like x2 20L Jerry cans incase you runout of fuel in the middle of nowhere,

never know what can happen

Already ahead of you. The longest span between fuel stations is only 160kms so if you run out of fuel, you're trying to run out of fuel but I will have a 20litre jerry with me.

Childs play ;)

part 1 of 3, 48Hours long xD

Lol fair to say the footage will be considerably sped up. I will go on Australia's longest straight through, from memory its 120ish kms. And it has sections where the road turns into emergency runways for planes. Its actually signed "watch out for in comming aircraft"

4 days -.-

Oh... haha. Yeah I think of it as a job and just get it done, not so much of a holiday.

Damn, longest drive I've done was about 200mi, took me roughly 3 hours I think. (No cruise control..)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

cus we stopped by and said hi to reletavies or friends who were in the states that we havent seen for years

Yea thats all fair enough

Damn, longest drive I've done was about 200mi, took me roughly 3 hours I think. (No cruise control..)

Western Australia is massive. We left Perth and went North about 1600kms to Exmouth and went swimming with Whale Sharks, still in WA, then we continued to Broome, thats another 1000kms, still in WA... only about halfway up the coast. Its 1/3rd of Autsralia...

i went from alabama to maine. in a car.. for vacation......

i got sick at NYC and yea...

was it the smog? its always the smog and pollution for people who go to NYC. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

was it the smog? its always the smog and pollution for people who go to NYC. 

idk the weather was really weird. it  got up to like 80 farenheit then the next day it started snowing (it was da flu btw)

be sure to check things such as oil, windshield fluid, and brake fluid levels, in addition to tires and lights before you go.

Seriously?

Have fun, and also be sure to check things such as oil, windshield fluid, and brake fluid levels, in addition to tires and lights before you go.

idk the weather was really weird. it  got up to like 80 farenheit then the next day it started snowing (it was da flu btw)

weather has been weird everywhere, but once it hits like 85 and above in the city, the entire place smells like garbage. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since.