Console Optimizations Will Improve AMD CPU Performance In Planetside 2.

I still wish i would of bought an 8350 over my 3570k :( but i was dumb(er?)) when i bought it, i didn't think of the future:P

I don't regret buying the 3570k at all.

According to Linus, the way AMD cores are built, every 1.5 of AMD cores = 1 of Intel's cores. So an 8 core AMD CPU is the equivalent, core-horsepower-wise, of an Intel 6 core CPU (if we completely ignore GHz). 

That, plus the fact that this still won't help older games or current games (besides online ones that are updated, like Planetside 2) means that the 3570k is better for them regardless. 

Don't get me wrong, the 8350 will be a great gaming CPU due to these improvements, but the 3570k will become even better than it is now as well. Meaning, imo, it will still be better than the 8350 for gaming. Probably not for everything else (like streaming, video recording, etc etc while gaming), but regardless, it is a good CPU.

Don't worry about it. The performance difference will be really, really, really, really, really minimal. It might just bring the 8350 a little closer to the 3570k.

This^

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

lol my friend was playing on a 4 core A6 "llano" laptop yesterday, got to squeeze out about 15FPS he had ram to spare so that wasn't the problem... overclocking the CPU yielded a few more frames, got up to like 18 FPS, but still not good enough... Hopefully this will fix his troubles. Those graphics in those APU's are awesome, but if you have no real CPU performance the bottleneck becomes HUGE.

yup, im running the same cpu^^ mine is stock at 1.6 GHz which sucks, i overclocked it to 2.3 with amd overdrive but in the middle of summer my fan cannot hold the temps..... but for me going from 1033 MHz ram to 1600MHz ram really made a difference (from 6 to 8 gigs). Also i migyt be able to overclock my ram but i dont know yet how to.

Don't worry about it. The performance difference will be really, really, really, really, really minimal. It might just bring the 8350 a little closer to the 3570k.

I don't regret buying the 3570k at all.

According to Linus, the way AMD cores are built, every 1.5 of AMD cores = 1 of Intel's cores. So an 8 core AMD CPU is the equivalent, core-horsepower-wise, of an Intel 6 core CPU (if we completely ignore GHz). 

That, plus the fact that this still won't help older games or current games (besides online ones that are updated, like Planetside 2) means that the 3570k is better for them regardless. 

Don't get me wrong, the 8350 will be a great gaming CPU due to these improvements, but the 3570k will become even better than it is now as well. Meaning, imo, it will still be better than the 8350 for gaming. Probably not for everything else (like streaming, video recording, etc etc while gaming), but regardless, it is a good CPU.

This^

Considering the fact that both CPUs are going to get a boost but AMD more I'm expecting the 8350 to overtake the 3570k (and therefore also the 3770k) in gaming. The 3930k is looking like a REALLY good gaming cpu if these optimisations do hit well and if the 3910k is a thing then I might just have to jump on that bandwaggon because it will be an amazing cpu for the price.

This is less of an AMD vs Intel battle as you all seem to be making it; it's more of a moar cores issue and to be honest :p more cores is looking pretty damn good.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

yup, im running the same cpu^^ mine is stock at 1.6 GHz which sucks, i overclocked it to 2.3 with amd overdrive but in the middle of summer my fan cannot hold the temps..... but for me going from 1033 MHz ram to 1600MHz ram really made a difference (from 6 to 8 gigs). Also i migyt be able to overclock my ram but i dont know yet how to.

His was clocked at 2.4 GHz, we up'ed it to 2.8 and we taped a USB powered fan i made to the bottom of the laptop, near where the laptop's fan sucks in air. This let us push more air through, and our temps were around 78 celcius max lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Considering the fact that both CPUs are going to get a boost but AMD more I'm expecting the 8350 to overtake the 3570k (and therefore also the 3770k) in gaming. The 3930k is looking like a REALLY good gaming cpu if these optimisations do hit well and if the 3910k is a thing then I might just have to jump on that bandwaggon because it will be an amazing cpu for the price.

This is less of an AMD vs Intel battle as you all seem to be making it; it's more of a moar cores issue and to be honest :P more cores is looking pretty damn good.

id laugh if the successor to haswell had 8 cores and the successor to ivy bridge-E would have 16 cores by default:P then AMD would step in and unleash the 32 core :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This is less of an AMD vs Intel battle as you all seem to be making it; it's more of a moar cores issue and to be honest :P more cores is looking pretty damn good.

The problem with the 8350 for me personally. Is that it feels ancient and half-assed. If they were to release a new socket aswell as a new series of 8-core FX processors, together with new motherboards with a better feature set. I would switch to AMD faster than you can say Intel.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

AMD does feel outdated at times... Intel is constantly innovating, while AMD likes to sitback and enjoy their work for a couple years.

Spoiler

His was clocked at 2.4 GHz, we up'ed it to 2.8 and we taped a USB powered fan i made to the bottom of the laptop, near where the laptop's fan sucks in air. This let us push more air through, and our temps were around 78 celcius max lol

Lol i already have 2 usb powered fan under my laptop plus in case of intense gaming with intense heat, i add a big heater fan but with the heat turned off, if you see what i mean.... and still then i can go up to 80-85 ºC which means my pc does an annoying bipping every second... but with the time my brain learned to ignore the bipping....

Planetside 2 needs to optimize hardcore. That game runs so badly if you don't have anything bar an i5/i7

Will be nice to see some movement to multi-threaded games, I hate it when people claim the next gen consoles APU's architecture will mean huge boosts to the fx line chips though.

the thing needs optimization real bad but the engine is ancient so I dont know how easy thatll be but I cant get 60fps+ consistently 100% of the time with dual 670s.

the thing needs optimization real bad but the engine is ancient so I dont know how easy thatll be but I cant get 60fps+ consistently 100% of the time with dual 670s.

and what CPU you use?

Spoiler

Lol i already have 2 usb powered fan under my laptop plus in case of intense gaming with intense heat, i add a big heater fan but with the heat turned off, if you see what i mean.... and still then i can go up to 80-85 ºC which means my pc does an annoying bipping every second... but with the time my brain learned to ignore the bipping....

lol things we do to get more gaming horsepower...

Spoiler

id laugh if the successor to haswell had 8 cores and the successor to ivy bridge-E would have 16 cores by default:P then AMD would step in and unleash the 32 core :P

The problem with the 8350 for me personally. Is that it feels ancient and half-assed. If they were to release a new socket aswell as a new series of 8-core FX processors, together with new motherboards with a better feature set. I would switch to AMD faster than you can say Intel.

AMD does feel outdated at times... Intel is constantly innovating, while AMD likes to sitback and enjoy their work for a couple years.

Vishera isn't really old it's not as new as haswell for example but it's not old.

I think AMD has a cycle of tick tock tock tock e.g. Athlon, Athlon x2, Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller. Steamroller will be the second coming of Athlon ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Still glad my 4770k will arrive soon.. No regrets whatsoever

Big regrets; i7 is useless for gaming vs i5

Big regrets; i7 is useless for gaming vs i5

unless of cores your games utilize the hyper-threading > : )

Spoiler

unless of cores your games utilize the hyper-threading > : )

If you knew what hyper-threading was you'd know that it's useless for games :p.

As we speak I'm working on a thread to cover the topic of console optimsations, hyper-threading etc.

not bad at all.... I didnt realize GPU's wold help so much in Planetside over the CPU.... i have a 3570k @ 4.3 GHz with a 7770 currently and I dip down in the 30 FPS range (max settings) with Planetside 2 saying my CPU is the bottleneck. (if you alt + F in game it shows FPS in bottom left corner with the device that is causing the bottleneck)

Spoiler

If you knew what hyper-threading was you'd know that it's useless for games :P.

As we speak I'm working on a thread to cover the topic of console optimsations, hyper-threading etc.

awesome, can you post a link here so i can see it when your done? and yes, ill admit i have nothing to argue i dont TRULY know what hyper threading does:P

Spoiler

awesome, can you post a link here so i can see it when your done? and yes, ill admit i have nothing to argue i dont TRULY know what hyper threading does:P

I will do :p prepare for a massive wall of text though.

Just thought I'd leave this here....

Console optimisations and how they will effect you

Vishera isn't really old it's not as new as haswell for example but it's not old.

I think AMD has a cycle of tick tock tock tock e.g. Athlon, Athlon x2, Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller. Steamroller will be the second coming of Athlon ^_^

haswell-e is known to have at least 8 cores. Also I dont see it happenning soon as they would be lower speed cores to stay in the tdp which woul mean they would suck at single thread or lightly threaded tasks. Please remember that the majority of more peoples pc use has nothing to do with gaming.

not bad at all.... I didnt realize GPU's wold help so much in Planetside over the CPU.... i have a 3570k @ 4.3 GHz with a 7770 currently and I dip down in the 30 FPS range (max settings) with Planetside 2 saying my CPU is the bottleneck. (if you alt + F in game it shows FPS in bottom left corner with the device that is causing the bottleneck)

the thing thats causeing the bottleneck is the shitty engine as at my res 1920x1200 I can max most newer games @60fps+

But ill take a look to see what it says. I have been using evga precision to monitor while trying to get the game to run smoothly.

Improved performance on AMD CPUs is exactly what Matt Higby and several other developers are saying will happen, PC gamers should be happy that they're finally getting proper multi-core support.

I really don't understand why you'd "hate" to hear this, it will most definitely benefit everyone with a quadcore or higher.

Probably because any CPU with more than 4 threads will see the same boost, irrespective of who manufactured it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

off topic bu can someone give me a reason why you would want an i7 for anything other than major cpu intensive work? like weekly.daily work?