Console Optimizations Will Improve AMD CPU Performance In Planetside 2.

Do you have benchmarks?

I'm making estimations based on the fact that the 4670k and the 8350 are about equal in gaming and with the 8350 having an MP ratio of 6x and 4670k having an MP ratio of 4x that leaves a 25% difference of performance ^_^ simple math really.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Ahh i see,so theoretical yields match to physical real world yields? I'm sorry but until all this happens,i'd tell a person who's building a system right now to go with Intel. I can't wait until all this next gen hype is all over....sigh...

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

Ahh i see,so theoretical yields match to physical real world yields? I'm sorry but until all this happens,i'd tell a person who's building a system right now to go with Intel. I can't wait until all this next gen hype is all over....sigh...

you can say that again.....heres me with my recently built system and im like well i wasted my money =/ if all of this goes abllz up and the 8350 starts to crush the i5-4670k in games im just gonna sell it and buy a 4770k.....maybe the hyperthreading would be able to take advantage of the core optimisation......i would also co the chip to around 4.2ghz......im currently running at 4.2 on my i5...

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

I'm making estimations based on the fact that the 4670k and the 8350 are about equal in gaming and with the 8350 having an MP ratio of 6x and 4670k having an MP ratio of 4x that leaves a 25% difference of performance ^_^ simple math really.

Ya know, I don't think we should just throw numbers out like that. 

It doesn't matter how good the CPU's are in all honesty if they aren't the bottleneck in current generation systems. These optimizations then would be the equivalent of upgrading from a 7870 to a 7950, but having the CPU be the bottleneck (in other words, it won't make a difference). 

I mean, how many FPS does overclocking a 4670k/3570k give? I'd imagine the gains would be similar to that. It's only if games utilize it that it will matter, and I am still left to ask, "What else, besides PhysX, can a CPU do?" 

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's how I see it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ya know, I don't think we should just throw numbers out like that. 

It doesn't matter how good the CPU's are in all honesty if they aren't the bottleneck in current generation systems. These optimizations then would be the equivalent of upgrading from a 7870 to a 7950, but having the CPU be the bottleneck (in other words, it won't make a difference). 

I mean, how many FPS does overclocking a 4670k/3570k give? I'd imagine the gains would be similar to that. It's only if games utilize it that it will matter, and I am still left to ask, "What else, besides PhysX, can a CPU do?" 

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's how I see it.

Well as it stands in dual GPU, triple GPU and quad GPU configurations we're seeing a lot of CPU bottlenecks. I'm going to go ahead and quote myself here

Imagine this, you get a 3970x, you disable all the cores except one to lower the heat output and it's a golden chip so you can push it to 6-7ghz on water. You would see a HUGE performance increase but it would still get outperformed by an ordinary 3930k downclocked to 2.4ghz in a task that is truly multi-threaded because although those 6 cores are slower than that 1 core they are doing the tasks in parallel.

Now imagine this, you get an 8350 and a 6350 and 4350 and a 4350 with 3 of the cores disabled, you set the 8350 to 1 ghz, you set the 6350 to 1.33ghz you set the 4350 to 2ghz and the second 4350 to 8ghz (laughing inside at the thought of such a thing xD) and they'll all perform equally in a truly multi-threaded task.

So the performance increase of CPUs is going to be massive and and any CPU with 3-4cores at 2ghz+ will be most sufficient for even 4xTitans :/

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I'm saying everything from a developers point of view and I know what it'd like to code for multiple threads :/ it's long and usually doesn't feel like it's worth it but it is when you're faced with loads of weak cores compared to the few powerful ones you're used to being faced with. The optimisations aren't theoretical as they're guaranteed to happen, if you'd read my thread you'd know however that I said the effects aren't going to be a tidal wave they'll simply roll in slowly.

All the more reason to buy the awesome FX 8350 CPU.

what a way to raise this thread from the dead.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

what a way to raise this thread from the dead.

What a way to raise AMD from the dead.

Ahhh...when will the wars end...what people don't understand is that multi-threaded performance boosts will benefit all parties...What most people don't realize is how much of a gap currently exists between Intel and AMD cpu's. Yes the engines will be better optimized,but GPU's are now going to come with ARM processors built in which will mean they'll rely less on CPU performance. My advice; Just don't raise your hopes up until you see how the thing performs,then you can be the judge....marketing my friends,marketing...if you have an AMD cpu fine,if you have Quad core intel cpu's fine!

The wars of 'knowledge' on here are getting tiresome. 

BurpleMan

Intel 3570K - 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM - Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GB - Samsung 830 128GB - 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM - Corsair CX600 - Corsair H100i  - NZXT Phantom 410 White

While this is good (and expected) news; the scary thing remains that AMD has removed all future 8 core parts from their roadmaps, and they no longer talk about future FX enthusiast class Steamroller processors. Which makes a lot of us fear that they have thrown in the towel and wil no longer try to compete with Intel i5 and i7.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-FX-9590-Death,23809.html

While this is good (and expected) news; the scary thing remains that AMD has removed all future 8 core parts from their roadmaps, and they no longer talk about future FX enthusiast class Steamroller processors. Which makes a lot of us fear that they have thrown in the towel and wil no longer try to compete with Intel i5 and i7.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-FX-9590-Death,23809.html

I think that would be the Dumpest move they've ever made why should they stop it now when they have the Chance to win against Intel or make them a hard Time to compete.

RTX2070OC 

They have been pretty hush on the 9000 series, maybe their CPU lineup is going to be hush hush or moreso..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Planetside 2 needs to optimize hardcore. That game runs so badly if you don't have anything bar an i5/i7

Will be nice to see some movement to multi-threaded games, I hate it when people claim the next gen consoles APU's architecture will mean huge boosts to the fx line chips though.

Im pretty sure someone who works on Planetside 2 said they will be working on optimizing up to 8 cores, especially with the new consoles.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I think that would be the Dumpest move they've ever made why should they stop it now when they have the Chance to win against Intel or make them a hard Time to compete.

Ya. It's especially disappointing because i thought they were on the right track considering how fast they were able to improve bulldozer and turn it into piledriver. At the time i expected them to keep releasing at the same rate through Steamroller and excavator... But now we have a situation where it looks like the enthusiast FX range is abandoned.

Imagine what this will do to an i7 :D

Exactly.

Clock for Clock, FX CPUs will benefit more, to the point where they would likely rival i7's in regards to games, but all CPUs will still benefit. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i would love to see 6 core intel for under $300 :D

Imagine what this will do to an i7 :D

Hyperthreading is useless ^_^ what you should be thinking about is what it'll do to an i5.

Hyperthreading is useless ^_^ what you should be thinking about is what it'll do to an i5.

Statements like these are strong. You can't just say something like that and not have a source. I want to know why.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Statements like these are strong. You can't just say something like that and not have a source. I want to know why.

umm yea... cause I can prove fairly easy that its not useless.

I have not seen any benefit as of yet but I am expecting a performance increase in tomorrow's Planetside 2 update 14. To be honest SOE could have saved themselves time and money if they had just created a more optimized engine to start with. Having an engine that can only use 1 thread is terrible.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I have not seen any benefit as of yet but I am expecting a performance increase in tomorrow's Planetside 2 update 14. To be honest SOE could have saved themselves time and money if they had just created a more optimized engine to start with. Having an engine that can only use 1 thread is terrible.

I understand why they didnt especially for a F2P model. For a good example look at Hellgate London vs Hellgate Global.

I am fairly certain he means in regards to gaming, in which case, it is fairly useless. Even with recording/streaming, I would guess that at most you would see a 20% increase in performance., but more likely 1-10% increase.

umm yea... cause I can prove fairly easy that its not useless.

Read above.

† Christian Member †