USA Ripping off UK TV Shows

AlecR

I love NCIS. :D I still need to catch up though, only saw the first couple episodes of Season 10 so far.

im on part 1 of 2 episodes and have to wait till Friday to find out what happens :D, which is irratating

The worst one of these has to be Top Gear.  The UK is amazing and the US one is terribad!

Not really ripping off when the person who owns the show does it..

It is like me making something in the USA then saying I will also do this in China, the Chinese version isn't a knockoff/rip off... it is just me expanding my show...

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

But what I don't get is, it's not like the USA won't understand what we in the UK make?

With the Inbetweeners, it's not like it needs to be translated? Especially when the USA version is essentially identical, word for word, just with American actors (who are rubbish by the way - Will is actually good looking and the car is actually not terrible - WTF?).

I donno I really like US Whose Line way more than the UK version.

If you want to see a bad conversion look up the UK spin off of That 70's show

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

American comedy is funny, WHEN IT'S ORIGINAL. I just don't understand this appeal of the USA re-making UK TV programmes.

Another one: the I.T. Crowd - thank God the USA version never aired but the Pilot was leaked onto YouTube (and it's absolute rubbish).

VERY VERY VERY true, The IT crowd lost everything that makes it what it is when the USA tried to copy it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This was one of their biggest mistakes

My god it was awful, no wonder it never got past the pilot

worlds strictest parents doesnt exist in the usa but we have wife swap, which sucks a lot more >_< thankfully youtube has like all the worlds strictest parents :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Just had to watch the US version of Inbetweeners on Youtube, bus turds, WTF? Something was definitely lost in translation there :lol:

A couple of other UK shows the US ruined, Top Gear, Shameless.

For some reason The Office worked though.

Top Gear UK is one of the best shows airing, but Top Gear US is complete scum tier crap. But it has gotten slightly better, just a step up from unwatchable. 

Not your intellectual property, not your business. If you don't like what the entertainment industry is providing you, don't consume their product(s).

I don’t think it is technically ripping off just because there are multiple versions of the same show in different countries.

Also does it shock and surprise you that the AMERICAN version of a British (or other nationality) show has been adapted to the American culture. Are you also surprised by the setting of the sun in the evening and the coming of winter???

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Not your intellectual property, not your business. If you don't like what the entertainment industry is providing you, don't consume their product(s).

So because of that I can't have an opinion on them. Don't ever say you like or dislike anything than because you don't own them. Don't have an opinion on cars, computer parts, games, movies, tv shows because you don't own them than.

This is the dumbest argument ever for any thing. I'll gladly not consume this media but I can have an opinion on it.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I don't see the point in getting annoyed over it, I just don't watch them. I do agree though, most if not all UK comedies loose all of what made it was it was when it's targeting a completely different audience.

I like the US Office a lot more than the UK version. 

The US Top Gear was just horrible, couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

• 6 months later...

I might watch the American Top Gear just to see how bad it is.

(And hi all, long time no see :)).

Same with British comedy, a man dressed as a women is only funny when Monty Python do it. 

or Barry Humphries.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I might watch the American Top Gear just to see how bad it is.

(And hi all, long time no see :)).

You can watch it on streetfire.net, but it is really terrible especially if you are a fan of UK Top Gear like i am, which is a good show.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I hope you people know that the US and the UK versions of The Office were created by the same person, right? (He was even in the US version at one point)

I don't think US Top Gear is that bad (Still pretty entertaining) but the UK version is definitely a lot better. FYI, a lot of other countries have their own version of TG. (Germany, Australia, and some others)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

IMHO British humor is so boring and dry. I can't stand the BBC. 

For some reason some of my co-workers like to watch "Monty python and the holy grail", but I find it just boring. I guess it's something you grow up with. 

It's been happening for years. I remember when they tried to do an American version of Coupling and it only lasted 6 or so episodes. I watched it, good while it lasted.