(NEWEGG-US) Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD $209

khpura

When it comes to SSD these days, then the 850 EVO is better for the average costumer. $50 dollars cheaper than the 500GB PRO variant. And you can get the TB variant for 'only' $300.

-snip-

You don't really get the point don't you....

There's a difference between the Pro and the Evo and that's why there's a price difference. 

Also not everybody lives near a MC.

You don't really get the point don't you....

There's a difference between the Pro and the Evo and that's why there's a price difference. 

Also not everybody lives near a MC.

I'm aware there are differences. Doesn't make the Pro make any more sense over the Evo for the price extra. Thus why I linked the better product price wise. 

Also, I could link plenty of other places with similar pricing to that. 

I'm aware there are differences. Doesn't make the Pro make any more sense over the Evo for the price extra. Thus why I linked the better product price wise. 

The Pro uses a different NAND than the Evo which is more reliable, thus more expensive. 

The Pro uses a different NAND than the Evo which is more reliable, thus more expensive. 

Does basic use of an ssd warrant the upgraded price of the pro? I feel like if you just use it for your OS and some other files the Evo is just fine. I use the Evo (the one that needed that firmware upgrade) and it has never once given me an issue.

When it comes to SSD these days, then the 850 EVO is better for the average costumer. $50 dollars cheaper than the 500GB PRO variant. And you can get the TB variant for 'only' $300.

Does basic use of an ssd warrant the upgraded price of the pro? I feel like if you just use it for your OS and some other files the Evo is just fine. I use the Evo (the one that needed that firmware upgrade) and it has never once given me an issue.

If youre not looking to buy the PRO then why are you posting in the thread? This thread was created to show a good deal. Not to discuss what ssd someone should buy. Some people need the performance of the PRO some dont. If you dont need the PRO then this thread isnt for you. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

If youre not looking to buy the PRO then why are you posting in the thread? This thread was created to show a good deal. Not to discuss what ssd someone should buy. Some people need the performance of the PRO some dont. If you dont need the PRO then this thread isnt for you.

The whole entire point of any forum thread is to discuss and inform what people might not know about a product.

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

I would rather not have somebody come into the thread and pick up that SSD thinking they just got a good deal. When there are far better values. The Pro is extremely niche for a lot of reasons to the point that I would have trouble recommending it to anyone. Especially an average enthusiast that would be browsing this forum. I never said the SSD was bad, I just posted what I thought was a better value. Welcome to online forums.

I would rather not have somebody come into the thread and pick up that SSD thinking they just got a good deal. When there are far better values. The Pro is extremely niche for a lot of reasons to the point that I would have trouble recommending it to anyone. Especially an average enthusiast that would be browsing this forum. I never said the SSD was bad, I just posted what I thought was a better value. Welcome to online forums.

The only reason to get the PRO over the EVO is if you are going to hammer the SSD with writes. And if you really want that 10 year warranty the PRO comes with.

Performance wise, then you can basically go with any SSD these days, most of them cap out the SATA bandwidth. The EVO is just one of the better options, hence why it's so often recommended.

The whole entire point of any forum thread is to discuss and inform what people might not know about a product.

No. The point of this sub-forum is to post good deals. If people want to discuss the PRO vs Evo there is a sub-forum for that. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/38-storage-solutions/

Most people that look in this sub-forum know what theyre looking for. Pro vs Evo shouldnt be discussed in this thread. It just comes across as thread crapping. The OP posted what he/she thinks is a good deal on that SSD. If you dont think that price is good for that SSD, example: you see it priced at that price regularly or see it priced lower else where, then by all means post the better price or point out that its regularly that price. In any case, there is no point in bringing up the Evo

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

No. The point of this sub-forum is to post good deals. If people want to discuss the PRO vs Evo there is a sub-forum for that. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/38-storage-solutions/

Lol. You're a very easily defensive person. Relax a bit. All im saying is that it doesnt hurt to provide information about cheaper alternatives.

Not everyone who scrolls through a subforum knows everything.

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

No. The point of this sub-forum is to post good deals. If people want to discuss the PRO vs Evo there is a sub-forum for that. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/38-storage-solutions/

Lol. You're a very easily defensive person. Relax a bit. All im saying is that it doesnt hurt to provide information about cheaper alternatives.

Not everyone who scrolls through a subforum knows everything.

Not being defensive. Just pointing out the purpose of the Hot Deals sub-forum. And yes, cheaper alternatives are good but not in these types of threads (unless someone is asking if this is a good product for them). The OP isnt asking if this is a good deal. He is posting that this is a good deal on this ssd. Those posts I quoted are borderline thread crapping. Something that happens way too often on these Hot Deals posts.

Either way, for someone looking for an ssd with the features and performance of the 850 pro this is a good deal. If you want to make a list of good alternatives that would be good and there is a sub-forum for that http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/38-storage-solutions/ . It would be nice to have a list of good 500gb ssd's at an affordable price

Most people that look in this sub-forum know what theyre looking for. Pro vs Evo shouldnt be discussed in this thread. It just comes across as thread crapping. The OP posted what he/she thinks is a good deal on that SSD. If you dont think that price is good for that SSD, example: you see it priced at that price regularly or see it priced lower else where, then by all means post the better price or point out that its regularly that price. In any case, there is no point in bringing up the Evo

Nobody goes into "Hot Deals" looking for something specific. The thing about a deal is you don't know they're gonna happen. The most specific it's gonna get is "i'm gonna check the hot deals forum maybe there is an SSD on sale" In which posting an alternative would be helpful. Also, if someone is looking for a Pro in specific they know the differences and what me or anyone else post is not going to matter anyways.

Then you may proceed to make one in the HDD/NAS forum. Not in the hot deals section. 

The issue with Evo drives is that they might show down considerably in the future which is what happened to the 840 Evo. We don't know if that will happen to the 850 as well because it's too new. I rather get crucial drives as they are a better value.