Mechanical key switch question (Browns suck)

dizmo

So, the other day I was over at a friends house and I tried out his keyboard. He has a K95 RGB with brown switches.

After all the hype I've heard about mechanical keys I thought it'd be a glorious experience.
Well.

It wasn't. I'm not a fan, at all. To be honest, I find typing on my old G510 to be a better experience. Blasphemy, I know.

My question is this: What kind of key switch will provide a crisper feel? The Browns felt way too mushy for my liking.

I'd go try them out in store but I have yet to find a store that carries the whole assortment out on display.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

right now I prefer membrane, but before I had blacks. A little bit on the grindy side the switch feels a bit rough when pressed) but overall rather stiff. not mushy at all.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I personally like the MX Reds, though if they had a little bit more actuation force then I'd be happy with that. (Maybe blacks, though I've never tried blacks so I can't say if I'd like that more or not with the significantly higher force required to press the keys)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Blues or greens. Hands down. They're the dictionary definition of "crispy keys". Or you could find a Model M keyboard.

Blue or green. They are the Crisp I guess.. The only problem I have with them is they are the LOUDEST THING EVER. (I like my quiet keys) 

Hype for the MX Silent! 

Blues. Or maybe even Reds.

I don't like Browns either

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I prefer a letter stamp and die set my self. I remove all the keys off the board and I just put a letter stamp on and smash it with a hammer till i get what i need. =) 

But really I had the G510 is what I had before I got my G710+ and at first I thought it was ok but after a few months of using it I love it and thoughts are Reds on the 710+ that I have.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.

I know keys are a very personal experience, and everyone's will vary, but I figured the question was a little more black and white than "which is best?".

blues i guess

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8 you can get one of these to try the keys

I've thought about getting those, but at $20 it's 1/6 of the price of the keyboard.

right now I prefer membrane, but before I had blacks. A little bit on the grindy side the switch feels a bit rough when pressed) but overall rather stiff. not mushy at all.

Haha, that's such a gross thought. Grindy keys.

I almost bought a keyboard with Blacks but the seller was a dick so I decided not to give him my dollars.

Blues or greens. Hands down. They're the dictionary definition of "crispy keys". Or you could find a Model M keyboard.

Blue or green. They are the Crisp I guess.. The only problem I have with them is they are the LOUDEST THING EVER. (I like my quiet keys) 

Hype for the MX Silent! 

Yeah, I was thinking Blues. The loudness was what puts me off of them though. I know you can put little rubber rings in to try and dampen the sound, but I can only imagine that'd add the mushy feeling that annoys me so much on the Browns.

I think Green's will be next to impossible to find on a keyboard with macro keys.

Blues. Or maybe even Reds.

I don't like Browns either

Have you tried the blues or reds at all?

I prefer a letter stamp and die set my self. I remove all the keys off the board and I just put a letter stamp on and smash it with a hammer till i get what i need. =) 

But really I had the G510 is what I had before I got my G710+ and at first I thought it was ok but after a few months of using it I love it and thoughts are Reds on the 710+ that I have.

The G710 was actually one of the boards on my short list.

The 710+ uses Browns though, does it not?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.

I know keys are a very personal experience, and everyone's will vary, but I figured the question was a little more black and white than "which is best?".

I've thought about getting those, but at $20 it's 1/6 of the price of the keyboard.

I almost bought a keyboard with Blacks but the seller was a dick so I decided not to give him my dollars.

Yeah, I was thinking Blues. The loudness was what puts me off of them though. I know you can put little rubber rings in to try and dampen the sound, but I can only imagine that'd add the mushy feeling that annoys me so much on the Browns.

I think Green's will be next to impossible to find on a keyboard with macro keys.

The G710 was actually one of the boards on my short list.

The 710+ uses Browns though, does it not?

i have blues and they feel crisp to me but i like the clicky sound unlike many people

It's because of the lack of QC at Cherry. Or the lack of it compared to previous years. I hear gateron blacks are much like vintage blacks (which are very smooth).

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

hmm I've had browns before The 1st time I tried it I thought to myself "This feels like membrane" Don't hate me brown users Lol. I traded it for a ducky Zero cherry mx blue and I'm happy with it .

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

Yeah a bit, I like Blues more than Reds personally but those are the 'crisp' key switches in my opinion.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So, the other day I was over at a friends house and I tried out his keyboard. He has a K95 RGB with brown switches.

After all the hype I've heard about mechanical keys I thought it'd be a glorious experience.

Well.

It wasn't. I'm not a fan, at all. To be honest, I find typing on my old G510 to be a better experience. Blasphemy, I know.

My question is this: What kind of key switch will provide a crisper feel? The Browns felt way too mushy for my liking.

I'd go try them out in store but I have yet to find a store that carries the whole assortment out on display.

Check out the keyswitch thread in my sig. You can take the quiz there and get a result that will tell you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i have blues and they feel crisp to me but i like the clicky sound unlike many people

hmm I've had browns before The 1st time I tried it I thought to myself "This feels like membrane" Don't hate me brown users Lol. I traded it for a ducky Zero cherry mx blue and I'm happy with it .

Yeah a bit, I like Blues more than Reds personally but those are the 'crisp' key switches in my opinion.

Haha, yeah I think Blue's are going to be the choice for me. Worst case scenario I have to sell the keyboard.

Or I might see if Max Keyboard has anything I like. I think they credit you the cost of the switch tester board if you end up buying something.

Check out the keyswitch thread in my sig. You can take the quiz there and get a result that will tell you.

Interesting project!

I got Blues out of that, which was the key switch I was thinking of getting.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Interesting that you find Browns to be 'mushy', especially coming from the G510. So as said above, the logical option for a more 'crispy' feel would be the Blues. Reds/Blacks probably won't give you that feel since they are linear and don't have a click.

Mechanical keyboards are talked up as expected, but at the end of the day they're just key switches. I still think Browns are an awesome middle ground switch and good allrounder. But yeh, mechanical key switches aren't always the answer, and it's perfectly fine to be someone who prefers the feel of a membrane switch :)

Interesting that you find Browns to be 'mushy', especially coming from the G510. So as said above, the logical option for a more 'crispy' feel would be the Blues. Reds/Blacks probably won't give you that feel since they are linear and don't have a click.

Mechanical keyboards are talked up as expected, but at the end of the day they're just key switches. I still think Browns are an awesome middle ground switch and good allrounder. But yeh, mechanical key switches aren't always the answer, and it's perfectly fine to be someone who prefers the feel of a membrane switch :)

Yeah. I just don't want to spend another $130 on a membrane keyboard if a different switch type does in fact turn out to be superior.

I wonder if there are in fact decent membrane keyboards out there..

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

For me it's definitely the blues. Closest feeling to the old buckling springs keyabord.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

blues. IK exactly what you feel. brows can feel mushy

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

blues. IK exactly what you feel. brows can feel mushy

Ah good, glad I'm not the only one that felt that way!

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Ah good, glad I'm not the only one that felt that way!

yeah, when I first tried the g710+ I didn't like it at all. felt membrany.

blues are nice and crisp.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

yeah, when I first tried the g710+ I didn't like it at all. felt membrany.

blues are nice and crisp.

One thing to note is that the G710+ have rubber o-rings installed on the keycaps, therefore making them mushier than what they really are. But you are right, Brown's are mushy in comparison to Blues as you say :)