What should I get for next upgrade

Hikaru12

Starting to get my headphone collection started. I want to get another pair of headphones before I finally move up to the big leagues (1k+). I listen to Hip-Hop, Rap, Electronic, Jazz, and Pop (also, have a huge Classical collection collecting dust but that's for another time).

I currently own the Senn. 598's and Vmoda M100's (just got these!) and they both work well for their purposes. The Senns are warm and the VModas have some good bass. Looking to get something either warm (which is great for jazz) or neutral all rounders.

I'm thinking about getting either the AKG 712 or Hi-Fiman HE-500s. $600 budget. 

On an unrelated note, just trying to get some ideas for my 1k as well what do you guys think of Audeze LC-3 vs. Beyerdynamic Tesla T1's? These are some of the best all rounders I've found around the 1k price range.

Starting to get my headphone collection started. I want to get another pair of headphones before I finally move up to the big leagues (1k+). I listen to Hip-Hop, Rap, Electronic, Jazz, and Pop (also, have a huge Classical collection collecting dust but that's for another time).

I currently own the Senn. 598's and Vmoda M100's (just got these!) and they both work well for their purposes. The Senns are warm and the VModas have some good bass. Looking to get something either warm (which is great for jazz) or neutral all rounders.

On an unrelated note, just trying to get some ideas for my 1k as well what do you guys think of Audeze LC-3 vs. Beyerdynamic Tesla T1's? These are some of the best all rounders I've found around the 1k price range.

or spend $1600 and get some HD800s :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

or spend $1600 and get some HD800s :D

Lol. :P Eh, from my reviews I've read online they're not worth the price. They're excellent but not $1,500 excellent. I do actually plan on going back to beatmaking so they might be useful for that (and my classical music) but for now just trying to find something cheaper.

Personally, there's something about having headphones that specialize in specific music genres all, each one having their own unique characteristics that appeal to me. Not against dropping $1,600 though if I can get a pair of cans that will blow everything else out of the water though.

Lol. :P Eh, from my reviews I've read online they're not worth the price. They're excellent but not $1,500 excellent. I do actually plan on going back to beatmaking so they might be useful for that (and my classical music) but for now just trying to find something cheaper.

Personally, there's something about having headphones that specialize in specific music genres all, each one having their own unique characteristics that appeal to me. Not against dropping $1,600 though if I can get a pair of cans that will blow everything else out of the water though.

Its impossible for a set to do everything, but I think they come pretty close to being acceptable if you only had to buy one pair

For something cheaper apparently the Beyerdynamics T1s are really good

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its impossible for a set to do everything, but I think they come pretty close to being acceptable if you only had to buy one pair

For something cheaper apparently the Beyerdynamics T1s are really good

See, I'm nervous about pulling the trigger on the 800's because they're unforgiving and can be tough to listen to after a while. They fatigue you quite easily from what I hear. The T1s sound like they're slightly less neutral and more warm (as opposed to the brightness of the 800's). 

I've seen good all rounders around the $600 price range but hence why I'm starting a collection so I have a pair for whatever type of music I'm in the mood for. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

See, I'm nervous about pulling the trigger on the 800's because they're unforgiving and can be tough to listen to after a while. They fatigue you quite easily from what I hear. The T1s sound like they're slightly less neutral and more warm (as opposed to the brightness of the 800's). 

I've seen good all rounders around the $600 price range but hence why I'm starting a collection so I have a pair for whatever type of music I'm in the mood for. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I was not aware they were fatiguing, thats a shame, definitely not something you expect for that money

Yeah Ive tried the T1s so thats why I recommended those

the Hifiman He500s are apparently amazing and for the money too,  hmm Grado PS1000s? Fidelo x2? HD600s?

What kind of headphones do you think you are missing? something more for hip hop? or sometihng for rock? or classical etc?

obviously you want headphones to cover different genres, what do you think is missing?

I was not aware they were fatiguing, thats a shame, definitely not something you expect for that money

Yeah Ive tried the T1s so thats why I recommended those

the Hifiman He500s are apparently amazing and for the money too,  hmm Grado PS1000s? Fidelo x2? HD600s?

What kind of headphones do you think you are missing? something more for hip hop? or sometihng for rock? or classical etc?

obviously you want headphones to cover different genres, what do you think is missing?

Yeah, I can't imagine how people can mix on them for a long time. 

Yeah I was thinking about the 500s, comfort might be an issue because they're pretty heavy but nothing worse than my VModas.

I feel like the VModas cover my hip-hop, electronic, and the 598s cover jazz and pop. I'd like to find something that covers classical and instrumentals. A large portion of what I listen to is chill, laid back beats so something that sounds warm or laid back would probably be ideal for that.

HE-500 for me is a better headphone compared to K712. However, both of them can be considered as pretty bright sounding headphone. If you like a darker sounding headphone, Oppo PM-2 sounds fantastic. 

HE-400 is actually a very popular headphone for its fun sounding V-shaped sound signature

Yeah, I can't imagine how people can mix on them for a long time. 

Yeah I was thinking about the 500s, comfort might be an issue because they're pretty heavy but nothing worse than my VModas.

I feel like the VModas cover my hip-hop, electronic, and the 598s cover jazz and pop. I'd like to find something that covers classical and instrumentals. A large portion of what I listen to is chill, laid back beats so something that sounds warm or laid back would probably be ideal for that.

Well the 500s are meant to be well suited to classical but I have seen some people find then distant ... but could be do with amplification

I have seen people recommend the Shure 1480s but have 0 experience with them

Strangely enough tons of people recommend DT660s and 880s for classical, that its unbeatable..

Well the 500s are meant to be well suited to classical but I have seen some people find then distant ... but could be do with amplification

I have seen people recommend the Shure 1480s but have 0 experience with them

Strangely enough tons of people recommend DT660s and 880s for classical, that its unbeatable..

The 880s make sense for classical as they're pretty good reference cans for cheap. I'm leaning towards the 500s as they seem like a natural upgrade. 

For reference, this is paired and amped with a O2 amp and dac.

HE-500 for me is a better headphone compared to K712. However, both of them can be considered as pretty bright sounding headphone. If you like a darker sounding headphone, Oppo PM-2 sounds fantastic. 

HE-400 is actually a very popular headphone for its fun sounding V-shaped sound signature

Hmm the 500s do seem like a good bet. Tight bass, and good mids is what I'm after. I know either the 400s or 500s got bass covered. How are the mids on your 500s?

The 880s make sense for classical as they're pretty good reference cans for cheap. I'm leaning towards the 500s as they seem like a natural upgrade. 

Sounds like a good idea, i support the idea of the 500s

Hmm the 500s do seem like a good bet. Tight bass, and good mids is what I'm after. I know either the 400s or 500s got bass covered. How are the mids on your 500s?

I don't own HE-500, @KaminKevCrew owns one. But I do have K7xx which sounds basically the same as K712. If my memory serves me correctly, HE-500 mid is a tad lean but it's not as lean as the drier sounding AKG

Sounds like a good idea, i support the idea of the 500s

I'll keep the Teslas in mind for next time ;) How are you liking them so far?

I don't own HE-500, @KaminKevCrew owns one. But I do have K7xx which sounds basically the same as K712. If my memory serves me correctly, HE-500 mid is a tad lean but it's not as lean as the drier sounding AKG

From what I've heard, the AKGs sound more like the HE-800s, so they're very neutral. Makes sense that they would be pretty thin. The HE-500 also is considered pretty neutral. Would be a different set of cans than anything I've had. I think I'm going to settle on them. If I decide to go for another pair of warm cans, I think I'll go for the Senn. 650's.

I'll keep the Teslas in mind for next time ;) How are you liking them so far?

I unfortunately do not own them, just worn my friends pair a few times, and they are very very good

My headphone collection is not so great in comparison, Senn Momentums and my MMX300s, some RHA 750i in ears - nothing too special :/

Beyerdynamic is poised to release an improved Gen 2 T1. Might not be a bad idea to check that out as it is supposed to fix most of the problems with the original model.

Beyerdynamic is poised to release an improved Gen 2 T1. Might not be a bad idea to check that out as it is supposed to fix most of the problems with the original model.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

From what I've heard, the AKGs sound more like the HE-800s, so they're very neutral. Makes sense that they would be pretty thin. The HE-500 also is considered pretty neutral. Would be a different set of cans than anything I've had. I think I'm going to settle on them. If I decide to go for another pair of warm cans, I think I'll go for the Senn. 650's.

You mean HD800? Yeah I've tried HD800 and my K7xx sounds like a slightly warmer, less detailed HD800. There's also HE-400i, a current generation hifiman product. From the frequency response, it seems like it has similiar sound to HE-500, just slightly darker in the treble

Eh the t1 isn't even in the same league as lcd3, and there was a sale a few weeks ago for t1 for only $680 while the lcd3 is closer to the $2k bracket.

For all rounders I would throw in th600/900 for considerations especially with the genres you listened to. Only time I felt my th900 was lacking was while listening to classical music.

Eh the t1 isn't even in the same league as lcd3, and there was a sale a few weeks ago for t1 for only $680 while the lcd3 is closer to the $2k bracket.

For all rounders I would throw in th600/900 for considerations especially with the genres you listened to. Only time I felt my th900 was lacking was while listening to classical music.

New version of the T1 coming out, as I mentioned for those with eyes and literacy. Also, price =/= to performance. Someone could easily prefer the sound of the T1 over the LCD3.

SKIP THE AKG K712 AND GO FOR THE HE-500!!!

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

But how do you really feel.

Extremely biased towards the HE-500's.

Honestly, I don't really see anything that good with the K712. I feel that the K612 is a more well rounded headphone compared to that. Plus, from experience, its not really as neutral as the Fidelio X2. The HE-500's, while not really that neutral (based on memory, the HD600's sound more tonally accurate than that), is like the headphone version of cocaine.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Extremely biased towards the HE-500's.

Honestly, I don't really see anything that good with the K712. I feel that the K612 is a more well rounded headphone compared to that. Plus, from experience, its not really as neutral as the Fidelio X2. The HE-500's, while not really that neutral (based on memory, the HD600's sound more tonally accurate than that), is like the headphone version of cocaine.

I agree, the K612 is a killer value. Innerfidelity posted measurements recently and other than high distortion it has a pretty amazing technical presentation.

I agree, the K612 is a killer value. Innerfidelity posted measurements recently and other than high distortion it has a pretty amazing technical presentation.

But that headphone cocaine...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

You mean HD800? Yeah I've tried HD800 and my K7xx sounds like a slightly warmer, less detailed HD800. There's also HE-400i, a current generation hifiman product. From the frequency response, it seems like it has similiar sound to HE-500, just slightly darker in the treble

Yeah, sorry, typo. Might use the AKG as a cheaper choice for beat making in the future then. I'm also curious about the H560 which seems to be a different animal all together but I think I'd prefer the sound of the 500s.