You Want Fiber? Okay Give Us 382,500$ Says ISP To A Farmer In Nebraska

Rekx

Well my dad lives out in a remote area and even there they don't take those prices.

How remote is remote? :P My mother lives in a town of 3500 and they have fiber..But the geography is completely different in the united states. Im not saying that this price isn't expensive but remote means something very different in such a big country.

Unless your dad lives on a really remote farm, this is just not the same.

I just reread the article again.....4,5 miles does not seem that far....If there is not many customers in that area, I can understand why they would demand that he pays all the establisment fees.

Although there might be political reasons why the ISPs should pay as @Trik'Stari has been writing about.

This was just about the whole "This is the price for fiber in denmark" thing....We are pleased in terms of fiber here, but its still a bit of a bad comparison

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

How remote is remote? :P My mother lives in a town of 3500 and they have fiber..But the geography is completely different in the united states. Im not saying that this price isn't expensive but remote means something very different in such a big country.

Unless your dad lives on a really remote farm, this is just not the same.

I just reread the article again.....4,5 miles does not seem that far....If there is not many customers in that area, I can understand why they would demand that he pays all the establisment fees.

Although there might be political reasons why the ISPs should pay as @Trik'Stari has been writing about.

This was just about the whole "This is the price for fiber in denmark" thing....We are pleased in terms of fiber here, but its still a bit of a bad comparison

Yup it's how far away you are from a fiber node that matters. And i totally agree that usa internet sucks.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Yup it's how far away you are from a fiber node that matters. And i totally agree that usa internet sucks.

You misunderstand. 4,5 miles is a long way if there is no profit in it for you.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

You misunderstand. 4,5 miles is a long way if there is no profit in it for you.

I'm questioning the price tag, they gave him. The other company gave him a totally different price tag. Which was much lower. 

And there would be a profit in it for the company. The owner would have to pay for it all. 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I'm questioning the price tag, they gave him. The other company gave him a totally different price tag. Which was much lower. 

And there would be a profit in it for the company. The owner would have to pay for it all. 

And the other company ended up not being able to deliver on what they promised.

And the other company ended up not being able to deliver on what they promised.

He did sign up with NNTC. Not sure what your talking about.

He did sign up with NNTC. Not sure what your talking about.

Agreement: "and it will provide 50Mbps download speeds and 15Mbps uploads for $100 a month, he said."

Final Result: "After this article published, Schneider learned that the package will instead be $140 a month for 25Mbps both downstream and upstream"

I misunderstood that he ended up with NNTC......

But they didn't even provide the right speed.

This is incredibly stupid. I live in Slovakia and we didnt have internet before 1992 (after end of communism in our country). First internet connection in country was in 1993. 

Today I have unlimited fiber internet - 250 Mbit/s down and 250 Mbit/s up for 35 usd/month. I really dont understand how can be internet in US and Canada so expensive.

This is incredibly stupid. I live in Slovakia and we didnt have internet before 1992 (after end of communism in our country). First internet connection in country was in 1993. 

Today I have unlimited fiber internet - 250 Mbit/s down and 250 Mbit/s up for 35 usd/month. I really dont understand how can be internet in US and Canada so expensive.

Well, a large part of the cost is the economy, cost of living, average income levels, etc.

As of 2013, the average income in Slovakia was $853.75 USD per month. By contrast, the average income in Canada in 2013 was about $4200 CAD (The Canadian income was calculated using Median, which is a bit different - half of the population earned below $4200 CAD a month, and the other half earned above $4200 CAD a month - the actual average is probably a bit different).

The other consideration is sheer size, which dramatically increases Fibre deployment.

To put that into perspective - Total Land Area of Slovakia:

49,035 km2 - 129th largest country by physical size

Canada:

9,984,670 km2 - 2nd largest country by physical size

USA:

9,857,306 km2 - 3rd largest country by physical size (Counting coastal and overseas territories such as Puerto Rico - 4th largest just counting the mainland)

Your country is 0.49% the size of Canada, physically speaking. 41 of the 50 US states are also larger than your country.

So in an infrastructure standpoint, it's a lot costlier to roll out Fibre internet throughout either Canada or the USA.

http://www.reinisfischer.com/average-salary-european-union-2014

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/who-are-the-1-per-cent-a-snapshot-of-what-canadians-earn/article14269972/?page=all

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You know, a quote of $385,000 for 3-years of service and fiber installation wouldn't be unreasonable if he were looking to get enterprise-caliber business internet...

I currently work at an educational technology consortium that doubles as an ISP for a myriad of school districts and municipal buildings, we are currently in the finishing stages of getting a Windstream fiber circuit installed. We're paying somewhere in the realm of $375,000 for a 3-year service contract and installation, but we're signing up for a 10 Gigabit connection. 

I find it hard to believe that a service contract for the 40 megabits the farmer was seeking could be anywhere close in comparison (let alone $10k more expensive?) to a contract for 10 Gigabits from the same ISP unless 85% of his quote was covering the 4+ miles of fiber supposedly needing to be laid, which in that case the price is seems justifiable. 24,000 feet of cabling and the permits/labor involved in installation would not be a cheap affair; I'm pretty sure we only ended up doing a relatively short length of cabling installation due to our relative closeness to an open and accessible preexisting fiber channel.

It's also perfectly reasonable to have certain fiber lines reserved for private use, it could be used for peering or a failover of some sort. Just because it's a Windstream-owned fiber line doesn't mean it's designed for internet traffic.

You know, a quote of $385,000 for 3-years of service and fiber installation wouldn't be unreasonable if he were looking to get enterprise-caliber business internet...

I currently work at an educational technology consortium that doubles as an ISP for a myriad of school districts and municipal buildings, we are currently in the finishing stages of getting a Windstream fiber circuit installed. We're paying somewhere in the realm of $375,000 for a 3-year service contract and installation, but we're signing up for a 10 Gigabit connection. 

I find it hard to believe that a service contract for the 40 megabits the farmer was seeking could be anywhere close in comparison (let alone $10k more expensive?) to a contract for 10 Gigabits from the same ISP unless 85% of his quote was covering the 4+ miles of fiber supposedly needing to be laid, which in that case the price is seems justifiable. 24,000 feet of cabling and the permits/labor involved in installation would not be a cheap affair; I'm pretty sure we only ended up doing a relatively short length of cabling installation due to our relative closeness to an open and accessible preexisting fiber channel.

It's also perfectly reasonable to have certain fiber lines reserved for private use, it could be used for peering or a failover of some sort. Just because it's a Windstream-owned fiber line doesn't mean it's designed for internet traffic.

I'll just chime in there about the private lines - those are legitimate and do exist.

Here in Ontario, Canada, the three cities in this district (Waterloo, Kitchener, and Cambridge) all have a private fibre network that they've called WREPNet (Waterloo Region Education and Public Network). Basically, it's a high speed private fibre network that connects schools, libraries, and key city infrastructure together.

We use the Fibre connection at work (I work for the Cambridge public library) to connect all our satellite branches together over VLAN's. We get a 1Gbps pipe to each branch, and the branch thinks it's connected to our primary LAN back at the main office, where we host all our servers, and our primary internet connection.

We wouldn't be pleased if some random farmer got spliced into our private line and started cutting into our bandwidth. Now of course, if the ISP was smart, there's tons of Dark Fibre in the ground in every line they run.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)