How many of us actually know how a computer works....?

i know a small fracture of how it works. basically i know how and why some components work. i also know about binary, tough that's basically it.

i'm learning new stuff everyday just by browsing these forums tough! :D

The BIOS is not an operating system. It's firmware.

My bad, not the greatest with terminology.

It is firmware written on a non-volatile ROM chip

EDIT: Some BIOS' are written on EPROMso they can be updated/flashed/etc

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Binary is everything, turns on or off electrical connections. In language those are represented by 1's and 0's. Each one is known as a "bit"

A single bit can only represent two values: 0 or 1. However, with two bits:

x = on           no-x = off

[    ]    [    ] - 0

[ x ]    [   ] - 1

[   ]     [ x ] - 2

[ x ]    [ x ]  - 3

Thus, every possible combination of these bits being on or off can be assigned a value, and thus represent different information, for letters that is known as ASCII. Once you can represent letters, and other information the rest is history.

"It's magic, Joel, it's magic!"

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I have a 247-year degree in Computer Science and Engineering, an xbone, and a $99999.99 PC.

Using my 247 years of experience I can tell you that consoles are much better than a $99999.99 PC. Here's why:

Consoles are made for gaming and therefore use AMD's SuperAPU technology that runs off of the new figi chipset. This allows the CPU/GPU combo (more commonly known as the APU) to be soldered directly to the motherboard, instead of having to use a socket. While this does make them non-upgradeable it makes it much more powerful than a socketed APU. A single $100 figi SuperAPU can outperform a $999999.99 5960X/TitanX combo because it much cheaper to produce. Using the figi chipset, SuperAPUs can also take advantage of DDR15 RAM, which is much more powerful than the platform that modern intel CPUs use, which is DDR4. A single gig of DDR15 performs as good as 128 gigs of DDR4, and is also really cheap to produce, which is another reason that makes consoles cheaper than PCs. Consoles' storage is also better than PCs because the fastest data transfer standard on PCs is NVME, while consoles use the xXxXxXxMountainDewAndDoritosxXxXxXxXx standard, which is much faster, allowing read and write speeds of up to 9999999 d/s (doritos per second).

Also, PC gamers say that PC gaming is cheaper because their servers for multiplayer are free to play on. That is because they are based off of outdated PC architecture. Xbox live servers are also based off of the figi SuperAPU technology and the xXxXxXxMountainDewAndDoritosxXxXxXxXx standard, which makes them much faster than PC servers, therefore being a premium service that costs extra money.

So, today I will be selling my $9999999.99 PC to buy a lifetime supply of Mountain Dew and Doritos. You can find me on xbox live at xXxMLG_ExploDeD117_420xXx

Mai gawd.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Computers work in binary 1 is on 0 is off. We use an operating system to interact with the computer.

Take CS 61C from Berkeley webcast and 6.004 from ocw.mit.edu and you'll get a pretty good idea of the basics. Alternatively the computer organization book by Patterson & Hennessey and then the computer architecture book by Hennessey & Patterson are excellent. You have to know a reasonable amount of programming to follow 61C and 6.004 will require some knowledge of circuits (see 6.002 on ocw.mit.edu), which will require a semester of electromagnetism (see 8.02 or even better 8.022 on ocw.mit.edu).

While I can't say oh a CPU does X operations to function and RAM uses these logic gates I can certainly explain what the purpose of various parts is and what benefits upgrading them will bring

You just explained at least 90% of this forum's user's knowledge of how a PC works

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I have a fairly good bit amount of basic knowledge on how things work, but I can't tell you information on how a processor does what it does, how to make a processor, etc etc same goes for how everything else in the computer works.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Nope, you turn the PC on and the magical CPU square goes 100111001101010101010111000111010001 and boom Windows 10

But sometimes it screws up and we get Windows 01.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Nope, you turn the PC on and the magical CPU square goes 100111001101010101010111000111010001 and boom Windows 10

So, is windows 10 windows 10 or is it windows 2?

computer_problems.png

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

As I have had to design and make a cpu I know how that works and how it communicates with other components. But I don't know the specifics about those other components, although I bet I could give a good educated guess if needed.

have a pretty decent idea but not too indepth

Details separate people.

As I have had to design and make a cpu I know how that works and how it communicates with other components. But I don't know the specifics about those other components, although I bet I could give a good educated guess if needed.

Without Googling, and on an educated guess, briefly explain how a mechanical hard drive works?  :D

(simplest component to explain i could really think of, that and an optical drive)

Without Googling, and on an educated guess, briefly explain how a mechanical hard drive works?  :D

(simplest component to explain i could really think of, that and an optical drive)

The question is always going to remain, can you prove I did / didn't google? But if you will accept my honesty that I actually want to see how bad my memory is and how well I can make an educated guess from what I learned.  

My research and design was related to the architecture of various components such as CPU architectures, the Data path (this was horrible stuff, especially when you need to save stuff to RAM or something, So we were basically given the hard portion of this as It would have taken us so long to compile the code for it we would have had to be given an additonal module or something)) and decoding machine code for use with the various components (not so bad) and RAM (Know the basics, all we needed to use was some Registers for Cache, a cheat yeah, but the CPU still worked), the hard drive is something I have looked at for my exams but a long long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) The reason being I prioritised flash over mechanical is due to the fact the platform I had to implement my architecture on for a demonstration used flash, Anyway I have looked at HDD's over my course, although it might have been as far back as my 1st year, so I may be a little rusty to say the least. 

The basics that I can remember from my proff goes like this.

You have the disk and the platter. The disk has tracks, so if you zoomed in with a microscope you would see that its much like a old record disk, and the platter is much like the thingy that runs the disk (Can't remember its name), however the difference is hdd's are digital (Fun fact, an old analogue record player is far better for music than any digital device due to the fact you don't need ADC's to store the info, and DAC's to play it, each of the converting process which will reduce the quality of the original signal.)

Anyway getting back on track...... The difference between an old record player, and a modern HDD's is the fact a HDD is digital and will only pick up a '1' or a '0' depending on the direction of a signal (cant remember if its a current dependant based system or voltage) induced in the platter. (Faraday, fuck yeah) (I can't remember if its in reverse due to how the system works though)

Anyway, to read, if the platter runs over a 'bit' (Can't remember the cell name thingy) and it represents a digital 1 depending on the signal that is induced. (Like I said, can't remember the directions)

To record I can't remember the physics behind it, but it changes the direction of the 'bit' to be the opp pole (Reversing the signal).

I can't remember how the hard drive determines where to save stuff on the disk though, Infact I'm not sure I learned that much. 

I haven't done optical disks, but think I read somewhere its how the laser is relfected or something. 

Time to check how close I was........ Oh, memory is pretty shit, good job I don't need to work with HDD's. 

The question is always going to remain, can you prove I did / didn't google? But if you will accept my honesty that I actually want to see how bad my memory is and how well I can make an educated guess from what I learned.  

My research and design was related to the architecture of various components such as CPU architectures, the Data path (this was horrible stuff, especially when you need to save stuff to RAM or something, So we were basically given the hard portion of this as It would have taken us so long to compile the code for it we would have had to be given an additonal module or something)) and decoding machine code for use with the various components (not so bad) and RAM (Know the basics, all we needed to use was some Registers for Cache, a cheat yeah, but the CPU still worked), the hard drive is something I have looked at for my exams but a long long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) The reason being I prioritised flash over mechanical is due to the fact the platform I had to implement my architecture on for a demonstration used flash, Anyway I have looked at HDD's over my course, although it might have been as far back as my 1st year, so I may be a little rusty to say the least. 

The basics that I can remember from my proff goes like this.

You have the disk and the platter. The disk has tracks, so if you zoomed in with a microscope you would see that its much like a old record disk, and the platter is much like the thingy that runs the disk (Can't remember its name), however the difference is hdd's are digital (Fun fact, an old analogue record player is far better for music than any digital device due to the fact you don't need ADC's to store the info, and DAC's to play it, each of the converting process which will reduce the quality of the original signal.)

Anyway getting back on track...... The difference between an old record player, and a modern HDD's is the fact a HDD is digital and will only pick up a '1' or a '0' depending on the direction of a signal (cant remember if its a current dependant based system or voltage) induced in the platter. (Faraday, fuck yeah) (I can't remember if its in reverse due to how the system works though)

Anyway, to read, if the platter runs over a 'bit' (Can't remember the cell name thingy) and it represents a digital 1 depending on the signal that is induced. (Like I said, can't remember the directions)

To record I can't remember the physics behind it, but it changes the direction of the 'bit' to be the opp pole (Reversing the signal).

I can't remember how the hard drive determines where to save stuff on the disk though, Infact I'm not sure I learned that much. 

I haven't done optical disks, but think I read somewhere its how the laser is relfected or something. 

Time to check how close I was........ Oh, memory is pretty shit, good job I don't need to work with HDD's. 

More comprehensive than i was expecting  :P

The write head basically being an electromagnet, which directs the magnetic field into a bit to make it a north or south field(which is what the computer reads as binary), and reverses the direction of current in the write head to reverse the direction of the magnetic field of the bit. The read head can then detect the direction of the magnetic field in the bit.

That's what i remember of how data is represented on the drive and put simply anyway, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of that  :lol:

I know a little bit about it, but not too in depth.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i would say i have a good grasp. but there is some shit that is still confusing af.

I know how they work. If there is anything that I use daily I like to know how they work and what each component does. Helps a ton when troubleshooting. 

This goes for Cars, Computers, bicycles, plumbing, Air conditioning (im a bit rusty on that though lol), phones, watches, refrigerators, fans, etc. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

i do hardware wise.

CPU is sort of the brain, RAM is the short term memory, storage is the long term, etc. I just try to equate the parts to actual human organs to get people to understand. Hahaha.

And the motherboard is the backbone

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

The system goes through a lot of commands during post before you even see the windows boot screen.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list