Digital Campaigners have asked Google to police stolen webcam videos on YouTube

spbr

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33817028

In a report released at the Black Hat conference, the Digital Citizens Alliance said it had found thousands of videos on YouTube that featured stolen footage.

Adam Benson, deputy director of the non-profit DCA, said the trade in stolen webcam footage was troubling and called on Google, to stop relying on computer-based methods to find and remove the videos.

In a statement, Google said: "YouTube has clear policies that outline what content is acceptable to post and we remove videos violating these policies when flagged by our users."

Adam Benson, said the tool of choice for the people who shared the videos online were programmes known as "remote access trojans". This gives an attacker access to a victim's computer and grants them as much control over it at its real owner. Many sites that offer people links to pirated content harboured the trojans and infected people who thought they would be getting free songs, movies or games whey they clicked on the link. Once installed, the hacker can find out if a machine has a webcam and then starts to stream images from them seeking candid footage.  

How is Google meant to look through every video that goes on their site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33817028

In a report released at the Black Hat conference, the Digital Citizens Alliance said it had found thousands of videos on YouTube that featured stolen footage.

Adam Benson, deputy director of the non-profit DCA, said the trade in stolen webcam footage was troubling and called on Google, to stop relying on computer-based methods to find and remove the videos.

In a statement, Google said: "YouTube has clear policies that outline what content is acceptable to post and we remove videos violating these policies when flagged by our users."

Adam Benson, said the tool of choice for the people who shared the videos online were programmes known as "remote access trojans". This gives an attacker access to a victim's computer and grants them as much control over it at its real owner. Many sites that offer people links to pirated content harboured the trojans and infected people who thought they would be getting free songs, movies or games whey they clicked on the link. Once installed, the hacker can find out if a machine has a webcam and then starts to stream images from them seeking candid footage.  

How is Google meant to look through every video that goes on their site.

Yeah Google already has a process in place. See a video that is stolen? Flag it. Google will get to it in time.

There's no way they could dedicate actual manpower to this, since it would take THOUSANDS of man hours per day.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah Google already has a process in place. See a video that is stolen? Flag it. Google will get to it in time.

There's no way they could dedicate actual manpower to this, since it would take THOUSANDS of man hours per day.

........would be the best job ever if they did though.

"So Bob, what do you do for a living?"

"I watch youtube video's all day. Not that I'm slacking off, that's my actual job".

".......you lucky bastard".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"I watch youtube video's all day. Not that I'm slacking off, that's my actual job".

Honestly, that would be the most mind numbingly boring job in existence. Remember, you're not watching a bunch of good content that you subscribed to.

You'll be watching 3000 identical cat videos in a row, and shitty movies that people tried to get away with uploading.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

p8cl5.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

That is asking a bit much.

@Trik'Stari @dalekphalm @Misanthrope From what I hear, your job is to watch flagged videos for content that breaks the usage terms (or the law). You are not allowed to stop watching after you've seen such content, but instead must watch the video all the way through and write a report about it. With all of the beheadings, sexual images, and other random things people try to slip into their videos, you have to take a psychiatric evaluation periodically (I think it was every month or every 3 months) and the failure rate isn't negligible. Not a job I would want, though apparently it pays well.

@Trik'Stari @dalekphalm @Misanthrope From what I hear, your job is to watch flagged videos for content that breaks the usage terms (or the law). You are not allowed to stop watching after you've seen such content, but instead must watch the video all the way through and write a report about it. With all of the beheadings, sexual images, and other random things people try to slip into their videos, you have to take a psychiatric evaluation periodically (I think it was every month or every 3 months) and the failure rate isn't negligible. Not a job I would want, though apparently it pays well.

Seen enough gory and sexual videos in my time, though I don't think I would ever pass a psychiatric evaluation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

oh god.....that actually sounds horrible.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs