Are Linus and Luke nVidia fanboys?

Influencija

You do raise a good point, but was the 770 not cheaper than the 680?

From what I can see a 390x is no cheaper than an 8gb version of the 290x (not a massive reason, but may be the reason for their unenthusiastic view on the card)

770 was A LOT cheaper than 680 and 760 was A LOT cheaper than 670. It was a rebrand done right. And they even cut prices again once 780ti launched. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gtx-780-price-drop,24886.html

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

With the way AMD's been going on the graphics side lately I'd say that they are somewhat justified in recommending Nvidia instead.

3xx cards were dissapointing as fuck. Fury series not so much but I was under the impression that it (the R9 Fury / X) was going to be an 8GB card.

I think there are biases, but some of it is earned. Nvidia has been producing quality products and have had the fastest cards in the market. I am also not sure how interactive with reviewers Nvidia has been in comparison to AMD, which can build trust and respect. Generally they tend to be pretty fair, and I don't think there is any fanboying going on but there is likely some bias as they are only human and having good experiences with a particular company can create that bias.

The Nvidia logo is still on the site and I hadn't heard about them dropping them as a partner.

And as much as I respect and like Linus, he isn't somehow invulnerable from influences from his company's partners. Nvidia doesn't just partner with people in the vested interest of giving people reviews on tech, they had something they wanted to get out of the agreement as well.

I think they keep the logo on there more so as an advertisement for LMG so other companies may be more attracted to sponsor them. And I agree, but I really don't think that Linus would've accepted a deal in which they're forced to quell their own opinions to promote Nividia.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Many times nvidia just have access first to the games, because some studios use their software to produce the game, Anyway the overall performance of AMD and Nvidia because of drivers even on the release date of the games is not very diferent. But maybe you have a source that can prove that you are saying.

GTA V driver for AMD took weeks to come out of beta and performance was shit the entire time. Same with Witcher 3, yes these are Nvidia titles but we've seen no proof that Nvidia are actually holding AMD back, of course apart from the baseless 'he did it' accusations by AMD. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

First of all, I do not mean this post to be an accusation, but a fair question.

Luke did a review of R9 390x. He tried not ranting and being objective, but the message of the video is: noone ever in any circumstances should buy this card. Overall opinion is that the whole 300 series is just a rebrand with nothing new to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAbBU43mpo

Here is a video of Linus' review of GTX 770. Somehow that card is not a rebrand of GTX 680, but an "enhanched edition" of it, and you can tell its superior because its memory is clocked at 7GHz (because memory speed is the most important GPU geature), and because of that its much better for higher than 1080p resolutions?

And although it didnt show any improvement compared to GTX 680, that's surely because on their particular card GPU boost was not working as it should.

What do you guys think, are they somewhat fanboyish?

Something else to consider in your comparison, while the 770 was more or less a 680 at least it was knocked down to a x70 card.

The 390x is retaining the x90 numbering putting it at the top of its class for the r9 300s meaning its basicly the same song and dance as the 200s

Lastly there was alot of talk and controversy over that fact where is the 770 never had that. (Rebrands are nothing new so it shouldn't of.) They were simply addressing issues people had in their video.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

For me it comes down to fury being a bit of a damp squib and the 770 being a refresh (as are the 300 series) while the 780 titan and 780 Ti was then released with really good performance..

I think the negativeness on AMD is that they seem to be in a corner and people were expecting more from them this release.

I do however also believe that Fury is essentially the architecture being pushed to the limit as a test bed for HBM..  With a die shrink and another architecture refresh / redesign they could have something potent next time round... At least I hope they do.

(not that a 390/x or fury isn't potent.. but there are too many draw-backs IMO)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I can't agree more.. I am personally a AMD fanboy(only of their GPU's tho :P) but I think they are nVidia fanboys, because its true, the faster memory clocks is it? The 390x has 4 MORE GIGS OF VRAM THEN THE 290X, so thats technically a much bigger difference  rather then a mem clock improvement.. I think they are nVidia fanboys, so I think they could possibly do unfair reviews of AMD gpu's, or have unfair opinions to say the least.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

They used to be sponsored by nividia, not anymore. I think I share Linus'/Luke's opinions on that matter, I just use whatever is best for me, I might like Nividia cards a bit better but I have a 280x, simply because it was better than the nividia offering at the time, and still is. 

Besides, being sponsored by Nividia doesn't necessarily influence their own opinions, and I have no doubt in my mind that if Linus/Luke wasn't allowed to speak/critique on Nividia products, they would have never been sponsored by them. 

I think the other thing you have to remember is that AMD has sponsored LTT as well in the past (like here, here(?) and here) and the fact that the website isn't really updated that often (if ever).

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Well in my oppinion, and just to make it clear, I don't think they are fanboys - and I have that feeling both in their personal and professional oppinions.

Yet they produce way more NVIDIA related content - there's no doubt about it. Clearly they have a better relationship with NVIDIA, and that shows, and they want to keep it that way for obvious reasons and they tend to carefully approach some of the NVIDIA related scandals... so it kinda influences their content.

We have no information, neither they should disclose it, what is paid media or even if there's any paid media. In fact it doesn't matter because in the end they cannot stretch more content out of thin air, even though they review more NVIDIA cards, and they stretch the content around it.

Now they are not to blame (if you can use the word blame, it's just business) on this, mainly because I just think AMD Marketing and PR department is the main cause for their current situation ... it's not even their tech wich is as great as NVIDIA's.

I'm not a AMD fanboy, I just don't like NVIDIA practices... yet I cannot blame them for marketing the right way. It's how they achieve their current success, and AMD has no fucking clue how to do it.

I think Luke and Linus personal preference show thru on their videos. Also I believe reviewers should be impartial, something LTT is not. The most impartial reviewer on yourtube is TB and he himself states all time how it is hard not to be biased. But I lost a lot of respect for LTT ever since they posted their fury x video. I went to LTT first to see their review and ended up 5 mins into the video, Oh the card doesn't work. I was pissed. Therefore linus and luke opinion doesn't hold any weight with me. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I got the impression that Luke was a little hard on this 390x. It trades blows with the 980 and costs less. How is that a bad thing? 

He said it wasn't as fast as he was expecting, but how fast was he expecting it to be? The Fury sits between the 980 and 980Ti, so why would you expect the 390x to be anywhere near that? Of course it's not going to be drastically faster than the 290x because it's the same GPU (binned) with a few improvements to the board layout/components. Sounded to me like he was really down-playing it more than necessary. 

I think people need to stop comparing it to ONLY the 1.5 year old, and now very cheap 290x which will very soon become unavailable and start comparing it to the card it directly competes with, the 980. 

I realize by now, they've done SO many GPU reviews it get's tiresome and repetitive, but I also noticed it seemed like very little effort was put into this review compared to what we see of other cards being reviewed. It seemed like he didn't know what to say about it, like there was no script written. This video was definitely on the lower- quality of LMG's work and I don't think Luke did this card proper justice. Just my opinion.

One thing I will agree on that was pointed out in the video is the very unimpressive temperatures. I'm guessing Asus went a little too overboard on trying to make the card stay quiet and gave it a way to conservative fan curve. I'd rather have my card run cooler and make a little more noise than run like a space heater in silence. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

GTA V driver for AMD took weeks to come out of beta and performance was shit the entire time. Same with Witcher 3, yes these are Nvidia titles but we've seen no proof that Nvidia are actually holding AMD back, of course apart from the baseless 'he did it' accusations by AMD. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

You have not been paying attention, here is yet ANOTHER overview.

http://wccftech.com/exclusive-nvidias-amds-perspectives-gameworks-bottom-issue/

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I'm pretty sure that they are just fanboys of high-end hardware.

If it performs well, then they will be a fan of it.

Someone said the $100 difference is unjust.

Are we scared to bring up the GTX 970 and GTX 980 difference? Hmm... Sounds quite familiar. Nvidia gets a free pass on everything with LTT, it's hard to imagine what they'd do if they got scammed by them.

But honestly, I get why they prefer Nvidia. AMD takes ages to release drivers. Been a few months for a driver to release but I ended up selling my AMD cards for a GTX 970

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

To give you a newer example: up on vessel is the review of the new Acer widescreen freesync monitor. Glowing marks until the very end when he said he wishes it was Nvidia Gsync instead.

Now, you and I could make that comment because we actually do pay for hardware. It would take him 15 minutes to swap for a Fury X if he wanted to use the monitor to have virtually identical performance than his current Titan X. So he basically made that comment out of nothing but personal bias since by his own admission, going by the rest of the review, the monitor is damn near perfect for him. Except it doesn't happens to be a "Team Green" monitor but a "Team Red" monitor to somebody that like I said, should find no relevance on teams since he has free hardware anyway and they're evenly matched right now.

In fact it was so obvious I think it was just done on purpose to arise controversy and comments and such to make the video more visible. Well maybe not quite but it was a pretty controversial and unnecessary remark to make and right at the end.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm pretty sure that they are just fanboys of high-end hardware.

If it performs well, then they will be a fan of it.

By that logic they would adore apple and if anything they're biased against them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

By that logic they would adore apple and if anything they're biased against them.

Huh? Apple products doesn't preform well at all for what Linus and the rest of their crew are doing. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Apple has amazing industrial design, but their hardware they are using isn't anywhere close to the bleeding edge.

And the only reason why Linus would have preferred G-sync for that monitor was because of that Nvidia has a better offering for the highest end at this point in time. Yes, AMD has the Fury X. But the 980ti makes a little more sense at a similar price point, with its 6GB vRAM vs 4GB on AMD's side.

But Linus also mentioned this "...But that should be remedied shortly if what I heard from a little bird is anything to go of.". So that could be the R9 Nano (or whatever it wants to be called).

To give you a newer example: up on vessel is the review of the new Acer widescreen freesync monitor. Glowing marks until the very end when he said he wishes it was Nvidia Gsync instead.

Now, you and I could make that comment because we actually do pay for hardware. It would take him 15 minutes to swap for a Fury X if he wanted to use the monitor to have virtually identical performance than his current Titan X. So he basically made that comment out of nothing but personal bias since by his own admission, going by the rest of the review, the monitor is damn near perfect for him. Except it doesn't happens to be a "Team Green" monitor but a "Team Red" monitor to somebody that like I said, should find no relevance on teams since he has free hardware anyway and they're evenly matched right now.

In fact it was so obvious I think it was just done on purpose to arise controversy and comments and such to make the video more visible. Well maybe not quite but it was a pretty controversial and unnecessary remark to make and right at the end.

Haven't watched that review yet, but if that's the case, then that's pure bias right there and I'm actually quite disappointed in him for saying that. I've always liked Linus and LMG videos in general for their usually un-biased viewpoints, but lately it seems they've been down-playing the red team more than necessary and it's a little troubling, IMO. People come to see their videos to get the full scoop, but at this rate, that's not what LMG has been delivering. Linus has always been a proponent of telling it like it is - even when it came to reviewing sponsored products. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Huh? Apple products doesn't preform well at all for what Linus and the rest of their crew are doing. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Apple has amazing industrial design, but their hardware they are using isn't anywhere close to the bleeding edge.

And the only reason why Linus would have preferred G-sync for that monitor was because of that Nvidia has a better offering for the highest end at this point in time. Yes, AMD has the Fury X. But the 980ti makes a little more sense at a similar price point, with its 6GB vRAM vs 4GB on AMD's side.

But Linus also mentioned this "...But that should be remedied shortly if what I heard from a little bird is anything to go of.". So that could be the R9 Nano (or whatever it wants to be called).

They are on the bleeding edge according to

1) Apple

2) Apple fans

3) Their pricing strategies.

Seriously I'm not even kidding: a lot of people are deeply indoctrinated to think that they absolutely need an Apple for superior hardware, if not try talking a graphics designer out of using an Apple: it's easier to extract water from rocks using your bare fucking hands.

Also at the end I understood he was talking about an upcoming gsync monitor not the nano, which will not have better performance at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Haven't watched that review yet, but if that's the case, then that's pure bias right there and I'm actually quite disappointed in him for saying that. I've always liked Linus and LMG videos in general for their usually un-biased viewpoints, but lately it seems they've been down-playing the red team more than necessary and it's a little troubling, IMO. People come to see their videos to get the full scoop, but at this rate, that's not what LMG has been delivering. Linus has always been a proponent of telling it like it is - even when it came to reviewing sponsored products. 

Do watch the video yourself though because as I said it was so blatant it was almost cheesy so it might be intentional, not sure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ya, some. Some critical thinking on our part negates it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If not try talking a graphics designer out of using an Apple: it's easier to extract water from rocks using your bare fucking hands.

That's probably like making a Canon fanboy switch over to Nikon, and vise versa.

Do watch the video yourself though because as I said it was so blatant it was almost cheesy so it might be intentional, not sure.

Ok, I'll watch it this evening before I say anymore. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler