Which parts of my rig do I ABSOLUTELY have to upgrade?

GGNN

Hey guys, so here's what I have at the moment :

• CPU : Intel i7 920
  • Motherboard : Asus P6T Deluxe V2
  • RAM : Corsair 9Gb
  • GPU : Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce
  • Case : Antec Twelve Hundred
  • Storage : Samsung 250Gb SSD + WDC 1Tb
  • PSU : Antec 550w
  • Display : HP 22" 1080p
  • Operating System : Windows 8.1 (until 10 comes out)

For know, I only intend to buy a 144Hz 1440p display to replace my current one, and a medium to high-end GPU to run things smoothly

Any suggestions as to what are the things that I need to buy first? Some of the things I'm most worried about are :

-will my CPU bottleneck a high-end GPU?

-if so, should I overclock it?

-in that case,  should I get better cooling to make sure that I can OC both CPU and GPU?

-and if not, should I just buy a better CPU?

I'm open to all suggestions, and I have no brand preference (I've always gone with Nvidia until now but it doesn't mean I won't consider AMD)

Better GPU, invest into some cooling like a NZXT x41 or x61 kraken, then yeah it will bottleneck but it can wait to be upgrade. After like a month upgrade the CPU and mobo. Something like a i5-4690k would be good assuming you game. If you do more intensive things like editing or what not a 4790k would fit,your needs.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Buying a better cpu will also need a new motherboards, so you might be better off just overclocking it. there are many cheap yet efficient air coolers like the hyper 212 evo out there.

for gaming the 660 is not bad, but if you want to be using the 144hz capability of your monitor without running at med settings/ lower than 1080p, a gpu upgrade would be recommended. something like an r9 290 (really cheap now), or a gtx 970 would do you very well at 1080p.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

How'd you manage to get 9gigs of ram? 4+4+1?

Assuming you're getting something along the lines of a 390(x)~980(ti) then your cpu probably won't be a bottleneck as much, as long as you overclock. But seeing that that's nearing 5 years old, you might think about upgrading that. If you really need one now, then like @DarkBlade2117 said, a 4690k/4790k will be good, or if you can wait until September or so, get a skylake i5 6600/i7 6700. You're going to get a new motherboard (and potentially new ram as well)

Oh, almost forgot, you probably will need to get a new PowerSupply. 550W is pushing it too close for my comfort for a high end cpu+gpu, especially when it's a number of years old. 

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

what games do you want to play? 1440p ultra 60fps on AAA games takes both my 970s, so for 144Hz youll need a great system. but ive its less demanding games then youll need less

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

i am going to guess 1gbx3 and 2gbx3.

CPU for user the first iteration of i3/5/7s are really bottle necking these days.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

1. PSU

GPU

A new CPU cooler for OCing the CPU

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Assuming you're getting something along the lines of a 390(x)~980(ti) then your cpu probably won't be a bottleneck as much, as long as you overclock. But seeing that that's nearing 5 years old, you might think about upgrading that. If you really need one now, then like @DarkBlade2117 said, a 4690k/4790k will be good, or if you can wait until September or so, get a skylake i5 6600/i7 6700. You're going to get a new motherboard (and potentially new ram as well)

Oh, almost forgot, you probably will need to get a new PowerSupply. 550W is pushing it too close for my comfort for a high end cpu+gpu, especially when it's a number of years old. 

I got 3x1Go + 3x2Go RAM, works like a charm.

To be honest, I'd much rather try to overclock my CPU (the i7 920 can OC pretty nicely from what I've read) than buy a new CPU + motherboard. I'd rather spend that money on a nice GPU.

what games do you want to play? 1440p ultra 60fps on AAA games takes both my 970s, so for 144Hz youll need a great system. but ive its less demanding games then youll need less

I want to play 60+fps on AAA games, but also 144fps on older games like cs:go

1. PSU
  2. GPU
  3. A new CPU cooler for OCing the CPU

550W won't be enough ? Do I absolutely have to upgrade my PSU if I want to get a high-end GPU ?

Also, forgot to mention I've already got a pretty big Noctua fan on my CPU, won't that be enough to cool it if I OC?

550W won't be enough ? Do I absolutely have to upgrade my PSU if I want to get a high-end GPU ?

550W arent enough for a Highend GPU. 650W minimum, sry Dude.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Especially AMD cards are not champions in power efficiency. Nvidia is Okay-ish.

Ok then, I guess I need to spend at least 1500 bucks to upgrade a rig that already cost me more than $2000 when I got it six years ago :(

I guess it's go hard or go home with the PC gaming master race

Also, forgot to mention I've already got a pretty big Noctua fan on my CPU, won't that be enough to cool it if I OC?

do you happen to have the exact model number? They range from "pretty good, in range with the 212evo" to "damn good, competes with some AIO liquid cooling".

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

It really depends on the PSU's quality however i am almost 100% sure that a PSU of x58 era even if it is an Antec will produce coil whine in newer mid-high end GPUs not to mention that you won't be able to do a high end GPU on a 550w, they need 600-650w and above for stability, i am talking the 980s, 390s and furys.

I am not sure if the Noctua would be enough because you did not mention what the model is. <------things like this are needed to do a more accurate assessment of your system.

Ok then, I guess I need to spend at least 1500 bucks to upgrade a rig that already cost me more than $2000 when I got it six years ago :(

I guess it's go hard or go home with the PC gaming master race

2000€ in 6 Years is ok. When you upgrade now, you are done for the next Years.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It really depends on the PSU's quality however i am almost 100% sure that a PSU of x58 era even if it is an Antec will produce coil whine in newer mid-high end GPUs not to mention that you won't be able to do a high end GPU on a 550w, they need 600-650w and above for stability, i am talking the 980s, 390s and furys.

I am not sure if the Noctua would be enough because you did not mention what the model is. <------things like this are needed to do a more accurate assessment of your system.

Ok so I checked and turns out my Noctua is just an NF-P12 CPU heatsink/fan so I might want to get something bigger

a 980TI should be ideal

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

As another user said, 3 x 1GB + 3 x 2GB. 1st gen enthusiast i7s used triple channel memory.

• CPU : Intel i7 920
  • Motherboard : Asus P6T Deluxe V2
  • RAM : Corsair 9Gb
  • GPU : Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce
  • PSU : Antec 550w

For know, I only intend to buy a 144Hz 1440p display to replace my current one, and a medium to high-end GPU to run things smoothly

Any suggestions as to what are the things that I need to buy first? Some of the things I'm most worried about are :

-will my CPU bottleneck a high-end GPU?

-if so, should I overclock it?

-in that case,  should I get better cooling to make sure that I can OC both CPU and GPU?

-and if not, should I just buy a better CPU?

Everything I left in the list should be changed.

Because of this.

First and foremost, you want to buy a GPU. Your 660 is not even going to be close to cutting it at 1440p 144Hz.

Yes, your CPU will bottleneck at high FPS counts.

Will help, but not enough. The jump from 1st gen i7 to 2nd gen i7 is massive, and the cumulative jump from 1st gen to 4th gen (or 6th gen if you go skylake) will be so large that you can expect no less than 60% of a boost in power. 1st gen i-series chips are pretty weak all things considered.

You're going to need a new mobo and everything for a CPU upgrade, so... yup.

The last 3 points suggest to buy a new CPU

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

As another user said, 3 x 1GB + 3 x 2GB. 1st gen enthusiast i7s used triple channel memory.

Everything I left in the list should be changed.

Because of this.

First and foremost, you want to buy a GPU. Your 660 is not even going to be close to cutting it at 1440p 144Hz.

Yes, your CPU will bottleneck at high FPS counts.

Will help, but not enough. The jump from 1st gen i7 to 2nd gen i7 is massive, and the cumulative jump from 1st gen to 4th gen (or 6th gen if you go skylake) will be so large that you can expect no less than 60% of a boost in power. 1st gen i-series chips are pretty weak all things considered.

You're going to need a new mobo and everything for a CPU upgrade, so... yup.

The last 3 points suggest to buy a new CPU

Well, ok then... Even the RAM has to be thrown away ? Gosh that just hurts :( At least I can keep the Twelve Hundred case I guess

Well, ok then... Even the RAM has to be thrown away ? Gosh that just hurts :( At least I can keep the Twelve Hundred case I guess

Well you'll need dual channel DDR3 with better speed/timings for Haswell, or DDR3L/DDR4 for Skylake.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Well you could always just upgrade your graphics card and if performance is unsatisfactory than you will know if you need to upgrade your CPU.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Ok so I checked and turns out my Noctua is just an NF-P12 CPU heatsink/fan so I might want to get something bigger

The NF-P12 is just a Noctua fan and not a heatsink and a fan. If you already have an OC, or when you do an OC on your CPU and whatever you have is cooling good enough for you then you can definitely keep it. If it isn't you will need to change it but you will have to ensure it can fit in your 12hundred, which i doubt you will have a problem anyway. When choosing heatsinks, you don't really need bigger but more efficient, for example, a bigger air cooler maybe about say $80 but there may be a more efficient air cooler for less, then it would be wise to just get the cheaper one if it cools the same or better.