Just bought a MSI Z97 Krait.. Should I return it?

So went to Microcenter and got the i5 4690k and msi krait bundle and soon as I told my friends about the board they all bashed on me and said I should of got something better for gaming.

So is the board that bad?

I haven't even opened it yet, so I can always go and return it and see what else I can find.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

its not that bad it will work and do what you want it to

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

theres nothing wrong with it, they clearly have no clue about motherboards.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

its a really good board, there's nothing wrong with it man, they just dont know anything about mobos 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

it can sli and crossfire  and it looks pretty nice :P i dont think they generally make sli boards that are poor, they normally put good components onto them.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Pretty good board, got it myself. Overclocks like a champ with my 4790k. 

MAYBE, what your friends are saying is, you could have gotten a cheaper one that does the same job. (which is true, but then you have something like a golden ASUS MB or a Blue ASROCK board)

i decided for the board since it is Black/White. Sure, it is more expensive then some random mb, but it looks cool

It's an epic board. They have no clue what's going on evidently :P

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

I have the board and I love it, I'm not sure what your friends are about maybe they don't like MSI or something, but they're completely wrong it's a great board

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

Something better for gaming? There's nothing wrong with it.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

na man you need a motherboard that says "gaming" on it or it sucks Kappa

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

It's a decent board and it supports SLI. What boards did your friend suggest to get that is better for gaming? 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

its not that bad it will work and do what you want it to

theres nothing wrong with it, they clearly have no clue about motherboards.

agreed

its a really good board, there's nothing wrong with it man, they just dont know anything about mobos 

it can sli and crossfire  and it looks pretty nice :P i dont think they generally make sli boards that are poor, they normally put good components onto them.

Honestly that board is one of the most used in setups and not a cheap z97 board either stick with it.

Pretty good board, got it myself. Overclocks like a champ with my 4790k. 

MAYBE, what your friends are saying is, you could have gotten a cheaper one that does the same job. (which is true, but then you have something like a golden ASUS MB or a Blue ASROCK board)

i decided for the board since it is Black/White. Sure, it is more expensive then some random mb, but it looks cool

It's an epic board. They have no clue what's going on evidently :P

I have the board and I love it, I'm not sure what your friends are about maybe they don't like MSI or something, but they're completely wrong it's a great board

na man you need a motherboard that says "gaming" on it or it sucks Kappa

It's a decent board and it supports SLI. What boards did your friend suggest to get that is better for gaming? 

Thanks for all the replies!

They didn't say what motherboard I should of got but they did say : ''That Z97 board has shit specs and that the Microcenter guys said it was good because they make commission of sales''.

(I really wanted the EVGA Z97 but they had none and Frys was also out)

I had no clue on what motherboard to get after they told me they had no EVGA Z97 motherboards. 

So I just asked for the Krait motherboard.

Now I'm still set on the EVGA board and I'm wondering if it would be any better than the Krait? (Quality,Performance and reliability)

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

They didn't say what motherboard I should of got but they did say : ''That Z97 board has shit specs and that the Microcenter guys said it was good because they make commission of sales''.

I had no clue on what motherboard to get after they told me they had no EVGA Z97 motherboards. 

Now I'm still set on the EVGA board and I'm wondering if it would be any better than the Krait? (Quality,Performance and reliability)

keep the krait and save yourself some money, its a good motherboard, dont listen to your mates, arrogant is what they are.

Which one if you mean the all black one there is no point in a $300 board with a $200 CPU if the red one just get an msi or ROG board.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

so after everything we said you still gonna refund it... wow

so after everything we said you still gonna refund it... wow

I'm sure I said "Now I'm still set on the EVGA board and I'm wondering if it would be any better than the Krait?''

Also it's my money and choice at the end of the day and I'm here asking if that EVGA board would be any better than the Krait.

If not, I'm going to keep the krait motherboard.

Which one if you mean the all black one there is no point in a $300 board with a $200 CPU if the red one just get an msi or ROG board.

It was the Z97 FTW motherboard.

mobo don't give you preformance increase (if u didn;t know)

that evga board is actually worse

So what are the benchmarks that compare motherboard performance?

I noticed some do better than others and the Krait was the worst one when it came to gaming. (OverClock3D Review)

So what are the benchmarks that compare motherboard performance?

I noticed some do better than others and the Krait was the worst one when it came to gaming. (OverClock3D Review)

and what exactly did the Krait do worse in gaming?

Luke did a Video-series on, how to decide which Motherboard to pick. And if i remember correctly he said its all about the usability of the BIOS to overclock, and possible connectors on the board. 

if your board got enough Fan headers, enough Sata Ports, PCIe slots, then it's fine. 

higher end mb just get you support for 3-way or 4-way SLI, maybe faster Ram Profiles (which i assume you are not going to need with the i5), more fan headers, more Sata-ports 

MSI has been making motherboards since 1986. Evga on the other hand just started and their first board was the X58. Still don't like the MSI just because your friend said it sucks, then return it and grab something else like the Asus Z97-A. Now if your friend still say that Asus board has shit specs. Then it's time to find some new friends. lol :P

j/k

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list