Best Antivirus

JMSOG

I think this is the correct location...

So, i had a bit of a virus scare a week ago...didn't end up being a virus, but it made me realise i probably need an ACTUAL antivirus software.

I know things like norton technically fit the definition of "virus" themselves...So, what is a good affordible, optimally free, antivirus software that works?

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

I think this is the correct location...

So, i had a bit of a virus scare a week ago...didn't end up being a virus, but it made me realise i probably need an ACTUAL antivirus software.

I know things like norton technically fit the definition of "virus" themselves...So, what is a good affordible, optimally free, antivirus software that works?

I'd suggest Bitdefender Free, paired with Malwarebytes. Have Bitdefender do the realtime protection, and run Malwarebytes monthly.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

MBAM

+ WINDOWS defender

you don't really NEED any more on a consumer pc.

Norton is doing me fine. I would prob get Kaspersky look on g2a.com and get something off there for cheap.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

I got McAfee well cheap.

I also paid for 1 key and got 3, so I threw it onto my parents computers as well.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

MBAM

+ WINDOWS defender

you don't really NEED any more on a consumer pc.

Yes, you really do. 

Malwarebytes provides no real-time protection (unless it's premium), and well, Windows Defender may as well not  :lol:

EDIT: OP, Bitdefender free or AVG free, and occasional Malwarebytes scans. 

Mcafee Paired with Malwarebytes, been using since 8 years, dont know if its the best, they all have their pros and cons. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Yes, you really do. 

Malwarebytes provides no real-time protection (unless it's premium), and well, Windows Defender may as well not  :lol:

EDIT: OP, Bitdefender free or AVG free, and occasional Malwarebytes scans. 

i have never had any problems

my sister had a problem once i put full MBAM on her computer and now has no longer had problems.

if you use the internet smart u don't. + chromes protection.

I know things like norton technically fit the definition of "virus" themselves...

Most free AVs are decent, lightweight and will catch around 95% of threats. Paid AVs such as Norton and McAfee tend to get more like 98-99% of threats and use a lot more of your PC's resources to do it, which is why they act like viruses themselves, as you put it.

I use AVG for general use and every year or so use Malwarebytes.

i have never had any problems

my sister had a problem once i put full MBAM on her computer and now has no longer had problems.

if you use the internet smart u don't. + chromes protection.

You recommended to use MBAM (not sure how that's an acronym for Malwarebytes but i'll roll with it) and Windows Defender; yet, just said you ran a MBAM scan on your sisters computer and not had any problems (not sure what 'problems you're talking about', as often malware won't make it's self known), so obviously Windows Defender didn't do anything in protecting it against malware... So until you run a Malwarebytes scan, that malware is just going to be sitting on your machine doing it's work spreading to any external storage media you connect to it... 

It's ALWAYS recommended to have real-time anti-virus/malware protection installed; even if you 'use' the Internet 'smart', you're not immune to malware... As the majority of time it's downloaded through just visiting the page, and even 'smart' people go onto unsuspecting pages occasionally. 

You recommended to use MBAM (not sure how that's an acronym for Malwarebytes but i'll roll with it) and Windows Defender; yet, just said you ran a MBAM scan on your sisters computer and not had any problems (not sure what 'problems you're talking about', as often malware won't make it's self known), so obviously Windows Defender didn't do anything in protecting it against malware... So until you run a Malwarebytes scan, that malware is just going to be sitting on your machine doing it's work spreading to any external storage media you connect to it... 

It's ALWAYS recommended to have real-time anti-virus/malware protection installed; even if you 'use' the Internet 'smart', you're not immune to malware... As the majority of time it's downloaded through just visiting the page, and even 'smart' people go onto unsuspecting pages occasionally. 

true, but i mean i scan once a week or 2 weeks with MBAM  (malwre bytes anti malware), since im less likely to get it then my sister. in which i just have realtime on.

I personally always been a fan of AVG i used the free edition for ages works great but I have brought AVG Antivirus, AVG PC Tuneup and AVG Driver updater.