Innovative watercooling!? :D

I'd like to start a very exciting project: Lowest-budged- highest-efficiency- cooling-a-pc-with-my-houses-drinking-water-loop...!

I was thinking about milling the waterblocks made of copper (or stainless steel if there was any problem with corrosive stuff) with a CNC mill and connecting everything either with copper or with rubber tubes to my hous' drinking water loop. I've got my own freshwater spring so there are no costs for the water. Maybe I could also store the "used" water in a hot water tank so that after a long night of extensive gaming I can have a nice warm shower the next day. xD

Just wanted to know your thoughts about my plan.

Sounds like a cool plan, but I hope you don't waste all of the water :P

-SNIP-

This will be an interesting thing to see, only thing that worries me is calcium or hard water build up since your water is from a natural spring not to mention the possibility of microbes or algae growing within the loop even if it's just a flow through instead of a closed loop.

sounds like a pretty cool project! 

tough if it is spring water you're using, you might want to let it run though a few filters before letting it run through your pc. nobody wants a clogged GPU block! :P

I'd like to start a very exciting project: Lowest-budged- highest-efficiency- cooling-a-pc-with-my-houses-drinking-water-loop...!

I was thinking about milling the waterblocks made of copper (or stainless steel if there was any problem with corrosive stuff) with a CNC mill and connecting everything either with copper or with rubber tubes to my hous' drinking water loop. I've got my own freshwater spring so there are no costs for the water. Maybe I could also store the "used" water in a hot water tank so that after a long night of extensive gaming I can have a nice warm shower the next day. xD

That actually sounds like a fun plan, keep us updated! :D But I highly doubt you can heat up that water enough if it only runs by one time (and also the springs that I know of are cold as fuck).

Sounds like a cool plan, but I hope you don't waste all of the water :P

If it is a real freshwater spring and not just a well he isn't waisting anything since the water will flow no mater what he is doing. ;)

Instead of the drinking water running through the loop, have it as a closed system, but just have an exchange of heat between the closed loop and the drinking water.

Kind of like building a custom loop and then dumping the rad in a bucket of water. 

Drinking water running through a loop just seems like a bad idea, but if you had the drinking water in contact with the rads, that would be an excellent way of keeping the loop cool and junk free.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

You should not hook it up to your house's piping because the mix of waterblock and tubing metals will cause corrosion

Connect the tubing directly to the water spring

Preferably non-copper tubing to prevent oxidization

PVC or other palstic water pipes will be fine

Also you will need to put some BIO filters like linus did on whole room water cooling

There is a ton of organisms in natural water that will corrode and turn your waterblocks green and black

Linus used a UV fish tank filter plus some regular carbon filter or something

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This will be an interesting thing to see, only thing that worries me is calcium or hard water build up since your water is from a natural spring not to mention the possibility of microbes or algae growing within the loop even if it's just a flow through instead of a closed loop.

Our spring water is very soft with only few minerals, I don't think that would be the problem. Maybe the microbes could get a pain in the ass so I either have to clean the whole thing every once in awhile or I'm gonna use some filters. 

I'm looking forward on how it's going to develop :D

Seems fun, but in hind site buy gallons on gallons of pt nuke :)

You should not hook it up to your house's piping because the mix of waterblock and tubing metals will cause corrosion

Connect the tubing directly to the water spring

Preferably non-copper tubing to prevent oxidization

PVC or other palstic water pipes will be fine

Also you will need to put some BIO filters like linus did on whole room water cooling

There is a ton of organisms in natural water that will corrode and turn your waterblocks green and black

Linus used a UV fish tank filter plus some regular carbon filter or something

As I said, I could also make the waterblocks from stainless steel so there would be no need of worring about corrosion.

And aren't most drinkingwater pipes made of copper? O.o

Seems fun, but in hind site buy gallons on gallons of pt nuke :)

Sorry that I have to ask, but what does the underlined part mean?  :lol:

Our spring water is very soft with only few minerals, I don't think that would be the problem. Maybe the microbes could get a pain in the ass so I either have to clean the whole thing every one in awhile or I'm gonna use some filters. 

I'm looking forward on how it's going to develop :D

As I said, I could also make the waterblocks from stainless steel so there would be no need of worring about corrosion.

And aren't most drinkingwater tubing made of copper? O.o

I'd add a UV sterilizer and some progressively finer and finer filters inline before it goes to to PC. 

As for pipes most are copper or PVC/PET theses days but it depends what your area uses some places still use some lead or steel pipes in the distribution system which aren't the best things to use for obvious reasons and should probably be switching out.

And aren't most drinkingwater pipes made of copper? O.o

Not sure about your house, by mine uses some sort of plastic or PVC tubing...

Copper would loose a lot of heat, and also make the water taste like copper

Pretty sure only old houses use copper tubing, newer buildings use artificial materials

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As for pipes most are copper or PVC theses days but it depends what your area uses some places still use some lead or steel pipes in the distribution system which aren't the best things to use for obvious reasons and should probably be switching out.

I am pretty sure that our pipes are all copper and PVC.

sounds like you will end up running your well dry if there is a drought

I am not intending to let the water run all day. A simple lever should be enought to solve that. Additionally I live on a farm and our water never went out even when the over 100 pigs are very thursty in the hot summermonths :P

• 7 months later...

20160223_134255.thumb.jpg.0c2ab9f0a8a8bc

Finally...

I've started with the project - or better - am already almost finished with it! :)

I think I'm gonna open a new thread to this topic anyway because this one is quiet old. 

However, I got away from my first plan of linking the waterblocks to my freshwaterloop - and simply built a god damn radiator myself :D

More stuff comming soon, but for the meantime I got this Inventor CADd copper waterblock... I think it looks pretty good, you to? 

Take care and see you soon maybe! :)

57 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

-SNIP-

That's pretty slick looking, you may want to consider a jetplate or baffle like most blocks to direct the water through the fins instead of potentially flowing above. Are you getting this machined out or doing this all yourself? 

27 minutes ago, W-L said:

That's pretty slick looking, you may want to consider a jetplate or baffle like most blocks to direct the water through the fins instead of potentially flowing above. Are you getting this machined out or doing this all yourself? 

The fins almost touch the acrylic so the water will flow between them. 

And yes, I'm doing this all by myself with an industrial CNC mill.

37 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

The fins almost touch the acrylic so the water will flow between them. 

And yes, I'm doing this all by myself with an industrial CNC mill.

That sounds awesome, any chance of seeing the machine in action :) 

Just now, W-L said:

That sounds awesome, any chance of seeing the machine in action :) 

Sure! I'm planning to start milling next week, then I will definitely do a full review of my project and bring in some up-to-date impressions! :)

Will you be running the house water through the PC loop? Like I said before, I would suggest two separate loops. One for the PC which will be in its own closed environment with some sort of heat exchange like a single rad, then a second loop which runs water through the rad. It'll make maintenance easier and keep your loop cleaner. You will have to purchase a coolant for the PC loop such as distilled water with all of the necessary additives, but it'll lead to a cleaner, better cooled system.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

20 hours ago, TheCaptain53 said:

Will you be running the house water through the PC loop?

On 24.2.2016 at 7:26 AM, BlackXbonE said:

However, I got away from my first plan of linking the waterblocks to my freshwaterloop - and simply built a god damn radiator myself :D