30 fps console vs 30 fps pc

Thelillypad123

This is something that has always had me curious. So obviously the graphics are much superior on PC, let's get that straight. But I have noticed that if I were to cap my frame rate on PC at 30 fps, it would look a hell of a lot choppier than 30 fps on a console version of that game. Is this because of motion blur uses on console and other foolery? I don't think I'm crazy because I can definitely tell the difference between 30, 60, 120, and 144 fps. But to me 30 fps on PC is atrocious while on console it is much more palatable. Can anyone give me a real explanation and does anyone agree?

i do agree with you and i have absolutely no idea as why this is like that...30FPS on playstation is not the same as 30FPS on my desktop PC, 30FPS on console is playable but on PC it feels like 10FPS to me.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Try plugging your console to the same monitor you play PC on.

If you're using TV, then that does some really f*'upped shiee with images and postprocessing.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

This is basically TV vs Monitor (if you are using a TV to play console)

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I think its just that you're used to 60 fps on your pc, and what you cap it to 30 you can see the lag and stutter a lot easier, but on a console your mind has no reference point, and thus it doesn't look as bad  at 30 fps. id be interested to see a side by side console vs pc at 30 fps though.

Pre-note: This is all impliances:

Case for PC: These games were designed to run at higher FPS, and all the GPUs are usually different from eachother, so games don't run well at low FPS, and sometimes, with some GPUs, the game doesn't run as well as on other GPUs.

Case for consoles: These games were designed to run on 1 GPU at a certain FPS which that GPU could handle, so these games are a lot more consistent because of their very narrow GPU audience. 

I think its just that you're used to 60 fps on your pc, and what you cap it to 30 you can see the lag and stutter a lot easier, but on a console your mind has no reference point, and thus it doesn't look as bad at 30 fps. id be interested to see a side by side console vs pc at 30 fps though.

It would be a very interesting topic for Linus to cover in a video IMO.

Motion blur on TVs...

That's because when you lock your PFS, they go a bit lower than what you locked them at. For ex, when I put the limit at 30FPS, even if I can get 60 Stable with no limit, it will drop to 27-8 if you limit them.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

wut? have none of you gamed on a tv? do it all the time. the big reason its not noticeble is because v-sync. and you dont feel the v-sync as much because of the controller. turn your pc v-sync on, and use a controller, and it feels just as smooth.

Try plugging your console to the same monitor you play PC on.

If you're using TV, then that does some really f*'upped shiee with images and postprocessing.

doesnt help

32" Samsung 1080p 3D TV

30 FPS Final Fantasy 13 on PC looks shit

30 FPS Final Fantasy 13 on PS3 (yes, even that old) looks brilliant...

Dunno why, but there is probably some image-enhancement or buffer system used with the consoles to make it look smoother. I mean, if everyone has a default 10-15 frame buffer, then nobody will know cuz everyone has the same basic lag.

I believe it's not about frames per second but frame time. The 30 fps you have on consoles is smoother mainly because the frames are displayed at a consistent pace whereas on PC frame times can vary wildly. I believe Durante or someone else in the modding community explained this when Witcher 3 released on PCgamer. have to find the article but don't have the time atm :/

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

But I have noticed that if I were to cap my frame rate on PC

Just use vsync

A simple framecap causes stuttering and tearing.

This is basically TV vs Monitor (if you are using a TV to play console)

I played my XBox 360 on a 1080p monitor and it looked fine. I think it's just a combination of vsync to 30 fps combined with lots of motion blur that makes games playable on consoles at 30 fps.

I played my XBox 360 on a 1080p monitor and it looked fine. I think it's just a combination of vsync to 30 fps combined with lots of motion blur that makes games playable on consoles at 30 fps.

indeed, i just tried with GTA 5 i set Vsync to ''half'' therefore it's 30FPS and with a gamepad it's actualy not that bad...add motion blur caused by slow shit ass tv's that we play consoles on and we have the answer i think.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

indeed, i just tried with GTA 5 i set Vsync to ''half'' therefore it's 30FPS and with a gamepad it's actualy not that bad...add motion blur caused by slow shit ass tv's that we play consoles on and we have the answer i think.

Made the PC version playable at 30 fps?

add motion blur caused by slow shit ass tv's that we play consoles on and we have the answer i think.

TVs aren't slow shit anymore.

Made the PC version playable at 30 fps?

yes, but not nearly as enjoyable...i would play it at that speed if i had to...in fact i did played through that game on PS3 when it first launched so... :)

Console games run at a locked framerate but if your PC is running a game at 30 fps chances are that it will dip and go under 30 quite often.

Hmmm. that's true. Totally agree, i don't know why though.

PC can dip under 30 so it stutters

I believe it's not about frames per second but frame time. The 30 fps you have on consoles is smoother mainly because the frames are displayed at a consistent pace whereas on PC frame times can vary wildly. I believe Durante or someone else in the modding community explained this when Witcher 3 released on PCgamer. have to find the article but don't have the time atm :/

I had figured it was more to do with even/less variance in frametimes, and would certainly seem like this is the case.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I had figured it was more to do with even/less variance in frametimes, and would certainly seem like this is the case.

That's what the modders who fix broken games usually say so I'm inclined to believe it.

I encourage you to look for the PCgamer article that explains the Witcher 3's performance and read about it there as explained by the people who know a lot more than me :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6