Can I start from Witcher 3?

Tim Drake
Go to solution Solved by Scionyde,

When during Witcher 2 and what are the books called?

The events of the games take place after the books, but I wouldn't let that stop you. I mean, there are certain things in the games that could act as spoilers, but I personally didn't find that a huge problem. (I've read the translated books after playing Witcher 2)

Books in order of events that take place within:

The Last Wish (collection of short stories)

Sword of Destiny (collection of short stories)

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

The Swallow's Tower (not officially translated to English yet)

Lady of the Lake (not officially translated to English yet)

Here's a summary of the first game, made by CDPR. It's a really odd art style, one that gets used during a handful of 'summary cutscenes' in Witcher 2, but don't let it put you off. Luckily, they changed that kind of art style in TW3.

How much would I be missing out on if I started from Witcher 3?

I hate playing older games that have many features that need perfected in it's sequels. I can start from Witcher 2 max but i'm a huge graphics buff so I can't start from 1.

Is it essential that I start from 2 or will i only miss a bit if I got witcher 3?

You can just jump right into Witcher 3 in my experience haha :D

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

I would rather have people talk to me than a random video I have no clue what it is

he talks about the witcher 1 and 2, if they are worth playing before the third one, and if you should read the books before playing the witcher 3

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Any major points where you were confused?

Nah not really. You'd be better off reading the books for story than playing Witcher 2 from what I've heard about that game

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

he talks about the witcher 1 and 2, if they are worth playing before the third one, and if you should read the books before playing the witcher 3

Nah not really. You'd be better off reading the books for story than playing Witcher 2 from what I've heard about that game

Would it be essential to read the books?

Not that bothered on reading anymore

Would it be essential to read the books?

Not that bothered on reading anymore

if you care about the plot

or 

if you like small european folk lores

if you care about the plot

or 

if you like small european folk lores

I kind of care about the plot but I don't know if I care enough to go read a whole books that I might not even like.

Take it from someone who played the third one blind.

Watch the 5 hour movie version of Witcher 2 so you are not completely lost as to what happened and who is who. It's actually quite entertaining and saves you the time playing it. It's somewhere on youtube.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I kind of care about the plot but I don't know if I care enough to go read a whole books that I might not even like.

you can always listen to the audio books

Yes, but a lot of the backstory of personal characters and information may be completely lost. I'd really suggest playing the witcher 2 first, then going to the witcher 3, but you should be fine if you just wanna do the witcher 3, you eventually pickup on the backstory.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Take it from someone who played the third one blind.

Watch the 5 hour movie version of Witcher 2 so you are not completely lost as to what happened and who is who. It's actually quite entertaining and saves you the time playing it. It's somewhere on youtube.

But isn't that JUST cutscenes?

But isn't that JUST cutscenes?

It's 5 hours of JUST cutscenes and the important story parts. Trust me, it's worth the time as it will prove invaluable when you make up your mind as to who to kill and not in the last one.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's 5 hours of JUST cutscenes and the important story parts. Trust me, it's worth the time as it will prove invaluable when you make up your mind as to who to kill and not in the last one.

Hmmmmmm... Idk if I like JUST cutscenes because even then you still miss shitloads.

Hmmmmmm... Idk if I like JUST cutscenes because even then you still miss shitloads.

Trust me, it makes sense. I spent a whole night watching it on release week :D

I started on the third.  Doesn't seem the story picks up from the first or second, but more-so the story starts during the tutorial.

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

I started on the third.  Doesn't seem the story picks up from the first or second, but more-so the story starts during the tutorial.

How far in are you? Did you simulate the Witcher 2 save?

How far in are you? Did you simulate the Witcher 2 save?

no i did not. and im not sure how far? Probably at least 10-20 hours of gameplay, but only level 10.  taking my time exploring, playing gwent, trading, and doing side missions.

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

no i did not. and im not sure how far? Probably at least 10-20 hours of gameplay, but only level 10.  taking my time exploring, playing gwent, trading, and doing side missions.

Witcher 3 will be played soon.

What kind of settings would you recommend for my 980 and is there any tweaks I can do to make it look better?

Witcher 3 will be played soon.

What kind of settings would you recommend for my 980 and is there any tweaks I can do to make it look better?

Ultra settings with hairworks off for the buttery smooth 60 fps experience.

You can start from Witcher 3 but there may be a lot of things you wont understand. Those will most likely wont be important things but you will miss on some experience.

Also you probably wont care about some characters because you dont really know them but they are in fact really good characters but for that you would need to read some books to get good backstory of them. It is not required however. There is journal in the game that covers that somewhat but its not like the adventure you get with them in books.

After new patch 1.07 you can run Hairworks no problem on your GTX 980. They added more settings to it so you can lower the quality of it somewhat. I can run Hairworks now even on my GTX 770 which I was totaly unable to do so before (on low/mid hairwoks settings without AA which looks like shit though).

You can start from Witcher 3 but there may be a lot of things you wont understand. Those will most likely wont be important things but you will miss on some experience.

Also you probably wont care about some characters because you dont really know them but they are in fact really good characters but for that you would need to read some books to get good backstory of them. It is not required however. There is journal in the game that covers that somewhat but its not like the adventure you get with them in books.

After new patch 1.07 you can run Hairworks no problem on your GTX 980. They added more settings to it so you can lower the quality of it somewhat. I can run Hairworks now even on my GTX 770 which I was totaly unable to do so before (on low/mid hairwoks settings without AA which looks like shit though).

Is there any mods that make Witcher 1 looks better like there was for Mass Effect?

If so I would play from 1 to 3.