Can I start from Witcher 3?

Tim Drake
Go to solution Solved by Scionyde,

When during Witcher 2 and what are the books called?

The events of the games take place after the books, but I wouldn't let that stop you. I mean, there are certain things in the games that could act as spoilers, but I personally didn't find that a huge problem. (I've read the translated books after playing Witcher 2)

Books in order of events that take place within:

The Last Wish (collection of short stories)

Sword of Destiny (collection of short stories)

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

The Swallow's Tower (not officially translated to English yet)

Lady of the Lake (not officially translated to English yet)

Here's a summary of the first game, made by CDPR. It's a really odd art style, one that gets used during a handful of 'summary cutscenes' in Witcher 2, but don't let it put you off. Luckily, they changed that kind of art style in TW3.

Is there any mods that make Witcher 1 looks better like there was for Mass Effect?

If so I would play from 1 to 3.

Not any I know of. But that is hardly the problem of Witcher 1. The main problem of it is the stupidly dull gameplay. I managed to complete the game in about 50 hours but gameplay was torture. The story was what kept me going further. I recommend watching Lets Play for Witcher 1 and play Witcher 2 and 3.

Not any I know of. But that is hardly the problem of Witcher 1. The main problem of it is the stupidly dull gameplay. I managed to complete the game in about 50 hours but gameplay was torture. The story was what kept me going further. I recommend watching Lets Play for Witcher 1 and play Witcher 2 and 3.

Okay I think I will just play from 2 lol

i think cd red realized that people new to the witcher series will probably start with witcher 3 first. that's why they provided a nice glossary of every significant character you meet. especially for characters who were present in witcher 2 like Roche or Triss. but the entries don't cover everything - it's just a summary of what happened. and since you didn't play witcher 2 it doesn't mention actions that only you would have chosen if you played witcher 2. sounds problematic but honestly it isn't a huge deal since it's a whole different problem that's being unfolded in witcher 3. 

but if want the full experience i would play all three. but if you want only the relevance of witcher 3 then playing witcher 2 is sufficient enough, and maybe read up on what happened in witcher 1 so you can get an idea of the events in witcher 2. 

Okay I think I will just play from 2 lol

Witcher 2 starts exaclty where Witcher 1 ends so I at least recommend you to read some summary of Witcher 1 or watch some summary on Youtube.

i think cd red realized that people new to the witcher series will probably start with witcher 3 first. that's why they provided a nice glossary of every significant character you meet. especially for characters who were present in witcher 2 like Roche or Triss. but the entries don't cover everything - it's just a summary of what happened. and since you didn't play witcher 2 it doesn't mention actions that only you would have chosen if you played witcher 2. sounds problematic but honestly it isn't a huge deal since it's a whole different problem that's being unfolded in witcher 3. 

but if want the full experience i would play all three. but if you want only the relevance of witcher 3 then playing witcher 2 is sufficient enough. 

Yea they did a good job but they simply cant cover everything. I think the main problem of Witcher 3 is that it is focused on looking Ciri but she was never really mentioned in previous games so people dont know why they should care about her when in fact she is basicaly second main character in books.

but if want the full experience i would play all three. but if you want only the relevance of witcher 3 then playing witcher 2 is sufficient enough, and maybe read up on what happened in witcher 1 so you can get an idea of the events in witcher 2. 

Witcher 2 starts exaclty where Witcher 1 ends so I at least recommend you to read some summary of Witcher 1 or watch some summary on Youtube.

Witcher 2 with a summary of Witcher 1, thanks guys :D

Witcher 3 will be played soon.

What kind of settings would you recommend for my 980 and is there any tweaks I can do to make it look better?

I've got a 970 and run on mostly high/ultra at 1080p.  So if you are at 1080p id say ultra.

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

Playing from the second one is probably the best thing, the mechanics is acceptable and you get to carry over some choices to the third game that normally would just be decided through dialogue.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

I went straight into W3 and although I feel that some things might be missing for me story-wise, it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

I have a 980 (21:9 1440) with everything on ultra (Hairworks off though, I honestly don't think it looks very good) so you should be fine in that respect.

I've read the books and played Witcher 1 and 2. Currently playing Witcher 3. As you said, it is best to watch a Witcher 1 summary (you're not losing much not playing it) and start with 2. Afterwards, get a save from Nexusmods. It's not too complicated, only two decisions from the first game are imported.

I'd still recommend you to read the books while playing Witcher 2. They're not too long, and the first two are short stories, so there are just 5 books. Try your local library network, they might have them. Imho, you'll be missing out on a lot of backstory, especially in Witcher 3.

If you're really confused by the story, read the books.  The first two games attempt to distance themselves from the novels by having the main character suffer from amnesia.  However, the Witcher 3 is different and relies a lot on the original story.  That being said, you can get away with just playing the game, but you may not feel as attached to some characters.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

How much would I be missing out on if I started from Witcher 3?

I hate playing older games that have many features that need perfected in it's sequels. I can start from Witcher 2 max but i'm a huge graphics buff so I can't start from 1.

Is it essential that I start from 2 or will i only miss a bit if I got witcher 3?

i also the same with u. i decided to start playing this game from the 3rd. and.... yea... it's sure not for me i think, i get bored now. lol.

i plan to stop playing this game after i have a proper replacement.

You can skip Witcher 1 for sure. Witcher 3 is built so even new players can enjoy it, but if you want the super full experience I recommend playing W2 (also a great game), and reading books.

I've read the books and played Witcher 1 and 2. Currently playing Witcher 3. As you said, it is best to watch a Witcher 1 summary (you're not losing much not playing it) and start with 2. Afterwards, get a save from Nexusmods. It's not too complicated, only two decisions from the first game are imported.

I'd still recommend you to read the books while playing Witcher 2. They're not too long, and the first two are short stories, so there are just 5 books. Try your local library network, they might have them. Imho, you'll be missing out on a lot of backstory, especially in Witcher 3.

The events of the games take place after the books, but I wouldn't let that stop you. I mean, there are certain things in the games that could act as spoilers, but I personally didn't find that a huge problem. (I've read the translated books after playing Witcher 2)

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

Here's a summary of the first game, made by CDPR. It's a really odd art style, one that gets used during a handful of 'summary cutscenes' in Witcher 2, but don't let it put you off. Luckily, they changed that kind of art style in TW3.

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

There is also 8th book

The Storm Season

I liked it a lot. It is more like books 1 and 2 as it is focused on Geralt but entire book is just one story.

There is also 8th book

The Storm Season

I liked it a lot. It is more like books 1 and 2 as it is focused on Geralt but entire book is just one story.

Oh Jesus Christ.

42092425.jpg

Oh Jesus Christ.

Heh. Well, just start with The Last Wish. It's translated from Polish, so it might not be your cup of tea. But I would recommend giving The Last Wish a fair try, at least through the short story 'The Lesser Evil' which IMO is the best one (I'm sure others might disagree with me though :P ). 

Also, if it helps, there are audiobooks for most of the officially translated books. I don't read much either, but I have a daily half hour commute to work, and I actually "read" the first few Witcher books through audiobook instead of print.

Heh. Well, just start with The Last Wish. It's translated from Polish, so it might not be your cup of tea. But I would recommend giving The Last Wish a fair try, at least through the short story 'The Lesser Evil' which IMO is the best one (I'm sure others might disagree with me though :P ). 

Also, if it helps, there are audiobooks for most of the officially translated books. I don't read much earlier, but I have a half hour commute to work, and I actually "read" the first few Witcher books through audiobook.

I can't concentrate on reading and I can't concentrate on audio books.

Fml

From playing Witcher 2 for 20 minutes, I so far have not enjoyed a single bit.

Neither the story or the gameplay..

Might just skip to Witcher 3 and not care about the story and see if that works.

-snip-

I'm going a little off-topic here, but... really? Swallow's Tower and Lady of the Lake haven't been translated to English yet? That's surprising. They've been available in Spanish for quite a while.

From playing Witcher 2 for 20 minutes, I so far have not enjoyed a single bit.

Neither the story or the gameplay..

Might just skip to Witcher 3 and not care about the story and see if that works.

The first 20 minutes of Witcher 2 are just the prologue. Things start to get interesting on Act 2. Give it a few more hours. It's an RPG, after all.

I'm going a little off-topic here, but... really? Swallow's Tower and Lady of the Lake haven't been translated to English yet? That's surprising. They've been available in Spanish for quite a while.

The first 20 minutes of Witcher 2 are just the prologue. Things start to get interesting on Act 2. Give it a few more hours. It's an RPG, after all.

Still the gameplay seems repetitive and annoying and i'm already confused as to what's going on in the prologue.

For those who want to get the books, the author is Andrzej Sapkowski. Saved you a couple of clicks.  ;)

I was looking for something new to read, thanks for posting the titles!

Still the gameplay seems repetitive and annoying and i'm already confused as to what's going on in the prologue.

You are in prison accused of killing King Foltest and you are telling your story to the commander about what exactly happened while you were helping Foltest to conquer La Valetes castle.

Witcher 1 ended by you saving Foltests life by killing his assassin and in prologue of Witcher 2 he keeps you as his protection until he conquers the castle but things will go wrong.