TotalBiscuit's Framerate Police

Majestic

hes says its been ok/they can get away with it for a few games in a few circumstances.

But part of the charm of SP is the animation and the fact its indistinguishable from the TV show..and 60 fps would of ruined that so yes it absolutely gets a pass for it, and being its the type of game that it is the 60fps isnt vital to the gameplay.

its the same deal with LA Noire it simply does not function correctly otherwise. and its not a case of the game logic being tied to fps like other examples.

Not for me, the stick of truth at 60 was better than at 30. I really don't understand the argument that at a higher framerate than the show it would look worse or different. It looks 100% the same to me, but instead of seeing the background stutter as I move its smooth scrolling.

Same goes for 120fps looks smother than 60. The only difference I see between 60 and 120 is clarity in motion, no increased smoothness.

hes says its been ok/they can get away with it for a few games in a few circumstances.

its the same deal with LA Noire it simply does not function correctly otherwise. and its not a case of the game logic being tied to fps like other examples.

One of the main problems with LA Noire is game code tied to the frame rate, also the games mo cap was captured at 30hz and they didn't want to interpolate for higher frame rates

But part of the charm of SP is the animation and the fact its indistinguishable from the TV show..and 60 fps would of ruined that so yes it absolutely gets a pass for it, and being its the type of game that it is the 60fps isnt vital to the gameplay.

The thing that annoys me with this argument is he turns around and says that framerate is not an aesthetic choice when it comes to the like of Order 1886 and other Cinematic games. You can't say one game is bad for it and another its okay when they are both attempting the same thing.

I hold the belief that they could have animated characters in 30FPS and the rest of the game at 60 if they put the effort in.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It's odd to see some amazing games on the shit list like "Baldur's Gate II" like yeah, why would you expect a turn based RPG game from 2001 to be 60 fps, the game barely supports modern resolutions and not gracefully. 

But I actually do like the concept, I just feel that some games were framerate truly isn't relevant might get caught in the cross fire.

-------

Current Rig

-------

this always been a problem for PC

for example GTA III

my first rig to run that game is old Athlon 1700+ with geforce 2 mx

as expected it runs at 30fps sometimes lower

but when I finally upgrades with better hardware, it still running like crap making my decision to upgrades feels unnecesarry

I don't even play any console port games at that time because I have consoles if I want to play it on consoles.

like seriously, I use i3+ HD 6670 to play games at 30-50fps at most, I get it... I have lower performance rig.

but if that also happen when someone use i5/i7 + GTX 980 / Titan / Fury / any powerful card and getting same performance that is just so dumb, I have no reason to upgrades (if that purpose only to get more performance with games)

Rockstar has a decades long list of being utter shit when it comes to the PC ports. After they started going to consoles from the get go they turned the backs on their PC gaming roots and it's no turning back. Even GTA V that gets some praise it's still imho kind of shit because of stupid fucking console oriented decisions like using the same exe for online and offline and using p2p for multiplayer making the damn thing unplayable online and unmoddable unless you turn off automatic updates and basically crack your legit copy of the game to never update. Quite a fucking far cry from the minimum we should expect from a PC port, even if it performs ok otherwise.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I actually never realized this until now, but 30fps is truly horriblr. I attempted to play AC4 today on my Xbox since it came with LIVE this month, and its unbearable playing it. 900p @ 30 gave me a headache and made me borderline sick.

I'm glad he's doing it.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

So.. I'm not much of a gamer in the PC/console sense, but the first time I bought a RAZER mouse instead of a cheap $5-$10 mouse, I could tell the difference. Last year I blew a wad on a new computer including a mechanical keyboard - and using the mechanical keyboard, I could tell the difference. In both cases the devices just felt more responsive and functioned smoother. I'm sure that if you've been gaming at 30fps for a while and suddenly get yourself to 60, it won't take long to notice the difference, and when you have to "downshift" to 30 again, you'll be able to tell.

So.. I'm not much of a gamer in the PC/console sense, but the first time I bought a RAZER mouse instead of a cheap $5-$10 mouse, I could tell the difference. Last year I blew a wad on a new computer including a mechanical keyboard - and using the mechanical keyboard, I could tell the difference. In both cases the devices just felt more responsive and functioned smoother. I'm sure that if you've been gaming at 30fps for a while and suddenly get yourself to 60, it won't take long to notice the difference, and when you have to "downshift" to 30 again, you'll be able to tell.

First time using 120hz (Triple screen gaming) a year ago, Going nuts in Titanfall and BF4, loving the response for my twitch shooting wrist actions :) Felt like the mouse movement was gliding over ice, smooth and fast, my eyes loved it!

Was only there for about 7 hours, a HUGE difference when I got back to the 'norm' 60hz panel I have.

So yeah...take your 30fps limits and screw off!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It's odd to see some amazing games on the shit list like "Baldur's Gate II" like yeah, why would you expect a turn based RPG game from 2001 to be 60 fps, the game barely supports modern resolutions and not gracefully. 

But I actually do like the concept, I just feel that some games were framerate truly isn't relevant might get caught in the cross fire.

it's not a shit list, it should not be used that way. it is just a curator list cause steam missing a crucial objective information. it's something that should be included in the information list along with info that is already being displayed like dev name, publisher name, release date. IMO it should even list things like whether or not it has 30 fps lock, colourblind option, compatibility with modern os's. 30fps is not necessarily a bad thing in things like 2d sprite based games and such.

I don't get it... i really don't... almost all 30 FPS games call for a controller...

And no i don't believe half the shit people use as an excuse, i guess movies should be 60FPS then?

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

I don't get it... i really don't... almost all 30 FPS games call for a controller...

And no i don't believe half the shit people use as an excuse, i guess movies should be 60FPS then?

That would actually make me so god damn happy! After using SVP for quite a while and seeing the hobbit at 48fps yes, I do believe movies should go to 48fps or 60. And before you go on about motion blur and all matters of cinematography things, 24fps media is quite stuttery.

I would also point out that TotalBiscuit also makes a note of if he's aware of any ways to release the 30fps restriction, whether it's editing an INI file, a setting elsewhere, a third-party product, or something else. He's actually discussed what it's used for on his Youtube video ( 

) so I recommend watching that for more information.