Breaking OEM Licence agreements VS Pirating.

Before I start, this is not condoning any "illegal" activity, but rather is a discussion on the morals/convictions of most of us. 

Fact: Pirating Windows (any version) Is Illegal. 

Little-Known Fact: Using an OEM copy of Windows 7, 8.1 for personal use BREAKS the licence agreement (AKA, Microsoft says you are not allowed to do this). 

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=cX5QwTqvweG

Fact: Using an OEM key from one system, and using it on another BREAKS Licence agreement. (Aka, you are stealing). 

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=cX5QwTqvweG?hashlink=faq3

I have yet to find exact details on windows 10. But likely, the terms will be similar. Your current OEM key, which is licenced to your current motherboard, will likely result in an upgrade path to your windows 10 OEM key, which will essentially be linked to the original key's motherboard. Meaning, you must use windows 10 on the computer your copy of windows 7 OEM or 8.1OEM was installed on, or you are breaking licence agreement. 

Thoughts? Do you care? Is this news to you?

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Buying used games gives devs no money. Just like pirating.

But no one cares to look at fine details.  

They just like feeling like they are morally superior to others. 

As long as they have a key, even an MSDN one sold though G2A (illegally), they feel they did the right thing. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

But... I'm using a pirated Windows 7 ISO and Dell OEM product key... Lol

Fact: Using an OEM key from one system, and using it on another BREAKS Licence agreement. (Aka, you are stealing). 

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=cX5QwTqvweG?hashlink=faq3

Weird, I called Microsoft and told them I bought a new computer and wanted to use my old OEM license and they were very helpful.

Weird, I called Microsoft and told them I bought a new computer and wanted to use my old OEM license and they were very helpful.

This is also a good point. 

I have, many times, called and essentially admitted that I was breaking their licensing agreement (unknowingly), and they had no problems helping me. Moving one copy of windows 7 between multiple systems after rebuilds and upgrades etc, and calling to say 'Yes, I built myself a new computer and I need to install on another". 

However, to be honest, many times the only question you actually get, is, "how many computers do you have this installed on". 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Here are my thoughts:

• I hate Microsoft
  • Microsofts rules are bogus
  • I do what I want M8
  • Linux is far superior when compared to Microsoft Windows, especially that abomination called Windows 8.

But I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't enforce this rule, so I'm not worried about it.

If the key transfer procedure is done properly, you're not breaking anything...

also tying a license to the machine is broken per-se in the fact that the person owns the hardware and the rights to use the software on one machine...

hence it would be more logical to tie the license to the person and one machine in the person's possession...

to break this is to use one license for two machines without deactivating the other... a process which can be shortened by tying the license to the person...

enterprise editions are exemptions to this rule...