PSU ranking and tiers

Aniallation

i'd get the nzxt source 210

Meh, I don't like Thermaltake as a company so I might go for something else. NZXT and Fractal have good cheap options.

i'd get the nzxt source 210

Yeah i was feeling a bit dirty for looking at thermaltake stuff, though i liked the aesthetic of it....i did feel dirty.

i'm just wanting maybe a decent case around the 30 pound mark that i can maybe mod in future with some plasti dip, have a side window on it, and have it look pretty balling awesome.

source 210 seems to be the darling of budget cases. though i do like the look of the Bitfenix Neos too.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Yeah i was feeling a bit dirty for looking at thermaltake stuff, though i liked the aesthetic of it....i did feel dirty.

i'm just wanting maybe a decent case around the 30 pound mark that i can maybe mod in future with some plasti dip, have a side window on it, and have it look pretty balling awesome.

source 210 seems to be the darling of budget cases. though i do like the look of the Bitfenix Neos too.

Eh, from what I know that BitFenix isn't that good. I think the 210 is really your best bet.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hello there!

Just a quick question, is the EVGA SuperNova NEX 750W considered to be the "EVGA - NEX-G (G1)" under your Tier 4 (meh) category?

Tier 4

---

EVGA - 430/500 W1, 500/600 B, NEX-B (B1), NEX-G (G1)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10750xr

yes it is

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

would a TS 430W be any better than a proseries 450w?

The TS 430 appears to be a bit of an average performer with strong Seasonic build quality. Looks like the Proseries is a bit better.

TS (Bronze) and ProSeries are practically the same.

"Rawr XD"

Hello there!

Just a quick question, is the EVGA SuperNova NEX 750W considered to be the "EVGA - NEX-G (G1)" under your Tier 4 (meh) category?Tier 4

---

EVGA - 430/500 W1, 500/600 B, NEX-B (B1), NEX-G (G1)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10750xr

Yes the NEX 750W is meh

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I feel like the CX series deserve a seperate rank - one called "No, just no" :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I feel like the CX series deserve a seperate rank - one called "No, just no" :D

no just no is a tier 5 and the cx are tier 4 imo

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

no just no is a tier 5 and the cx are tier 4 imo

They are one of a kind :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

They are one of a kind :D

than they should be in tier 4.20blazeit :P

Spoiler

than they should be in tier 4.20blazeit :P

They should be in tier "All-in-one Barbecue"

They should be in tier "All-in-one Barbecue"

thats what the tier 5's should be in since they will roast your rig

Spoiler

thats what the tier 5's should be in since they will roast your rig

CX also do that from time to time.

CX also do that from time to time.

but they arent as bad as the tier 5's

Spoiler

but they arent as bad as the tier 5's

Eh - those at least work @ 30*C xD

Eh - those at least work @ 30*C xD

yeah but they will kill your system a lot quicker then the cx ones 

Spoiler

yeah but they will kill your system a lot quicker then the cx ones 

Depends - I'd probably get any other cheapo than the CX honestly.

Depends - I'd probably get any other cheapo than the CX honestly.

well from tier 4 yeah but tier 5 aka the ones to stay away from, no

Spoiler

is this psu good i cant find it on the list http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

Spoiler

is this psu good i cant find it on the list http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

XFX are SeaSonic rebrands usually

XFX are SeaSonic rebrands usually

i know that but i cant find it on the list so i dont know how good it is

Spoiler

Yeah that's a Seasonic Unit :), XFX is all seasonic rebrands it seems.

Actually what is the Proseries based off of? is it it's own platform or is it based on the S12ii?

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Personally, I don't like these type of list, as it's difficult to maintain as PSUs has many aspect to consider when determining it's overall quality. Because of that, many of them tend to have inaccuracy and inconsistencies.

I'm going to point out a few things, but I'm not really going to help with assigning what PSU should be (even I dislike the more "comprehensive" Tom's Tier list).

Seasonic G = Fractal Design Edison M, and yet the SS G = Tier 1, while FD EM plummeted to Tier 3 with the budget oriented units like the CX.

Lepa is Enermax sister company.  They are essentially low-cost Enermax units, in which the Lepa G1600 (listed as Tier 1) is based on the Enermax MaxRevo/Platimax platform (listed as tier 2).

The lower wattage Seasonic S/M12II-B 380-630w units (including the ones that are based off of them) or even the higher wattage units for that matter shouldn't be in the tier 2 list and above units like the EVGA Supernova 1000w G1 / FSP Aurum Pro.

You stated that the NZXT Hale90v2 is a rebrand Aurum Gold (which they are not, btw), and yet listed it at Tier 2, while the Aurum based units are in tier 4.

NZXT Hale82v2 (listed as Tier 3) is an High Power Element Smart just like the newer Rosewill Hive S (listed as Tier 4). The original Hive is based on the indy regulated B14C platform from High Power which is superior but is discontinued.

Fractal Newton R3 = ATNG ATM Platinum (listed as Tier 1), like the Rosewill Fortress (Tier 3).

There are multiples of different Basiq VP (listed as tier 4) and BP (listed as tier 3) from CWT, FSP, and Delta. For example, the VP550P is a very well-built budget unit from Delta while the BP430P is based on an older dated design that's inferior.

The Tesla R2 is both tier 2 and 4.

Be Quiet DPP10 850w is based on the original XP platform (AX760/860 is XP2 and Cooler Master V1200 is XP3)

There are more, but whatever.

Yeah that's a Seasonic Unit :), XFX is all seasonic rebrands it seems.

Actually what is the Proseries based off of? is it it's own platform or is it based on the S12ii?

Which ProSeries? As "ProSeries" was their previous name schemed that was pretty much associated with all of the line-up (before the name change to XTR, TS, XTS, etc).

Here's a list of which platform they are based off of. If there any new units I haven't listed that came out in the past few months, sorry. I haven't keep up with PSU or even tech for that matter for the last past 5-ish months.

Core Edition / ProSeries and TS (non-modular, bronze units)

450-550w : S12II-Bronze / GB (Group-regulation)

650-850w : SS-***AT (DC-DC regulation)

XXX Edition (semi-modular, bronze)

650-850w : SS-***AM (semi-modular version of the AT)

XXX Edition (semi-modular silver)

750-850w : M12D

ProSeries Black Edition (fully modular, gold units)

750-850w : KM3

1050-1250 : X 1050 / 1250 XM

TS (non modular, Gold)

550-850w : S12G

XTR

550-750 : G

850w : KM3

1050w : X 1050XM

XTS

460-520w : FL2

1000w: XP2

The lower wattage (under 600w) Core Edition / ProSeries / TS Bronze are based on the group-regulated S12II-B platform. It's a good quality budget unit.

snips dips and chicken strips

Guys we have another intelligent person to tag in PSU threads :D

Guys we have another intelligent person to tag in PSU threads :D

i'll most likely forget his name

Spoiler