why is amd so much cheaper than intel i can get 4 more cores for the same price

i looking at a new cpu for my build but then i found that amd has realy cheap prossesers but intel dont i can get double my cores

because double the number of cores does not mean you get double performance

also double frequency does not mean double performance

you really need to do some research

start by choosing how much you want to spend, then choose an intel CPU that fits that budget

unless youre trying to make a really cheap build with less than $100 for a CPU, intel will always be better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

because those double the amount of cores are WAY slower, run hotter, and are becoming horrendously outdated.

(new line of AMD cpus anyone?)

Higher cores does not = performance. AMD is behind on the game and most Intel processors can outperform AMD in most tasks despite having fewer cores.

Lord of Helium.

Core count is not the only thing that matters. The underlying architecture is also important. Intel's single threaded performance is significantly higher than AMD's and as such, Intel has more powerful cores than AMD. While Intel only offers quad cores on the consumer side, most games only utilize a maximum of 4 cores. In rendering, those extra cores/threads will come in handy though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

good becasue i got the intel

• CPU
    intel core 15-4460
  • Motherboard
    asrock b85m pro4
  • RAM
    8gb
  • GPU
    gtx 570
  • Case
    corsair
  • Storage
    intel 120gb ssd and 1 tb wd green
  • PSU
    corsair 500w
  • Display(s)
    hisence tv and grundig tv
  • Cooling
    stock
  • Keyboard
    imac
  • Mouse
    lenovo
  • Sound
    sony and logitec
  • Operating System
    windows 8.1

AMD is usually the budget option. A 4-core AMD CPU will typically not perform as well as a 4-core Intel CPU. Cores are not everything. More cores can be beneficial, but usually, having 4 extra cores usually means that the individual cores might not be as powerful, and typically in games only a couple cores are utilized, in which cases having an extra 4 cores wouldn't help you, whereas getting an intel quad core CPU would probably perform better.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Also, let's not forget that you not only get the added performance but a significantly better feature set: most AM3 boards are quite fucking old by now, you can have issues finding boards that have things like USB 3.0 headers and sata 3.0 and you can pretty much forget about modern things like esata, m.2 or usb 3.1

-------

Current Rig

-------

good becasue i got the intel

• CPU
    intel core 15-4460
  • Motherboard
    asrock b85m pro4
  • RAM
    8gb
  • GPU
    gtx 570
  • Case
    corsair
  • Storage
    intel 120gb ssd and 1 tb wd green
  • PSU
    corsair 500w
  • Display(s)
    hisence tv and grundig tv
  • Cooling
    stock
  • Keyboard
    imac
  • Mouse
    lenovo
  • Sound
    sony and logitec
  • Operating System
    windows 8.1

it probably wasn't a good idea asking this question after you already made the purchase... 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

i looking at a new cpu for my build but then i found that amd has realy cheap prossesers but intel dont i can get double my cores

not sure if youre trolling but on the off chance youre not core to core performance intel wipes the floor with amd a dual core cpu of intels can keep up pretty well with a quad core cpu from amd.

askdjfasdf

you can have issues finding boards that have things like USB 3.0 headers and sata 3.0 and you can pretty much forget about modern things like esata, m.2 or usb 3.1

Are you serious? The majority of 970 boards are using entirely SATA3 as are all 990 boards, its not that common for an AM3+ board still being sold not to have an internal USB 3 header and I've had two separate AM3+ boards with esata.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

AMD's processors are much weaker when it comes to single threaded tasks such as gaming, and their processors are also kinda old and shitty imo, 99% of the time now adays people should go with intel over amd.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I consider myself non biased, so, first, the chip arquitecture from AMD hasn't changed in quiet a while, also they boundle cores together each pair sharing L2 cache which doesn't give as much performance per core as what intel does. In reality AMD can't charge too much for a chip since they haven't come up with something really new in 4-5 years, it's like Intel had made refreshes of sandy bridge for 5 years (Let's face it, they haven't done much more tho) Anyway, what i can tell you is that at the 150-200$ price range, you will have AMD 8 cores CPUs trading blows with Intel's I5s, and both are good options, if someone praises too much a side dismiss them, some people have an abusive relationship with corporations and think CEOs give a fuck about them, let them be delusional, i tend to be critical since neither AMD or Intel is making the best products they can, there are 2 things i strongly believe that i think are based on fact not bias. First, AMD does not make enthusiast class CPUs, meaning a high performing 3-400$++ chip that dominates it's price range, if you want to edit or do video rendering, and you want the best, go with intel. Second, AMD is the logical choice for a 100ish dollar processor. At that price point Intel is throwing I3s that are way overpriced and the Pentium at 70 bucks, which may be an option if ur budget is really tight, but other than that, you can get a 6300 hexacore which is old and not best performance per core, but it sure beats an I3, specially with some overclocking

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Are you serious? The majority of 970 boards use entirely SATA3 as are all 990 boards, its not that common for an AM3+ board still being sold not to have an internal USB 3 header and I've had two separate AM3+ boards with esata.

The majority of the boards are not 970 ir 990 in fact those are the more pricey ones which is a pretty bad choice for what's essentially a dead platform. For the same 100 or so bucks he could be getting h97 that does include support for the other features I mentioned on top of this ones plus access to much better upgrade options in terms of chips.

Even if you save considerably with an 8350 by the time you get a motherboard that can overclock it nicely and an aftermarket cooler, you could have gone with an i5 and cheaper z97 which beats it on nearly every respect: speed, temps, overall performance. Plus instead of being left with a board that it's already outdated you're left with one that can update later to i7 chips which no AMD chip at this time can even touch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The majority of the boards are not 970 ir 990 in fact those are the more pricey ones which is a pretty bad choice for what's essentially a dead platform. For the same 100 or so bucks he could be getting h97 that does include support for the other features I mentioned on top of this ones plus access to much better upgrade options in terms of chips.

Even if you save considerably with an 8350 by the time you get a motherboard that can overclock it nicely and an aftermarket cooler, you could have gone with an i5 and cheaper z97 which beats it on nearly every respect: speed, temps, overall performance. Plus instead of being left with a board that it's already outdated you're left with one that can update later to i7 chips which no AMD chip at this time can even touch.

I'm well aware of the drawbacks of AMD, I had an 8120 until a few months ago. I was purely calling out the statement on lack of features, the two cheapest AM3+ boards $40-$45 both have onboard headers and for an extra $15 you get into the boards with 6 x SATA 3 and onboard USB 3.0 which is no way near the $100 price point.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I'm well aware of the drawbacks of AMD, I had an 8120 until a few months ago. I was purely calling out the statement on lack of features, the two cheapest AM3+ boards $40-$45 both have onboard headers and for an extra $15 you get into the boards with 6 x SATA 3 and onboard USB 3.0 which is no way near the $100 price point.

They're not as commonly found, in my experience, as the crappier ones without usb 3.0 headers and such. I think that it's counter intuitive to recommend this for someone kinda new to building knowing that most of the times they might walk into an outdated motherboard with 0 upgradeability, people who know what they're doing and what they need wouldn't ask about it anyway imho.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What was the point of this thread?

I'm honestly lost on that as well. This is practically the definition of flame bait.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

The 900 series chipset was intended for AM3+, while 800 series was for socket AM3.

If you are referring to the cheaper 760 / 780 motherboards, then there is why.

The 700 series chipset came out in 2007 / 2008. This is with the first-generation Phenom CPU's on the AM2+ socket. SATA3 was just drafted to be a thing possible in 2008.

Same situation for USB 3.0 - near the end of 2008.

To be honest, I don't know why they kept the 760G / 700 series chipset motherboards. The PCB design traces / board design was never intended to handle 125W / 140W CPUs -- then you take into account overclocking. Back in 2007 / 2008, most of the Processors were 65W, 89W/90W, and 95W. You then had three or four 125W Processors that were the high-end unlocked 'Black Edition' parts. At that point, you wouldn't be using a 740(G) or 760G motherboard -- 790GX, 790X, or 790FX (equivalent to Z97, 990X or 990FX).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>