Can I use my gtx 970 and r9 390x in the same system

Jakeman797

I was wondering if I can use my gtx 970 for one monitor, and an r9 390x for the other, because it has 8 gb of VRAM. Obviously I won't try to use them in tandem, but I was wondering if I can use both in the same system without problems.

yup you can

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

yup you can

Yes, Linus has a video about this.

Yes you can

NO you cannot. The video linus did about this was BEFORE nvidia released the driver that disabled any nvidia GPU if there is AMD software on the same system.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was wondering if I can use my gtx 970 for one monitor, and an r9 390x for the other, because it has 8 gb of VRAM. Obviously I won't try to use them in tandem, but I was wondering if I can use both in the same system without problems.

Wait, why would you use two cards for two monitors?

And yes, you can use an AMD and one Nvidia card in the system at the same time. Would it be worth it? Probably not, lots more issues with it than you'd want.

That 8GBs is going to waste and you could easily get a $50-$60 card for the second monitor. Any reason you can't connect your second monitor to your primary video card?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

That 8GBs is going to waste and you could easily get a $50-$60 card for the second monitor. Any reason you can't connect your second monitor to your primary video card?

I was going to sell my nvidia card and get the r9 390x, I do use more than 4 gb memory. I was just wondering if there was any way to put the nvidia card to use

no you can't

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

NO you cannot. The video linus did about this was BEFORE nvidia released the driver that disabled any nvidia GPU if there is AMD software on the same system.

I thought is was just phys-x

I was going to sell my nvidia card and get the r9 390x, I do use more than 4 gb memory. I was just wondering if there was any way to put the nvidia card to use

You could sell it to recoupe some of the costs of the 390X.

You could sell it to recoupe some of the costs of the 390X.

thats what I think I'll do

You could have two cards in the same system. One case, two computers.

I thought is was just phys-x

No, it disables the entire set of nvidia drivers until all AMD software is removed from that system

So you would either need to use a really old driver version (which is not possible because then there woulod be no 970 support) or uninstall and reinstall drivers every time you want to switch using GPUs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thats what I think I'll do

Setup another rig...?

Rendering/Lan rig or whatever...

Or sell it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

No.

Not at the same time. you can only use one driver at one time.

when using the AMD card, you can only have CCC open, and the nvidia experience needs to be closed.

same with nvidias card, the CCC needs to be terminated in task manager.

at the same time? No.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Not even necessary seeing as you have an iGPU and onboard video.  Turn on Multi Monitor in your BIOS under System Agent Configuration, plug in monitor.  This will also give you access to QuickSync

Even that isn't necessary because you can run 4 monitors on a 970 but I would sell the 970 and use the 390X

I think you might be able to use it in the same system in some jancky way and not in any practicle way, but not for the same task so no sli or cf, and I think nvidia disabled using the gtx as a physx cards if you have an amd card

Not even necessary seeing as you have an iGPU and onboard video.  Turn on Multi Monitor in your BIOS under System Agent Configuration, plug in monitor.  This will also give you access to QuickSync

Even that isn't necessary because you can run 4 monitors on a 970 but I would sell the 970 and use the 390X

So you think that the 390x is a good buy?

It beats the 970 in almost everything except for power draw but on current games it's not worth it unless you are doing 1440p+ or using VSR.  In the future though, the 390X will out pace the 970 even more, 8GB of VRAM is tasty cakes.

I am waiting until next year to upgrade my R9 290, it does 1440p well enough for now

Wat. When did that happen?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Wat. When did that happen?

only a few weeks after linus released this video

Spoiler