Is the 780ti worth it?

teedis

Hello,

This is going to be my first build so i would love some general tips on where to get started if you guys can give them to me. My main question is about graphics though. i want a fairly powerful gaming rig, one that can run the witcher 3 and medium to high setting and about 40+ fps. Should i get a 780ti? is it worth the price? it fits fairly nicely into my budget of about 1500$. 

Hello,

This is going to be my first build so i would love some general tips on where to get started if you guys can give them to me. My main question is about graphics though. i want a fairly powerful gaming rig, one that can run the witcher 3 and medium to high setting and about 40+ fps. Should i get a 780ti? is it worth the price? it fits fairly nicely into my budget of about 1500$. 

Typically yes it is well worth the price, it can definitely do better than what you are asking for in the witcher but we need to know how much you found one for. And if it's new or used or which model.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

i'd honestly prefer a 970, 980 or 980ti instead, depending on how much of the budget can go towards graphics.

PS: welcome to the forum @teedis theres a button at the top right to follow a topic, its advised to follow your own topics, as you'll get notificiations when someone answers.

My suggestion would be a 290X, if you're actually looking at a 780Ti. It's cheaper, but performs better in most cases. (which is what it was meant to do)

Unless you can find it new around $400 or used around $200 its not worth it.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

My suggestion would be a 290X, if you're actually looking at a 780Ti. It's cheaper, but performs better in most cases. (which is what it was meant to do)

The 290x is slower than 780ti in every single game unless you are looking at 4k benchmarks, only then 290x beats it on a rare occasion. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

i'd honestly prefer a 970, 980 or 980ti instead, depending on how much of the budget can go towards graphics.

PS: welcome to the forum @teedis theres a button at the top right to follow a topic, its advised to follow your own topics, as you'll get notificiations when someone answers.

thanks! i looked around at prices a bit and realized that they are mostly 500+ so im looking more towards 970 or 980. i figure the 980 cause i might as well spend the extra 150$ or so for the extra performance right?

Used 780ti's are generally priced really really well, so if thats how you plan on buying one, its basically unbeatable value.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

thanks! i looked around at prices a bit and realized that they are mostly 500+ so im looking more towards 970 or 980. i figure the 980 cause i might as well spend the extra 150$ or so for the extra performance right?

from the few decent benchmarks i can find where the 980 and 780ti are put head to head, they seem to be pretty dang similar

(which is a pretty big win for the 165watt 980 over the 250 watt 780ti)

when going between 980 and 970, it comes down to what you can fit in your budget: 980 will perform a bit better, 970 will cost significantly less.

as for @Swndlr 's option of buying second hand, i dont really recommend doing that if you dont personally know the seller, as you dont know what happened to the card.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($101.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($679.95 @ B&H) 

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $1389.83

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-02 13:21 EDT-0400

CPU : i7 4790K // GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G // CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 // MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI // RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 //    Case & PSU // Fractal Define S & EVGA 750W

i definitely dont want to buy anything used. I really like that build list as well, i have a few parts laying around from my families computers that i may try and scavenge to save a little on the price.  

I've found 780 ti's for like $400 before a couple weeks back, check around sites like micro center, NCIX, newegg etc. They usually have good sales on GPU's. Btw 780 ti and 980 are close to each other