X99 Mobo Guidance - ASUS Rampage V Extreme, Deluxe or Pro?

The thing is .. if I wait that long I probably won't get as good deals for my current 2x G1 970 right now locally. For now I'll be selling them both around $840 CAD and if I buy a card from Canada then obviously it's only $899 but if I buy it locally here .. I have no idea but I'll end up paying a little over $1,000 CAD but that'll give me the local warranty.

So this is gonna be a tricky one for me but let's see I guess. I was lucky enough to not have coil whine at all last time as well when I got it from the same official retailer of Gigabyte in Pakistan and had no issues, if anything I heard they had 1 DOA card of 980 but that's about it.

Maybe for this region they already revised some of the stuff that they thought needed work after launching it in North America and all? If that's the case then we're in good hands I guess.

@slightlyjaded oh and .. can you confirm if there are any features like one click to turn on and off OC of the CPU? Like .. if I'm ready to game just click in AI Suite or something and overclock it to my desired and custom settings and when done playing and not needed just turn it off so I don't have to reboot and go into UEFI BIOS again and again to tinker around with settings? that will be very very ideal for me.

The 980's didn't have the problems with coil whine that the 970's did, don't know why, but very few people actually have issues with them.

I've uninstalled the overclocking part of AIsuite, to disable the "power optimisation" feature. But as far as I remember it actually rebooted when you had your overclock set. It was perfectly happy to ramp it up during it's own overclocking, and stress testing, but if you changed the muiltiplier manually it wanted to warm boot..

The 980's didn't have the problems with coil whine that the 970's did, don't know why, but very few people actually have issues with them.

I've uninstalled the overclocking part of AIsuite, to disable the "power optimisation" feature. But as far as I remember it actually rebooted when you had your overclock set. It was perfectly happy to ramp it up during it's own overclocking, and stress testing, but if you changed the muiltiplier manually it wanted to warm boot..

I already see people complaining about coil whine in G1 980 Ti on Newegg.com so that kind of sucks I guess.

Ahh, so as long as we set pre-defined settings and don't change the OC settings everytime I wanna play a game it should be fine and wouldn't require a warm boot, right?

Also why did you want to disable the said feature, was it hurting you in any way that I need to know of so I can avoid it too? lol.

Otherwise we're good I guess, right? maybe down the road I'll custom water loop my whole computer as I've always wanted but thinking about it's maintenance has always put me off lol.

P.S. Thanks a lot for all your input, I highly appreciate it all!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64
All powered by Corsair AX1200i

I already see people complaining about coil whine in G1 980 Ti on Newegg.com so that kind of sucks I guess.

Ahh, so as long as we set pre-defined settings and don't change the OC settings everytime I wanna play a game it should be fine and wouldn't require a warm boot, right?

Also why did you want to disable the said feature, was it hurting you in any way that I need to know of so I can avoid it too? lol.

Otherwise we're good I guess, right? maybe down the road I'll custom water loop my whole computer as I've always wanted but thinking about it's maintenance has always put me off lol.

P.S. Thanks a lot for all your input, I highly appreciate it all!

AIsuite untill I caught it was prone to pushing 1.5 volts through my cpu.....just for reference I won't go above 1.3V myself.

And maintenance for a custom water loop is pretty simple as long as you design it with maintenance in mind. Take a peak at jayz2centz system, especially in the basement, while he might have to fill the res from inside the case, he has drainage hoses preinstalled, so all he has to do is unscrew a valve, and his pump starts pumping the fluid in his loop through the drainage hose (water follows the path of least resistance) He can then fill up his loop with whatever he wants to flush it with, and then refill it.

AIsuite untill I caught it was prone to pushing 1.5 volts through my cpu.....just for reference I won't go above 1.3V myself.

And maintenance for a custom water loop is pretty simple as long as you design it with maintenance in mind. Take a peak at jayz2centz system, especially in the basement, while he might have to fill the res from inside the case, he has drainage hoses preinstalled, so all he has to do is unscrew a valve, and his pump starts pumping the fluid in his loop through the drainage hose (water follows the path of least resistance) He can then fill up his loop with whatever he wants to flush it with, and then refill it.

Ha! That's pretty neat, yeah. I was thinking about it if I go Rampage way which seems like that's what I'm going with now for sure I can get it's water loop component rather easily.

I'll definitely check his rig out again, I did see it before but I'll do it again just to make sure lol. How long does it take for a decent loop to require maintenance? few months or couple years or so?

Also, I'm looking into this RAM: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c16q-32grk

Any suggestions on it? I shouldn't need to tinker with any settings for OC at all with Rampage V Extreme, right?

I remember when I got my current Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 32GB (2x 16GB Kit) I had to do some XMP settings in BIOS. I assume same will be needed for this to get it's full 2800Mhz, right?

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64

Ha! That's pretty neat, yeah. I was thinking about it if I go Rampage way which seems like that's what I'm going with now for sure I can get it's water loop component rather easily.

I'll definitely check his rig out again, I did see it before but I'll do it again just to make sure lol. How long does it take for a decent loop to require maintenance? few months or couple years or so?

Also, I'm looking into this RAM: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c16q-32grk

Any suggestions on it? I shouldn't need to tinker with any settings for OC at all with Rampage V Extreme, right?

I remember when I got my current Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 32GB (2x 16GB Kit) I had to do some XMP settings in BIOS. I assume same will be needed for this to get it's full 2800Mhz, right?

I'd have to check, but as far as I'm aware anything over 2133 on x99 requires xmp settings, or just plain overclock. The ram is binned for the listed speed and CAS latency, but you do have to overclock it. You don't void waranty by doing this however. Again any x99 board outside of some of the WS board will overclock quite happily (and most of the 1P WS boards as well) Unless you're planning on pushing nuts speeds with your chip, or need the extra functionality you can save a lot by buying a deluxe (trust me, I don't recommend that anyone outside of an industry professional buy a E-WS board, they don't need it) rampage gives you a bit more monitoring so that you know if you're pushing your chip to hard, but any x99 will do the basics (and hey when your PC blue screens you know you've pushed to hard)

I would recomend manually overclocking, and doing proper stress testing at each stage instead of using AISuite's stress test.

I'd have to check, but as far as I'm aware anything over 2133 on x99 requires xmp settings, or just plain overclock. The ram is binned for the listed speed and CAS latency, but you do have to overclock it. You don't void waranty by doing this however. Again any x99 board outside of some of the WS board will overclock quite happily (and most of the 1P WS boards as well) Unless you're planning on pushing nuts speeds with your chip, or need the extra functionality you can save a lot by buying a deluxe (trust me, I don't recommend that anyone outside of an industry professional buy a E-WS board, they don't need it) rampage gives you a bit more monitoring so that you know if you're pushing your chip to hard, but any x99 will do the basics (and hey when your PC blue screens you know you've pushed to hard)

I would recomend manually overclocking, and doing proper stress testing at each stage instead of using AISuite's stress test.

Definitely will be doing manually testing and will be doing some intensive research on X99 OC before attempting anything at all.

I'm going with Rampage for it's blazingly amazing audio option too, built-in sound card is better than Deluxe so will go nicely with my surround sound in my room.

As for the RAM, you're telling me that I cannot get 2800Mhz without overclocking the RAM? that kinda sucks .. I was trying to avoid OC my RAM at all costs, maybe I can save even $100 CAD by coming down from 2800Mhz to around 2400 or less if it doesn't make me OC to get that speed? Any idea what kind of speeds I can get on Rampage V Extreme without the need to OC my RAM at all? That way I can look for those certain speeds and save money and not buy 2800/3000Mhz RAM.

Also don't worry, not going for E-WS board even though it did cross my mind considering my rig will be used intensively for VM but I still think Rampage V Extreme will be a better option or even Deluxe for that matter for me anyway.

Definitely will be doing manually testing and will be doing some intensive research on X99 OC before attempting anything at all.

I'm going with Rampage for it's blazingly amazing audio option too, built-in sound card is better than Deluxe so will go nicely with my surround sound in my room.

As for the RAM, you're telling me that I cannot get 2800Mhz without overclocking the RAM? that kinda sucks .. I was trying to avoid OC my RAM at all costs, maybe I can save even $100 CAD by coming down from 2800Mhz to around 2400 or less if it doesn't make me OC to get that speed? Any idea what kind of speeds I can get on Rampage V Extreme without the need to OC my RAM at all? That way I can look for those certain speeds and save money and not buy 2800/3000Mhz RAM.

Also don't worry, not going for E-WS board even though it did cross my mind considering my rig will be used intensively for VM but I still think Rampage V Extreme will be a better option or even Deluxe for that matter for me anyway.

As far as I'm aware the limitation with base ram speeds is the chipset, while later boards like the gigabyte formula had base support for far higher overclocks, the base speed was unchanged. If a ram dimm is rated at a speed it will overclock to that speed without a problem, and without pushing extra power through it.. It won't become unstable unless you're using an esoteric base clock. If you're keeping you're cpu overclocking simple, and not messing with the base clock, then you won't have any problems

The rampage is mainly the monitoring IMO, all that extra functionality feeds directly into that OC panel bypassing software which tends to have a slight delay. I use corsair link for my monitoring, and have "issues" with it, and ASUS AI suite. (AI suite tried putting 1.5V through my cpu once at a just a little above stock speeds)

Yeah .. looks like I'll be capped at 2133Mhz if I don't OC.

This is from Rampage:

8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3300(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory 
Quad Channel Memory Architecture 
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. 
** Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

@REX.exe thoughts? I remember you saying earlier that you wouldn't suggest me to OC the RAM but over here it seems like without OC I'll be getting merely 2133Mhz which .. is a shame for DDR4 lol.

So guys ... looks like the RAM I picked will go just fine with 5820k and Rampage V Extreme, eh?

Everything looks real interesting, guys.

Once again, thanks a lot to both of you and everyone else and I don't mind if any valuable advice will be added to this thread by anyone as I will be getting the board next week so plenty of time.

ram speeds dont make any real sense, so go with whatever is cheapest.

ram speeds dont make any real sense, so go with whatever is cheapest.

It won't perform any better or worse in gaming or VM at all? What about rendering? It won't have any real world advantage besides bragging rights?

It won't perform any better or worse in gaming or VM at all? What about rendering? It won't have any real world advantage besides bragging rights?

Nope you wont notice any real world diffrence between 2133mhz or 2666mhz for example.

The only time wenn memory speeds realy matter, if you have an igpu or apu based system, in which the internal gpu uses the ram speed.

But for systems with dedicated gpu´s the ram speed doenst make any realy world diffrence realy.

Only the X99 Deluxe has no difference between the two models as USB 3.1 comes bundled in a card. With the other models, if you want USB 3.1, then you'll have to get 3.1 model, because the ports are actually soldered to the motherboard itself. USB 3.1 card, right here cost like $30 dollars (can't remember exact price), so it's much cheaper to get the bundle pack instead of buying it separately. Buying it separately will cost a extra $20 bucks.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Nope you wont notice any real world diffrence between 2133mhz or 2666mhz for example.

The only time wenn memory speeds realy matter, if you have an igpu or apu based system, in which the internal gpu uses the ram speed.

But for systems with dedicated gpu´s the ram speed doenst make any realy world diffrence realy.

Thanks. The only ones available in 32GB kit at MemoryExpress was available in 2666Mhz so I had to go with that otherwise I was ready with 2400Mhz so already reserved it and will pick it up from them tomorrow.

Only the X99 Deluxe has no difference between the two models as USB 3.1 comes bundled in a card. With the other models, if you want USB 3.1, then you'll have to get 3.1 model, because the ports are actually soldered to the motherboard itself. USB 3.1 card, right here cost like $30 dollars (can't remember exact price), so it's much cheaper to get the bundle pack instead of buying it separately. Buying it separately will cost a extra $20 bucks.

Rampage V Extreme also comes bundled with a card? and I think that's the same case with X99-PRO as well but since X99-PRO is out of the question and I'm getting Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 we should be good as I'll get a bundled add-on card with it. :)

@slightlyjaded: Can you look at these two and let me know the main difference in these two and which one would you prefer?

Noctua Industrial PPC - NF-F12: http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRATC/

Noctua Industrial PPC - NF-A14: http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-Cooling-NF-A14-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRF1A/

They're both 3,000 RPM fans so I think they should be good with pushing the air from inside the case through H100i radiator while I put the stock fans that came with the cooler on top of the case pulling it. Your thoughts on it? Let me know as I'd like to order it so I can have it by next week :)

Only voids warranties if the chip breaks/overheats BECAUSE of the overclock. If it is faulty and breaks for no other reason you will be eligible for a warranty.

The warranty isn't even void then, a buddy of mine has killed multiple 4770k and 4790k's, intel accepted the RMA everytime.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Rampage V Extreme also comes bundled with a card? and I think that's the same case with X99-PRO as well but since X99-PRO is out of the question and I'm getting Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 we should be good as I'll get a bundled add-on card with it. :)

Yes, you're right the Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 also comes bundle with the card just like the Deluxe. For the Pro, it's onboard and does not come bundle with a card.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

The warranty isn't even void then, a buddy of mine has killed multiple 4770k and 4790k's, intel accepted the RMA everytime.

That's neat but I doubt if they'd do the same in Pakistan but we'll see I guess. Not planning to hardcore OC either so I'll play it safely and should reach 4.3-4.5Ghz easily on 5820k with Rampage V Extreme and H100i cooling it but generally anything over 4.0Ghz should be fine for me as I didn't even OC my current 4790k and running it at base 4.0Ghz right now. Plus I'll be OC it only while playing game if possible within a software or something with pre-defined custom settings that I have stress tested and all and then turn it off when not playing game so it's not OC 24x7 just to be on the safe side I guess.

Yes, you're right the Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 also comes bundle with the card just like the Deluxe. For the Pro, it's onboard and does not come bundle with a card.

So I guess we're good with Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 and even if I go with it's non U3.1 version I can always slap another 3.1 card on it and be fine since everything else is same, right?

That's neat but I doubt if they'd do the same in Pakistan but we'll see I guess. Not planning to hardcore OC either so I'll play it safely and should reach 4.3-4.5Ghz easily on 5820k with Rampage V Extreme and H100i cooling it but generally anything over 4.0Ghz should be fine for me as I didn't even OC my current 4790k and running it at base 4.0Ghz right now. Plus I'll be OC it only while playing game if possible within a software or something with pre-defined custom settings that I have stress tested and all and then turn it off when not playing game so it's not OC 24x7 just to be on the safe side I guess.

So I guess we're good with Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 and even if I go with it's non U3.1 version I can always slap another 3.1 card on it and be fine since everything else is same, right?

Yeah, you can always add it later on if you want.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Thanks. The only ones available in 32GB kit at MemoryExpress was available in 2666Mhz so I had to go with that otherwise I was ready with 2400Mhz so already reserved it and will pick it up from them tomorrow.

@slightlyjaded: Can you look at these two and let me know the main difference in these two and which one would you prefer?

Noctua Industrial PPC - NF-F12: http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRATC/

Noctua Industrial PPC - NF-A14: http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-Cooling-NF-A14-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRF1A/

They're both 3,000 RPM fans so I think they should be good with pushing the air from inside the case through H100i radiator while I put the stock fans that came with the cooler on top of the case pulling it. Your thoughts on it? Let me know as I'd like to order it so I can have it by next week :)

First one is a 120mm which will fit on your h100i, second one is 140mm which doesn't

First one is a 120mm which will fit on your h100i, second one is 140mm which doesn't

Hory shit, did I miss it by that much? lol wow!

NF-F12 seems good to buy right? Only one come in a box, I'll need to buy 2 I assume and they'll be good wiht stock fans for push and pull config with Noctua pushing from inside the case and stock ones pulling it from the outside.

Noctua Industrial PPC - NF-F12: http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRATC/

Noctua Industrial PPC - NF-A14: http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-Cooling-NF-A14-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRF1A/

noctua fans are a waste of money.

the stock h100i fans work fine. i usually keep them in max quiet mode at like 600rpm. 

If you want really good high performance fans than nothing beats delta however they sound like a jumbo jet. 

noctua fans are a waste of money.

the stock h100i fans work fine. i usually keep them in max quiet mode at like 600rpm. 

If you want really good high performance fans than nothing beats delta however they sound like a jumbo jet. 

I know the stock H100i fans works just fine as I've been using them so far but I live in a desert where it can get pretty hot even though air conditioning is running 24x7 in my room so it's always cold but sometimes when the weather is nice I like to open up the windows of my room and enjoy some of the fresh air and then while doing so the temperature of the room can change as well and that time the temperature of components in the PC can rise up as well.

So keeping that all in mind and considering to even OC my 5820k I was going with Noctua as they look pretty neat and they're not that loud at same speeds when compared to stock H100i fans unless at full 3000 RPM but .. I'll look into Delta but when you said that they sound like a jumbo jet that just kills my interest to even look them up lol.

I know the stock H100i fans works just fine as I've been using them so far but I live in a desert where it can get pretty hot even though air conditioning is running 24x7 in my room so it's always cold but sometimes when the weather is nice I like to open up the windows of my room and enjoy some of the fresh air and then while doing so the temperature of the room can change as well and that time the temperature of components in the PC can rise up as well.

So keeping that all in mind and considering to even OC my 5820k I was going with Noctua as they look pretty neat and they're not that loud at same speeds when compared to stock H100i fans unless at full 3000 RPM but .. I'll look into Delta but when you said that they sound like a jumbo jet that just kills my interest to even look them up lol.

noctuas aren't loud cuz they aren't strong. you buy noctua fans cuz you want quiet fans at the cost of cooling performance. delta fans are the other way around. delta is server-grade. they have god-tier airflow but sound like a jet. basically you can't have it both ways, quiet and performance. 

noctuas aren't loud cuz they aren't strong. you buy noctua fans cuz you want quiet fans at the cost of cooling performance. delta fans are the other way around. they have god-tier airflow but sound like a jet. basically you can't have it both ways, quiet and performance. 

Well, I wasn't planning on keeping them at 3000 RPM 24x7 but only when required.

However I thought the reason for them being quiet was because of the rubber things they got on the corners and the reviews have been great on them so far.

I guess I'll look up Delta fans right now as well and see what's up cause I can always run them at lower RPM when not needed and don't make them sound like a jet.

However I don't believe in if it only sounds super loud that's why it should be good, technology has advanced much more and I wouldn't be surprised if the fan producing less noise will outperform the other ones with louder noise but like I said, I'm not sure on that as I haven't used either of those so I'll look up Delta fans as well to have another option.

Thanks though, mate.

Well, I wasn't planning on keeping them at 3000 RPM 24x7 but only when required.

However I thought the reason for them being quiet was because of the rubber things they got on the corners and the reviews have been great on them so far.

I guess I'll look up Delta fans right now as well and see what's up cause I can always run them at lower RPM when not needed and don't make them sound like a jet.

However I don't believe in if it only sounds super loud that's why it should be good, technology has advanced much more and I wouldn't be surprised if the fan producing less noise will outperform the other ones with louder noise but like I said, I'm not sure on that as I haven't used either of those so I'll look up Delta fans as well to have another option.

Thanks though, mate.

nope.

i got noctua fans from my old air cool and noctua fans are quiet because they move almost no air; they are more for show than performance. noctua is mostly marketing. 

Id leave the stock h100i fans. they give good performance at max rpm however you will most likely want to keep them on quiet mode for the noise. delta fans would give even better performance but they'd be even louder too. like i said delta is meant for real enterprise grade servers. servers that are housed in sever rooms where no one cares about quiet.