X99 Mobo Guidance - ASUS Rampage V Extreme, Deluxe or Pro?

According to the rampage 5 Extreme over all the other boards.

It has better onboard audio, ROG OC panel.

The bios will have more feutures to fine tune a overclock.

Note that the Rampage 5 is a E-ATX form factor

Diffrence between the pro and deluxe is connectivity mainaly

Deluxe has a couple of usb ports more, and 2 sata express ports, but Sata express is kinda dead.

I got surround sound system with my PC so Rampage will have an advantage for me then, right?

I'm good in that case with 800D right now.

So far looks like it's gonna be Rampage now but still would like more inputs.

The rampage is mainly the monitoring IMO, all that extra functionality feeds directly into that OC panel bypassing software which tends to have a slight delay. I use corsair link for my monitoring, and have "issues" with it, and ASUS AI suite. (AI suite tried putting 1.5V through my cpu once at a just a little above stock speeds)

I use Corsair Link and it's a great piece of software with issues for sure but the ones we put up with but I guess having the OC Panel on my desk won't hurt either as it looks sexy.

To be honest the AI Suite is like a broken tool for me but I never really gave it a chance lol.

1. I don't recommend OCing RAM.

2. Keep the 800D, your e-peen is big enough with either one of those motherboards.

3. Not really. They are both amazing for OCing.

Looking at it from an aesthetic point of view I'd say the rampage as it will look nicer with your setup. red, black AND white don't tend to look that great when compared to just red and black.

So basically on both it'll come down to mainly looks and extra goodies for me if I go Rampage otherwise I won't be missing out much on Deluxe?

Here's how it looks right now: post-152910-14358381637376_thumb.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64
All powered by Corsair AX1200i

Rampage....I don't have enough room.

Why let me:

88888888888888888888888888888888888========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

And the ginormous e-peen size difference.

PRO:

8============================================================D

Deluxe:

8======================================================================================================================================D

im not realy interessted in your e-peen size, so STFU.

I got surround sound system with my PC so Rampage will have an advantage for me then, right?

I'm good in that case with 800D right now.

So far looks like it's gonna be Rampage now but still would like more inputs.

I use Corsair Link and it's a great piece of software with issues for sure but the ones we put up with but I guess having the OC Panel on my desk won't hurt either as it looks sexy.

To be honest the AI Suite is like a broken tool for me but I never really gave it a chance lol.

So basically on both it'll come down to mainly looks and extra goodies for me if I go Rampage otherwise I won't be missing out much on Deluxe?

Here's how it looks right now: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1435838160.733511.jpg

Ugh, those blue LEDS will drive you mental.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

im not realy interessted in your e-peen size, so STFU.

Love you too bae ;)

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Please don't do one for the WS.

hehehehehehehehehehehehe....

k.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

hehe, black/silver build with RGB LED's.......the geforce GTX green led annoys the F*%k out of me though.

hehe, black/silver build with RGB LED's.......the geforce GTX green led annoys the F*%k out of me though.

Why not mod them?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I don't run mine overclocked 24/7, but I do run it at stock 24/7 (the beauty of WS components, when I say 24/7 I mean it) I only switch it up for AAA gaming, and benchmarking, There's very little on the market that will actually push a 5960x to it's limits at stock (GTAV,and witcher are both multi core optimised) Gaming load on overclock my fans don't ramp up, and honestly the standard ones were fine as long as you switched the fan profile to "silent" in corsair link. the difference between the stock sp-120's and the noctua industrials I use now is 1000rpm vs 600rpm. The industrials do push more air through the rad however even with the slower speed, real world they're probably worth 2 degrees, and quieter/slower fans.

I believe there are single one click options to overclock and return to baseclock when not gaming without going into boot settings always, right?

I wouldn't want to turn off all my VMs to reboot just to OC to play the games, ya knw? It'll be .. pretty hectic then for me.

My stock fans easily go above 2500 in Corsair Link isn't that the RPM that's shown? Like this: http://prntscr.com/7nwt5t

I'm gonna look for Noctua then, how many should I get? 2 of them should be fine for pushing it out and then I can always put the stock ones for pulling on top of the case as well, right? It's not gonna hurt anything anyway...

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64

Why not mod them?

Was always planning on a second 980, then sticking the entire rig on water.

Good thing the the new 980 Ti will be interchangeable to Red LEDs courtesy of Gigabyte G1 offering so I'll be good with that ;)

Good thing the the new 980 Ti will be interchangeable to Red LEDs courtesy of Gigabyte G1 offering so I'll be good with that ;)

Oh, I didn't know they were 980Tis. my bad.

Was always planning on a second 980, then sticking the entire rig on water.

You know what that means....

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! (and @JayzTwoCents)

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I believe there are single one click options to overclock and return to baseclock when not gaming without going into boot settings always, right?

I wouldn't want to turn off all my VMs to reboot just to OC to play the games, ya knw? It'll be .. pretty hectic then for me.

My stock fans easily go above 2500 in Corsair Link isn't that the RPM that's shown? Like this: http://prntscr.com/7nwt5t

I'm gonna look for Noctua then, how many should I get? 2 of them should be fine for pushing it out and then I can always put the stock ones for pulling on top of the case as well, right? It's not gonna hurt anything anyway...

I run a 900d with with 3. 2 for the rad, and one to push air through the 3 hard drives I've got in the hotswap bay. everywhere else I just use the AF-120's that came with the case.

If you right click on the corsairlink icon in your task bar you'll find an option to put the fans in quiet mode. It should drop them down to about 1k rpm.

Oh no .. not yet, lol. These are 970 in SLI but I will be getting 980 Ti next week or on 14-15 July if I buy it from Canada.

Will definitely go for Gigabyte G1 variant as Asus's Strix aren't even out yet and I don't think it'll beat Gigabyte anyway or even if it does it's not gonna be by that much.

check the gallery on my profile did that with the LED's set at white for contrast (love how light shines on the heatsink....you'll see) I run it with blue normally

I run a 900d with with 3. 2 for the rad, and one to push air through the 3 hard drives I've got in the hotswap bay. everywhere else I just use the AF-120's that came with the case.

If you right click on the corsairlink icon in your task bar you'll find an option to put the fans in quiet mode. It should drop them down to about 1k rpm.

Oh I know .. that's what I was referring to but I got confused when you said 1000rps vs 600rpm as I thought you were saying Noctua will only provide 1000rpm and current stock ones will only provide 600rpm so that's why I asked.

So to clear the air .. you meant to say the performance of 1000rpm noctua beats 600rpm of stock fans? I mean .. obviously it would be I feel like I'm missing something there, sorry.

Oh no .. not yet, lol. These are 970 in SLI but I will be getting 980 Ti next week or on 14-15 July if I buy it from Canada.

Will definitely go for Gigabyte G1 variant as Asus's Strix aren't even out yet and I don't think it'll beat Gigabyte anyway or even if it does it's not gonna be by that much.

I know this might make me unpopular but I find strix cards are a one trick pony. After it came out that you could drop any 900 series card to minimal rpm, and if you were willing to mod the bios you could give any 900 series card a zero rpm fan curve it didn't even have it's own trick.....Just my opinion.

Oh I know .. that's what I was referring to but I got confused when you said 1000rps vs 600rpm as I thought you were saying Noctua will only provide 1000rpm and current stock ones will only provide 600rpm so that's why I asked.

So to clear the air .. you meant to say the performance of 1000rpm noctua beats 600rpm of stock fans? I mean .. obviously it would be I feel like I'm missing something there, sorry.

No I'm saying my quiet mode sp120's which ran at 1000rpm get smacked like a little bitch by my new noctua industrials running at 600rpm. They not only run slower, but do more at the same time.....I did keep the shit brown anti vibration mounts though. Yes noctua hype does have a basis in fact.

I've got a set of ip67 2000 rpm units. just for reference.

I know this might make me unpopular but I find strix cards are a one trick pony. After it came out that you could drop any 900 series card to minimal rpm, and if you were willing to mod the bios you could give any 900 series card a zero rpm fan curve it didn't even have it's own trick.....Just my opinion.

So you also back my decision to stick with Gigabyte G1's edition as opposed to Strix, right?

No I'm saying my quiet mode sp120's which ran at 1000rpm get smacked like a little bitch by my new noctua industrials running at 600rpm. They not only run slower, but do more at the same time.....I did keep the shit brown anti vibration mounts though. Yes noctua hype does have a basis in fact.

Ohhhhhh .. cool. I hope I can find the full black industrial versions right now in Canada so I can have that with me as well!

So you also back my decision to stick with Gigabyte G1's edition as opposed to Strix, right?

Ohhhhhh .. cool. I hope I can find the full black industrial versions right now in Canada so I can have that with me as well!

pretty much, it a good cooler, I'm not sure however. Can anyone tell me, is it a custom pcb, or they just slapped the cooler on, and used the extra headroom to push it harder?

The 980 G1, was a pretty awesome card, and you didn't get much more without buying a kingpin.

Be aware it is a dispersion style cooler, and if you're planning on 2 way SLi again there are certain issues you'll have.

pretty much, it a good cooler, I'm not sure however. Can anyone tell me, is it a custom pcb, or they just slapped the cooler on, and used the extra headroom to push it harder?

The 980 G1, was a pretty awesome card, and you didn't get much more without buying a kingpin.

Be aware it is a dispersion style cooler, and if you're planning on 2 way SLi again there are certain issues you'll have.

Idk man .. when it comes to GPU, I don't even look at EVGA anymore. I mean .. the beauty of Asus/Gigabyte cards were unmatchable up until last year (I think) when GALAX and Zotac announced their beast cards, this year also ... they got really beautiful looking ones but I'm still gonna stick with a brand that's been treating me right so far.

The only fear I have with new cards are the freaking coil whine so I'm hoping if I get it from Canada, I don't get that but I'd much rather prefer to buy it from here locally so I have it's warranty so it hold some of the value when it's sold again.

Idk man .. when it comes to GPU, I don't even look at EVGA anymore. I mean .. the beauty of Asus/Gigabyte cards were unmatchable up until last year (I think) when GALAX and Zotac announced their beast cards, this year also ... they got really beautiful looking ones but I'm still gonna stick with a brand that's been treating me right so far.

The only fear I have with new cards are the freaking coil whine so I'm hoping if I get it from Canada, I don't get that but I'd much rather prefer to buy it from here locally so I have it's warranty so it hold some of the value when it's sold again.

Fair call. I'd always prefer to be loyal to a brand that has treated you well. With the kingpin it's completely overpriced unless you're going to be LN2 overclocking and need the extra power delivery. I do like how they bin the chips though. The reason I'm curious about custom pcb is if it's a reference card with the G1 cooler slapped on I'd wait a month or two for Gigabyte to play catchup. Nividea kept the Ti under wraps for a long time which means the early pcb layouts aren't going to be optimal.

Fair call. I'd always prefer to be loyal to a brand that has treated you well. With the kingpin it's completely overpriced unless you're going to be LN2 overclocking and need the extra power delivery. I do like how they bin the chips though. The reason I'm curious about custom pcb is if it's a reference card with the G1 cooler slapped on I'd wait a month or two for Gigabyte to play catchup. Nividea kept the Ti under wraps for a long time which means the early pcb layouts aren't going to be optimal.

The thing is .. if I wait that long I probably won't get as good deals for my current 2x G1 970 right now locally. For now I'll be selling them both around $840 CAD and if I buy a card from Canada then obviously it's only $899 but if I buy it locally here .. I have no idea but I'll end up paying a little over $1,000 CAD but that'll give me the local warranty.

So this is gonna be a tricky one for me but let's see I guess. I was lucky enough to not have coil whine at all last time as well when I got it from the same official retailer of Gigabyte in Pakistan and had no issues, if anything I heard they had 1 DOA card of 980 but that's about it.

Maybe for this region they already revised some of the stuff that they thought needed work after launching it in North America and all? If that's the case then we're in good hands I guess.

@slightlyjaded oh and .. can you confirm if there are any features like one click to turn on and off OC of the CPU? Like .. if I'm ready to game just click in AI Suite or something and overclock it to my desired and custom settings and when done playing and not needed just turn it off so I don't have to reboot and go into UEFI BIOS again and again to tinker around with settings? that will be very very ideal for me.