Why are the CX series PSU's from Corsair bad?

Fictionvl

I'm wondering why? 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Are they? I mean theyre really cheap so dont be suprised if youre not getting amazing quality...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I'm wondering why? 

They aren't? The only issue I ever had with mine was the non-modular cabling.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

They are made using cheap capacitors. They are meant for building an office computer, not a gaming computer

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

They aren't they are great budget PSU's I haven't had a single problem with one.

I'm wondering why? 

A low ambient temperature tolerance of 30 degrees Celcius. That's awful. Also, the quality of the stuff inside isn't very good. It has lots of features for its price but you can get Seasonic PSUs at the same price as the CX series a lot of the time so it's best to avoid them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

no they are not bad. for the price they are actually pretty good. in you don't care bout modular cables

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

They aren't they are great budget PSU's I haven't had a single problem with one.

Just because you've never had a problem with it doesn't mean it's made well. 30C ambient is piss poor no matter how you look at it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I haven't had any problem with no name 400W PSU. That did not made it great.

* not saying that CX series are bad tho . It's fine, not great, but fine :P

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

They are good, but they use CapXOn (or whatever they're called) capacitors, so ultra long life isn't expected. Something like an EVGA ---B is better for the price really, although I have had 0 problems with my CX600M even after overclocking both CPU and GPU.

I don't know if they are "bad." They certainly aren't high quality. Lots of budget gamers use a CX600 to power a single 290 and the rest of the pc, of course. Not sure how that's been working out for them, but a lot of people who own CX series stand behind them.

I ordered a CX430 and it was delivered to me with the housing not put together correctly. The inside flap was actually on the outside. Drove me nuts, but the unit works okay in my HTPC. Problem is, this suggests to me that quality control is also highly lacking with these units.

Some people are just willing to take more risk when it comes to powering up there machines. I'm certainly not. I purchased an HX series for my gaming rig back in 2008 and it's still working today. So when I built my new computer I purchased another HX series.

Made using cheap capacitors and have bad temps. They're not terrible but there are much better options for the similar pricing

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

CX Overall is good for it's pricepoint and serves as the powersource for many entry/mid performing gaming builds, but if I had to chose, I would go EVGA over Corsair anyday.

On a different note....

It's kind of confusing why any company needs five or more different series of full sized power supplies. I think Corsair needs to calm down. They have VS, CX, CS, RM, HX, and AX. Are there truly that many different markets for power supplies? You have to be kidding me. Not to mention the RM, HX, and AX versions have the i thing that gives you readings. Nuts!

I've read something before saying that the main capacitor has a lower heat safety temperature or something like that and i think that the rest of them are by some less reputable company.

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

They are made using cheap capacitors. They are meant for building an office computer, not a gaming computer

What kind of office are you working in... 

On a different note....

It's kind of confusing why any company needs five or more different series of full sized power supplies. I think Corsair needs to calm down. They have VS, CX, CS, RM, HX, and AX. Are there truly that many different markets for power supplies? You have to be kidding me. Not to mention the RM, HX, and AX versions have the i thing that gives you readings. Nuts!

Well, Corsair really only has the CX (the budget line), CS (high-end budget line -- "cheap" gold), RM (cheap-pro line), and AX/AXi/HX/HXi (high end).

The issue with their lineup is that the RM and CS PSUs are both more expensive than they should be (realistically the CS should either be a true budget line and closer in price with the CX series, or combined with the RM series and be priced around where the CS series is). While the HX line is just kind of in a weird spot since it's priced so closely with the AX line.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What kind of office are you working in... 

Well, Corsair really only has the CX (the budget line), CS (high-end budget line -- "cheap" gold), RM (cheap-pro line), and AX/AXi/HX/HXi (high end).

The issue with their lineup is that the RM and CS PSUs are both more expensive than they should be (realistically the CS should either be a true budget line and closer in price with the CX series, or combined with the RM series and be priced around where the CS series is). While the HX line is just kind of in a weird spot since it's priced so closely with the AX line.

The HX is a bit weird, but it goes on decent sales from time to time on newegg, which makes it more attractive. Plus I think it's rated gold while the AX is rated platinum. I don't know, still all seems pretty confusing. 

The HX is a bit weird, but it goes on decent sales from time to time on newegg, which makes it more attractive. Plus I think it's rated gold while the AX is rated platinum. I don't know, still all seems pretty confusing. 

Yea....like I said, Corsiar should either combine the CS and RM series and price it like the CS series, or lower the price point of both the CS and RM series. And then lower the price of the HX series to the current price point of the RM series. But clearly Corsair's business model is superior -- otherwise they would have already made the change to their product line up (just because it doesn't make sense/well-informed people know better doesn't mean the average consumer knows better).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yea....like I said, Corsiar should either combine the CS and RM series and price it like the CS series, or lower the price point of both the CS and RM series. And then lower the price of the HX series to the current price point of the RM series. But clearly Corsair's business model is superior -- otherwise they would have already made the change to their product line up (just because it doesn't make sense/well-informed people know better doesn't mean the average consumer knows better).

If Corsair's model was superior, we wouldn't be having this discussion  ^_^

If Corsair's model was superior, we wouldn't be having this discussion  ^_^

Of course there's always the Corsair fanboys and those who don't know better about PSUs. People who list Corsair and EVGA alongside Seasonic for "good PSU makers" drive me nuts, as neither of them make PSUs, and not all of the PSUs that they brand are good, either.

"Rawr XD"

The HX's are also platinum these days.  The only difference is that they have fewer sensors than the AX for monitoring with the corsair link program.  Other than that they are basically the exact same power supply.

The HX's are also platinum these days.  The only difference is that they have fewer sensors than the AX for monitoring with the corsair link program.  Other than that they are basically the exact same power supply.

HX is gold. HXi is platinum. 

AXi works with Corsair Link, not AX.

"Rawr XD"

The old HX's aren't made anymore as far as I know.  That is why I didn't specifically say HXi, but you are right.  This explains the difference between the HXi and AXi.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/january/hxi_vs_axi

They still make the HX 

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/power-supply-units/hx-series

"Rawr XD"