Will an AMD 1090T bottleneck a GTX 970

Hey guys, so I just recently upgraded my HD 7870 to the Asus GTX 970 Strix and I feel like I'm not getting the performance out of it like I should. I'm running a pretty old CPU, an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T and wanted to get you all's opinion on whether this is what's causing problems. If this is truly is what's causing my performance woes, what kind of performance improvement could I be looking at if I upgraded say to a Intel 4690K. Thanks!

Hey guys, so I just recently upgraded my HD 7870 to the Asus GTX 970 Strix and I feel like I'm not getting the performance out of it like I should. I'm running a pretty old CPU, an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T and wanted to get you all's opinion on whether this is what's causing problems. If this is truly is what's causing my performance woes, what kind of performance improvement could I be looking at if I upgraded say to a Intel 4690K. Thanks!

The 4690k would make a considerable difference if you are willing to overclock.  If you don't plan on overclocking save yourself some money and get a 4460.

You'll see a significant improvement going to a 4690k.

Yeah, your Phenom II will bottleneck a 970. I've got a 965 in a system running a 7870 with no issues, and a 955 in another that has a 970 and it bottlenecks often. It's not super terrible but it's noticeable enough.

You'll see a huge improvement to your framerate minimums with a 4690K on top of getting some more modern features from the Z97 chipset.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Yes. Even AMD's top of the line FX CPUs are close to bottlenecking a 970. 

An fx 8350 will bottleneck a 970. Period.

P sure @Bubblewhale 's bottleneck his 280x

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

An fx 8350 will bottleneck a 970. Period.

P sure @Bubblewhale 's bottleneck his 280x

He doesn't have one.

He has the GTX R7 230X Ti Black GHz Edition.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Wow guys, thanks so much for all the input, yeah I guess I'll make the switch over to a 4690K, do you guys have any MOBOs to reccommend. As of now I'm not planning to overclock. 

That thuban does bottleneck a bit, but an fx cpu would bottleneck it more as it has less ICP. Overclock it if you haven't, that or upgrade to an i5 basically...sorry

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

He doesn't have one.

He has the GTX R7 230X Ti Black GHz Edition.

I heard about that, did it come with his baller new iGayPower PC?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I heard about that, did it come with his baller new iGayPower PC?

Yep Pink Phantom case.

Damn was it sexy

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Yep Pink Phantom case.

Damn was it sexy

Them rainbow LEDs tho

I also have a Phenom II X6 (1055T), I also upgraded from a 7870 to a 970, so honestly if it's anyone to ask it's probably me.

It truly depends on what kind of games you play. I play a variety of single-threaded MMOs to AAA titles that are well-optimized for multi-threaded CPUs. In 95% of cases a bottleneck is present, but in a much lower number is it actually noticeable to the point where it heavily hinders gameplay. In every case though, it's still a bigger increase over the 7870 then if you were to keep the 7870 and upgrade to a 4690K instead. So yes your CPU is old, but a GPU upgrade is giving you a bigger performance increase then a CPU upgrade would, so you did make the right choice.

What kind of performance improvement you'd get depends on what games we're talking about. In some games it can be a massive difference, in some it'll be a difference you won't even notice. Compared to my 7870, in AAA games like GTA V and COD:AW I went from 40-50 FPS at 1080p medium settings to solid 60 at high-ultra. In heavily single-threaded games like League of Legends, I went from 45-60 FPS to... 45-60 FPS (cause same single-threaded IPC of a Core 2 Duo ftw) . Personally, I'd wait for DX12 before looking into getting a new CPU, but it doesn't hurt to save up for one in the mean time.

"Rawr XD"

Pretty much any cpu-heavy game will be bottlenecked.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wow guys, thanks so much for all the input, yeah I guess I'll make the switch over to a 4690K, do you guys have any MOBOs to reccommend. As of now I'm not planning to overclock. 

Read what I posted above. It's not worth jumping right away if you can't afford a good setup at the moment with a 4690K (good motherboard and good cooler to overclock). Either get a locked chip if you feel like you'll never overclock, or save up for a good motherboard and cooler if you feel like you'll be able to learn to later on in the future. The bottleneck with your current CPU is not the end of the world.

"Rawr XD"

I also have a Phenom II X6 (1055T), I also upgraded from a 7870 to a 970, so honestly if it's anyone to ask it's probably me.

It truly depends on what kind of games you play. I play a variety of single-threaded MMOs to AAA titles that are well-optimized for multi-threaded CPUs. In 95% of cases a bottleneck is present, but in a much lower number is it actually noticeable to the point where it heavily hinders gameplay. In every case though, it's still a bigger increase over the 7870 then if you were to keep the 7870 and upgrade to a 4690K instead. So yes your CPU is old, but a GPU upgrade is giving you a bigger performance increase then a CPU upgrade would, so you did make the right choice.

What kind of performance improvement you'd get depends on what games we're talking about. In some games it can be a massive difference, in some it'll be a difference you won't even notice. Compared to my 7870, in AAA games like GTA V and COD:AW I went from 40-50 FPS at 1080p medium settings to solid 60 at high-ultra. In heavily single-threaded games like League of Legends, I went from 45-60 FPS to... 45-60 FPS (cause same single-threaded IPC of a Core 2 Duo ftw) . Personally, I'd wait for DX12 before looking into getting a new CPU, but it doesn't hurt to save up for one in the mean time.

You're right in that the bottleneck is not hindering gameplay at all, Dying Light for example is running at a pretty solid 55 frames throughout, but with a CPU upgrade can I expect maybe a 20% increase in performance. I'm directly comparing to the benchmarks Kotaku had posted http://kotaku.com/dying-light-benchmarked-graphics-and-cpu-performance-1682948936

With a CPU upgrade can I expect to average around 70 FPS? I know SSD and RAM make differences also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but those are minor compared to a GPU and CPU upgrade.  

You're right in that the bottleneck is not hindering gameplay at all, Dying Light for example is running at a pretty solid 55 frames throughout, but with a CPU upgrade can I expect maybe a 20% increase in performance. I'm directly comparing to the benchmarks Kotaku had posted http://kotaku.com/dying-light-benchmarked-graphics-and-cpu-performance-1682948936

With a CPU upgrade can I expect to average around 70 FPS? I know SSD and RAM make differences also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but those are minor compared to a GPU and CPU upgrade.  

http://www.techspot.com/review/956-dying-light-benchmarks/page5.html

You'll technically get better performance, but in reality, if you have a 60Hz monitor, 61 FPS to 80 FPS is zero perceivable difference. 

SSD has no impact on FPS, and RAM is fine as long as you have 8GB or higher (it's also very cheap and easy to upgrade). Like I said before if you have no intentions of ever overclocking try to save up for a HT Xeon or i7 instead so that in the future you can leverage the better thread optimization of DX12. On the other hand if you'll eventually learn to overclock then get a good board and cooler for that i5 in the first place.

CPU should be your next upgrade, but it doesn't have to be done right away.

"Rawr XD"

At 1080p it can.  At 1440p it'd be very minor.

Generally the games that get bottlenecked are the sorts of games that don't take a ton of GPU power to run.  

I would recommend first though doing a clean driver reinstall.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

At 1080p it can.  At 1440p it'd be very minor.

Generally the games that get bottlenecked are the sorts of games that don't take a ton of GPU power to run.  

I would recommend first though doing a clean driver reinstall.

Already did this :/

Im probably going to  get Trolled to hell and back but a suggestion is all this is.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yys6ZL

Just something to think about.. 4690 is nice but just for gaming etc you don't need to go tip top of the i5 line.. 3.2 quad same set real decent and nice priced board . The cooler ill back it up till I die its real good and priced right.. it will cool anything. 5 pipes in there so yea. also gives extra hooks for push pull. GL to your decision.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

http://www.techspot.com/review/956-dying-light-benchmarks/page5.html

You'll technically get better performance, but in reality, if you have a 60Hz monitor, 61 FPS to 80 FPS is zero perceivable difference. 

SSD has no impact on FPS, and RAM is fine as long as you have 8GB or higher (it's also very cheap and easy to upgrade). Like I said before if you have no intentions of ever overclocking try to save up for a HT Xeon or i7 instead so that in the future you can leverage the better thread optimization of DX12. On the other hand if you'll eventually learn to overclock then get a good board and cooler for that i5 in the first place.

CPU should be your next upgrade, but it doesn't have to be done right away.

Do you think I'll be staying stable at 60 FPS then with a CPU upgrade then?

if you think you'll never want to overclock you'd be better off saving a few bucks and get a 4460 and an h97 mobo, the performance difference in gaming with a stock 4690k is negligible. if you think you might overclock later then i'd recommend the asus z97-A or z97-AR which ever you like the look of more. they are both pretty much the same board with difference finishes on the heat sinks. those boards are lower cost, great feature set and have a great bios and easy to oc with.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Depends on your game settings..

Some games are way more demanding than others... they cannot be compared either... 1080p 60-100fps for one game, but the GPU may only power the next game @ 1080p 45-50fps, and that game could look worse, and use less features,... your at the disposal of the developers handiwork to make it as optimized as possible.

At least your CPU is NO longer holding you back as much as FX CPU's have to deal with,...when this dev lazyness is the case, with dodgey coding/having or needing BETTER 2core performance, cos the game only runs on 2 threads, yet still pushing maximum details @ 60+fps, with the slower FX CPU it could be a lot lower, or in effect of quite a variable fps range, not a constant.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

SSD has no impact on FPS...

It does in some poorly optimized open world games (looking at you, watch dogs).

I remember W_D having huge lag spikes because it was loading in data during gameplay.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I still run a 1055t on an older system.  It was near an i7 920 when OC'd (3.8GHz)... 6 years ago.

Something like this will do a good job for as cheap as possible:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $228.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 02:38 EDT-0400

$5 more and a little better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.45 @ OutletPC)

Total: $223.44

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 02:40 EDT-0400