First Patch for Arkham Knight released

asim1999

Rocksteady has finally got its act together and is working closely with the team over at Iron Galaxy Studios in order to get the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight up to scratch after its initial release fell flat and had to be pulled from Steam entirely.

The first patch for the game comes in at 67MB and brings some important fixes to the mix, such as allowing motion blur to be disabled in the .ini file, allowing users to verify their game files in Steam without having to re-download the whole game and fixing up a bug that disabled rain and ambient occlusion effects that are present in the console versions of the game.

Obviously all of that is just step one. Rocksteady does have a full list of fixes that it is working on right now on its forums. These fixes include removing the ridiculous 30 frames per second cap on the game and improving performance above 30fps while eliminating the hitching and stuttering.

SLI will be fixed eventually and Crossfire will be enabled for AMD users. When we tested the game ourselves we observed GPU memory usage as high as 5.5GB at 1080p, this is also being addressed. You can see the whole post, HERE.

Hope we get a playable game in the next few weeks

Source:http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/the-first-patch-for-arkham-knight-on-pc-has-landed/

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Damn, they aren't sitting still. Let's hope they learned their lesson and won't try to half-ass their next PC release anymore.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

It's too late....they should have not released it and just delayed it. That would have been the much smarter idea on PC at least.

Release the console versions and take GREAT care for the PC version would have been the best bet.

Interesting. I was fully expecting to just not bring it back out for sale on PC, and not fix anything for those who bought it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's too late....they should have not released it and just delayed it. That would have been the much smarter idea on PC at least.

Release the console versions and take GREAT care for the PC version would have been the best bet.

Make the game for the PC first and then port to consoles sound a lot more reasonable. But who am I kidding? This word is not in any company's dictionary...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I really hope when they officially take the 30fps lock out, they work with Nvidia to ensure the PhysX effects keep working as well. Not only do they work perfectly in a game with the atmosphere of Batman Arkham, but holy fuck they were gorgeous. 

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Why don't developers just make the game for PC and then port it to consoles? Shouldn't it be easier this way? Make the complete game, then remove some graphics elements here and there, then optimize it for consoles. It's not that easy, is it? 

Make the game for the PC first and then port to consoles sound a lot more reasonable. But who am I kidding? This word is not in any company's dictionary...

Well I'm sure it's programmed on a PC of sorts isn't it. The Witcher 3 had to dumb down the PC version for consoles....so it's what I think they did for Batman but with the worst possible port for PC in the end, which makes no sense.

Batman should have at least performed as well coming from a AAA company.... just pathetic really.

I am not enraged about the 30fps as much as everyone running all the game works stuff off for some reason. I really wanted to see that in action even at a smooth 30fps.

I'm not sure what breaks using 60fps but watching the PS4 version at 30fps is fine actually.

Why don't developers just make the game for PC and then port it to consoles? Shouldn't it be easier this way? Make the complete game, then remove some graphics elements here and there, then optimize it for consoles. It's not that easy, is it? 

Game development usually takes the opposite philosophy. Get it working on the lowest common denominators, i.e. Xbox and PS4, also your largest markets, then fork it and add/refactor improvements for the PC version. This situation is kinda extra messy because I guess WB/Rocksteady forked one of the console versions and tossed it to 12 guys at another studio and were like "make a phenomenal PC port with its 2392390402349023 hardware variations in 2 months kthxbye!!!!"

Are the results here particularly surprising?

I really wanted to see that in action even at a smooth 30fps.

It's as beautiful as you imagine it. I almost cried. The dark gritty environments of Batman are the perfect setting for all the effects too.

I really hope when they officially take the 30fps lock out, they work with Nvidia to ensure the PhysX effects keep working as well.

Really? Is physX connected to framerate?

I hope this whole situation wakes up some of the other big publishers / developers in regards to releasing poor quality games / ports.

Now that the largest retailer of digital PC games has finally pulled their head out of their asses and allow refunds on games you can no longer release crap games and count on keeping that money from the first wave of sales you suckered from people.

I'm looking directly at you, Ubisoft.

Then the "PC master rooze" community would rage because their game was delayed for PC... 

I do agree with you(I don't mind at all to wait), just pointing out that some in the community are like that.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Well I'm sure it's programmed on a PC of sorts isn't it. The Witcher 3 had to dumb down the PC version for consoles....so it's what I think they did for Batman but with the worst possible port for PC in the end, which makes no sense.

Batman should have at least performed as well coming from a AAA company.... just pathetic really.

I am not enraged about the 30fps as much as everyone running all the game works stuff off for some reason. I really wanted to see that in action even at a smooth 30fps.

I'm not sure what breaks using 60fps but watching the PS4 version at 30fps is fine actually.

The fact that games are programmed on PCs has nothing to do with how they perform on them. The SDK and APIs they use are quite a bit different so, even if the game is developed on a PC, it doesn't mean it will work on it as well. It would be a lot better if they developed for PC first and then just port it to consoles, where they will have to cut down stuff. It is much easier to remove than add in my experience.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Then the "PC master rooze" community would rage because their game was delayed for PC... 

I do agree with you(I don't mind at all to wait), just pointing out that some in the community are like that.

We would rage a bit. But when they eventually release a high quality PC version we would praise them and give them our money.

prime example- GTA V

cad-20150610-918c8.png

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The technology and assets are all designed around console because that's the most important platform. The biggest issue with Batman is the texture streaming tech was all designed to maintain 30FPS and causes most of the stutter on pc.

Incidentally this is also why we've seen a few recent games only have 4xAF. For whatever reason the ps4 can't into anistropic filtering so both Batman and Witcher 3 (And a few more games) needed patches to use x16.

These sorts of problems will disappear once UE4 starts taking off in the AAA scene.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

We would rage a bit. But when they eventually release a high quality PC version we would praise them and give them our money.

prime example- GTA V

GTA V was getting money regardless of how great or shitty the port ended up being.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I don't blame them too much, really, as some big publishers treat PC as an afterthought.

Quite often the game is of a sub par port job or it held till weeks or months after the console releases.

To add insult to injury those same publishers often have talked about how important PC gamers were to them and how they were really going to do PC gamers right.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU UBISOFT.

*COUGH* *COUGH* GTA V *COUGH* *COUGH*

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Really? Is physX connected to framerate?

I thought at least some of it was, the smoke/fog effects (arguably the coolest), and maybe more. But my comment is based on reading other user experiences, I never disabled the framerate lock myself. Reading the same experiences, a whole lot of things seemed tied to the framerate. Texture streaming, some of the game physics... It didn't seem to bode too well for people editing the .ini file.

For myself, only had about an hour to try the game before getting busy for the rest of the week. Applied for a refund somewhere in the middle, so I'm back in the dark.

I thought at least some of it was, the smoke/fog effects (arguably the coolest), and maybe more. But my comment is based on reading other user experiences, I never disabled the framerate lock myself. Reading the same experiences, a whole lot of things seemed tied to the framerate. Texture streaming, some of the game physics... It didn't seem to bode too well for people editing the .ini file.

For myself, only had about an hour to try the game before getting busy for the rest of the week. Applied for a refund somewhere in the middle, so I'm back in the dark.

Users delving deep have fixed it for a lot of users.

/Mainly Texture streaming/stutter, but also forcing higher quality texture models (more detailed than previous attempts)

steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That's not easy. It's much easier to add code than take it away and once they've made the game on PC they've got all the complexities that come with it. It's much easier and quicker to create the inferior version first then add the complex PC stuff afterwards, that's assuming they have competent coders on their team.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The damage has been done nothing matter from now... except when i  buy the GOTY edition for 5$ again, same goes for Witcher3 enhanced edition cause 5$ is all its worth.