Why do modern motherboards still have PS/2?

This is 100% because your using hardware designed for a newer OS that what you choose to use. I image those were all usb 3.0 ports which are not natively supported in windows 7. Heck even UEFI support is just kinda hacked in with SP1.

Yeah, No.

There is no reason why USB 2.0 ports wouldn't work natively in win 7.  It's obvious that 3.0 ports are not going to work without drivers, even in win 8 they don't, but  2.0 ports that don't work in win 7 is stupid.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

No recent Mechanical keyboards are PS/2. Maybe something like the IBM Model M is though.

Yeah but many modern mechanical keyboards have a USB to PS/2 adapter like CM Storm's Quickfire Rapid and WASD keyboards 

Yeah, No.

There is no reason why USB 2.0 ports wouldn't work natively in win 7. It's obvious that 3.0 ports are not going to work without drivers, even in win 8 they don't, but 2.0 ports that don't work in win 7 is stupid.

That shouldn't have even happened as long as you have a relatively new image and full CSM compatability settings enabled in your UEFI.

I don't think I would even purchase a motherboard without a PS/2 port.  I got like--five adapters for USB to PS/2.  I prefer it.

Yeah, No.

There is no reason why USB 2.0 ports wouldn't work natively in win 7.  It's obvious that 3.0 ports are not going to work without drivers, even in win 8 they don't, but  2.0 ports that don't work in win 7 is stupid.

I used usb 3 to plug my mouse and keyboard in with no OS installed while using the bios :P

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Pretty much every keyboard in my house is PS/2. We don't have a single USB KB in the house. The bad thing is that my idiot brother usually unplugs the damn keyboard, requiring a reboot.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah but many modern mechanical keyboards have a USB to PS/2 adapter like CM Storm's Quickfire Rapid and WASD keyboards

I wouldn't say many. It's wained quite a bit over the past 2-3 years. I totally forgot about WASD. This is especially with the newer introduction of RGB or controllable lighting.

Pretty much every keyboard in my house is PS/2. We don't have a single USB KB in the house. The bad thing is that my idiot brother usually unplugs the damn keyboard, requiring a reboot.

Yeah I work at a retail and they use special keyboards next to screens for sales, it stopped working because someone unplugged it and wouldn't worth when they plugged it back in so they were about to order a new keyboard before I restarted it xD

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

I used usb 3 to plug my mouse and keyboard in with no OS installed while using the bios :P

Yes, in the bios the USB mouse and keyboard work fine, it was only within win 7 that they didn't work, because they needed a driver.

But anyway, that is one of the reason why motherboards still come with PS2, legacy compatibility.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Yeah I work at a retail and they use special keyboards next to screens for sales, it stopped working because someone unplugged it and wouldn't worth when they plugged it back in so they were about to order a new keyboard before I restarted it xD

Those are POS (point of sale) keyboards and them being PS/2 is quite important for a number of reasons. But yes don't plug PS/2 in when the system 's already on, especially if it's a different device.

My issue is there are very few programmable PS/2 keyboards. Few controllers support it, especially once that the community supports.

I'm fairly certain USB is serial as well - hence the name Universal Serial Bus. I don't know for sure though.

Yes it is.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I prefer the USB port as I really don't like corded mice, the boat has sailed and sunk in my case. The last ps/2 port I used was . . . 10-15 years ago? I think, cannot remember, it has been a long time. Beside ps/2 is not plug an play as usb is.

I can use either 'wireless' or 'blue tooth' peripherals utilizing the dongles or built it features such as included in laptops.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Those are POS (point of sale) keyboards and them being PS/2 is quite important for a number of reasons. But yes don't plug PS/2 in when the system 's already on, especially if it's a different device.

Yeah I know what they are xD but why do they need to be PS/2?

because they're cheap.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Main reason is driverless. Remember a POS is more a piece of hardware than a PC. Most thing to this day are still your standard serial port.

because they're cheap.

Sadly nothing for a POS is what would be considered cheap. They use mechanical keyboards for the main reason that the ones at my word have been in service for over a decade and still work perfectly fine. The can also be easily re-labeled.

For starters PS/2 is better for keyboards than USB, and PS/2 keyboards use less power than their USB equivalents. Most laptops for example use PS/2 mouse and keyboards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Backwards compatibility.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Sadly nothing for a POS is what would be considered cheap. They use mechanical keyboards for the main reason that the ones at my word have been in service for over a decade and still work perfectly fine. The can also be easily re-labeled.

Yeah I love the fact that it's mechanical makes it much nicer to use all day

For starters PS/2 is better for keyboards than USB, and PS/2 keyboards use less power than their USB equivalents. Most laptops for example use PS/2 mouse and keyboards.

That isn't actually why most laptops use it. The controller for the laptop keyboard is actually on the motherboard, no in/on the keyboard itself.

I don't know if you can consider it a recent product, but my Steelseries 7G (Cherry MX black) has both USB and PS/2.

Not really recent as mine is the better part of 10 years old at least. The PS/2 is for the keyboard the USB goes to the USB 1.1 hub which is basically useless nowdays.

One reason is cause the PS/2 keyboard is the best keyboard ever made and last forever. Like everything in the IBM PS/2 line it is over engineered. I've collected ps2s and they are amazing, the attention to detail is like nothing today. If you look up what they cost on eBay you'll see what I mean. IBM built stuff to last forever.

That isn't actually why most laptops use it. The controller for the laptop keyboard is actually on the motherboard, no in/on the keyboard itself.

Not really recent as I have o expats the better part of 10 years old at least. The PS/2 is for the keyboard the USB goes to the USB 1.1 hub which is basically useless nowdays.

That controller is PS/2 based, that's what I was talking about. My old Tecra M5 is a good example and when you dock it with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard plugged into the dock it disables the internal mouse and keyboard because you can't use 2 PS/2 mouse or keyboards at the same time. And on that note, checking MMC on this HP Pavilion DV6 3010AX also shows that its keyboard and trackpad are PS/2.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Main reason is driverless. Remember a POS is more a piece of hardware than a PC. Most thing to this day are still your standard serial port.

They run windows, they can have drivers and they all have a separate keyboard and mouse connected to them where I work anyway, just incase you need them.