Where to get FLAC music files?

t-scene

I don't. It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between FLAC and 'lossy' audio files. 

chinese torrent sites.

lol jk

i honestly have no idea where people get them

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

chinese torrent sites.

lol jk

i honestly have no idea where people get them

You're pretty much right about the torrenting. 

Of course, I buy their music first, then I torrent the FLACs and Ogg Vorbis.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Bandcamp, rip them, and a few limited sites from Google.

Most people pirate them and part of the reason is it's hard to buy them in the first place.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I don't. It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between FLAC and 'lossy' audio files. 

well for low bitrate lossy i disagree with you. 256kbps is about my limit

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

kickassto :D ohwell.. if u mean legally thn idk.. make your own with FL Studio or Ableton Live lol

well for low bitrate lossy i disagree with you. 256kbps is about my limit

Well, obviously there's a limit to how low you can go. But for good quality 'lossy' files, it's very hard to tell the difference. 

Sort of. Of course it's debatable, and there's no "one size fits all answer." That being said, I have the FLAC version, and MP3 version of Imagine Dragon's Smoke + Mirrors album. The difference is very clear. Most notably, the tinny sounds (like hi-hats) come through much clearer in FLAC. You don't notice the "digital compression" nearly as much. 

All that aside, I don't think it's worth it to have a literally 800MB+ album, when you can have the 320kbps version for around 1/10th that. I only have FLAC versions of albums I really, really like. 

As for obtaining it? I'm honestly not sure. Of course, I torrented my FLAC copy, to see if it made much of a difference versus my (legitimate) MP3 copy. I don't really know any services that allow the purchase of them though.

Sort of. Of course it's debatable, and there's no "one size fits all answer." That being said, I have the FLAC version, and MP3 version of Imagine Dragon's Smoke + Mirrors album. The difference is very clear. Most notably, the tinny sounds (like hi-hats) come through much clearer in FLAC. You don't notice the "digital compression" nearly as much. 

All that aside, I don't think it's worth it to have a literally 800MB+ album, when you can have the 320kbps version for around 1/10th that. I only have FLAC versions of albums I really, really like. 

As for obtaining it? I'm honestly not sure. Of course, I torrented my FLAC copy, to see if it made much of a difference versus my (legitimate) MP3 copy. I don't really know any services that allow the purchase of them though.

I don't think many producers/artists publish their music in FLAC really. At least, not on the mainstream platforms like iTunes. The file sizes are way too big to justify the little benefits you can get. 

I can understand using FLAC for actual production, but for general listening, where you're not completely focused on the music, it's not something that will be noticed. 

The only places I know of that you can get them from are all free sites, rather than places to buy. 

I don't think many producers/artists publish their music in FLAC really. At least, not on the mainstream platforms like iTunes. The file sizes are way too big to justify the little benefits you can get. 

I can understand using FLAC for actual production, but for general listening, where you're not completely focused on the music, it's not something that will be noticed. 

The only places I know of that you can get them from are all free sites, rather than places to buy. 

Oh, of course. I just don't like when people say there isn't a difference. :-) There most certainly is, and the naked ear could even hear it. It's just such a marginal difference, the filesize doesn't warrant use. Especially for music which is supposed to blend into the background. Like running / jogging music, exercise music, etc. I'd save FLAC for music where your listening environment is mostly stationary. :]

rip them off cds...(caution: questionable legality)

artist's website...

torrent... (caution: questionable legality)

music services...

Would I get as good quality by playing CD's through my USB DAC or do files make a difference.  Do I need to play cd's with something other than Windows Media Player.

FLACs are superior for archival purposes. They can easily converted into whatever file format you like now or into the future; do that with a lossy format a few times and you'll completely ruin it.

The only place i've seen FLAC & ALAC (Apples Lossless format) sold is where bands are selling their live recordings to the fans, like Metallica do and Red Hot Chilli Peppers... I'm sure there's a few more places selling FLAC, but it's not as common sadly. In a lot of cases it isn't much more to buy the CD and rip it as Lossless yourself in all honesty if that's possible.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I got a full Monstercat .FLAC album once for free (because they gave them away..)

But otherwise I wouldn't know where to get them... I'm just gonna throw Beatport and Soundcloud out there

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• Bandcamp - More indie stuff, option to buy in FLAC format for no extra cost.

Junodownload - They have a lot of songs but it's pretty hit or miss as to whether they'll have music you actually like.

Beatport - For electronic music, available in lossless AIFF instead of FLAC.

Qobuz - French site, usually has stuff I can't find anywhere else but you gotta use a VPN if you don't live in the the countries they support.

Ripping from CDs, which I'll only do if I can't find it anywhere else online because it's a hassle hunting down a physical copy.

And the obvious "questionable" sources.

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

I just buy my music on iTunes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Buy a CD, rip it with cuetools and use the flake encoder.

Every single time I thought I might have heard a difference between a proper 320kbps mp3 file versus a flac file, I end up finding out the difference isn't there, I've just listened so closely I've found new details in the music I've never noticed before. 99% of people who say FLAC sounds better is doing it wrong or is suffering from placebo.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Well, obviously there's a limit to how low you can go. But for good quality 'lossy' files, it's very hard to tell the difference. 

It varies ALOT.

I've listened to some REALLY BAD FLAC files because it was mastered like shit and some some REALLY GOOD MP3 files that were mastered pretty good. Also varies on the music since some songs are strangely sound the same, FLAC or "compressed/lossy", and then some songs are just night and day like the FLAC sounds significantly better than the "compressed/lossy" version.

IMHO, if you must have FLAC, which I also like, there's nothing wrong with that. If you almost don't care, then thats fine as well. 

Regarding OP's question. I also have the same question since I don't want to illegally do it since I want to support the guys who made the music.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

If you buy the songs, some artists will allow you to download these files. 

This should be posted in the audio section BTW.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

If you buy the songs, some artists will allow you to download these files.

This should be posted in the audio section BTW.

never heard of this being done before, were would you download said songs from the artist for free?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2