GameStop now selling retro games and consoles

Don't really know what to say here, and I can't really give my opinion since I don't live in the United States, but I hope more retailers start doing this.

Sorry if this has been posted already!

Source: GameSpot TweakTown

Mini-ITX Build (unnamed)

Case: SilverStone SG07B-W Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-I CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K GPU: Integrated HD 3000 Cooler: Stock RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX600 Keyboard: Cheap Dell Keyboard (although has withstood 8 years of use) Mouse: Logitech G300 Headset: Logitech H110 OS: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) 

Phone: HTC One (m7) running ViperOne 8.0.0 (Android 5.0.2 Lollipop)

Just looking at the prices i was thinking ill wait for a steam sale. Seems cool, didn't see a n64,mine is finally dying.

This would be fine if their prices were not terrible. I would much rather buy a Wii U and buy the game on their marketplace for $5, rather than pay $30 for a game from my youth. I know the games themselves are not being produced anymore (if they are, its limited demand) but still. With Emulation becoming ever so popular (popular enough for Nintendo themselves to make a patent for it) i foresee this being a fun joke if anything. We have a local game store called Game On that sells retro games and machines too, but they also sell them for the prices of newer consoles. You wan't a NES? Game On charges $120 for it. 

To anybody shocked by the prices: This is around what the original games retailed for. 

Yeah, but that was during a time when it was expensive to produce the games. Remember, the early gaming industry was a risk at first for almost every studio that was starting out. I remember still finding NES/N64 Gems at thrift stores in my childhood (late 90's, early 2000's) so prices were not all bad, considering the options. I highly doubt any of these games are "new" which means they are selling used antiquated games at a price similar to what they cost new.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is priced pretty decent if cart only, if complete in box, this would be a steal.

Suikoden II is priced good too.

Cannon Spike is priced decent.

Not sure what people were complaining about with prices..

But I don't live in the US (or Germany for that matter, because they have GameStops already there), so this does not affect me much.

There are already quite a few retro video game stores I often visit :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This would be fine if their prices were not terrible. I would much rather buy a Wii U and buy the game on their marketplace for $5, rather than pay $30 for a game from my youth. I know the games themselves are not being produced anymore (if they are, its limited demand) but still. With Emulation becoming ever so popular (popular enough for Nintendo themselves to make a patent for it) i foresee this being a fun joke if anything. We have a local game store called Game On that sells retro games and machines too, but they also sell them for the prices of newer consoles. You wan't a NES? Game On charges $120 for it. 

Yeah, but that was during a time when it was expensive to produce the games. Remember, the early gaming industry was a risk at first for almost every studio that was starting out. I remember still finding NES/N64 Gems at thrift stores in my childhood (late 90's, early 2000's) so prices were not all bad, considering the options. I highly doubt any of these games are "new" which means they are selling used antiquated games at a price similar to what they cost new.

If you check sold listing on eBay, you see that the prices for the 3 games mentioned in the Gamespot article are pretty decent.

And many buy these games for collecting purposes too

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes, the games are pre-owned. Yes, they're pricey. However, a copy of Pokemon LeafGreen will cost you about $45 for just the cartridge. This is fro mGameStop, from BuyBacks, from [a third store I can't remember the name of.] You can hop on eBay abnd buy yourself a few of these cartridges for $10, $20, etc. GameStop isn't at sole fault here for what they're charging. It's just how retailers make profit. So it shouldn't be any surprise. Will I pay $80 for Conker's Bad Fur Day? No. Is it a "good" deal? No. Are they "wrong" for charging that? No. They're priced the same on eBay anyways.

I can pick up most all the consoles and most all the retro games I want at flea markets for 2-5$. The highest I saw a dreamcast go for was 40$ and that included two controllers, a memory card and two games. N64s were being given away by the bucket fulls (really) and S/NES for around 10$.

Gamestop u stupid.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If you check sold listing on eBay, you see that the prices for the 3 games mentioned in the Gamespot article are pretty decent.

And many buy these games for collecting purposes too

Yes, the games are pre-owned. Yes, they're pricey. However, a copy of Pokemon LeafGreen will cost you about $45 for just the cartridge. This is fro mGameStop, from BuyBacks, from [a third store I can't remember the name of.] You can hop on eBay abnd buy yourself a few of these cartridges for $10, $20, etc. GameStop isn't at sole fault here for what they're charging. It's just how retailers make profit. So it shouldn't be any surprise. Will I pay $80 for Conker's Bad Fur Day? No. Is it a "good" deal? No. Are they "wrong" for charging that? No. They're priced the same on eBay anyways.

You people make me feel like i am sitting on a gold mine, lol. Most of the games listed in that article, i own. Other than a few of the playstation games, due to disk damage over time. While i understand people will pay more for collecting games, it just seems like its highway robbery for the sake of nostalgia. I guess to each their own, as i certainly would not do it. I recall getting most of my games from yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores as a child, and i frequently see them sold to this very day. I can go to Family Dollar and get original Xbox games for $2-$5 a piece, even the Halo games. I guess the shock comes from seeing these games go for dirt cheap not too long ago, to suddenly being worth more than what they were brand new. I don't feel nostalgic, now i feel old.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I don't  think there overpriced at all. There going by what the games are worth in the current market. I actually like this . I think its a great idea. I mean I wouldnt buy one from there Id find one cheaper elsewhere. But for the convenience Id think they'll do really well with this.

You people make me feel like i am sitting on a gold mine, lol. Most of the games listed in that article, i own. Other than a few of the playstation games, due to disk damage over time. While i understand people will pay more for collecting games, it just seems like its highway robbery for the sake of nostalgia. I guess to each their own, as i certainly would not do it. I recall getting most of my games from yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores as a child, and i frequently see them sold to this very day. I can go to Family Dollar and get original Xbox games for $2-$5 a piece, even the Halo games. I guess the shock comes from seeing these games go for dirt cheap not too long ago, to suddenly being worth more than what they were brand new. I don't feel nostalgic, now i feel old.

I'm no rich guy too, but Gamestop is not going to make it so people will rip them off for these games, just to sell on eBay.

Most of my retro games are bought on flea markets too. 

And Xbox (original) games are so not valuable nowadays, most games on that system are not worth more than a few euros nowadays

It's kinda a cool concept, and apparently the prices according to some Aussies are apparently "really cheap" for the games, which to me is kinda expensive, but yeah.. I do wonder how long it will be until we see GameStop roll this out to EB Games here in Australia and well whatever other countries they trade in.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Are they serious with that pricing, for used games?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

To the few that think that some of the prices are high, I understand your concern. But we have to take into account the rarity of some of these games.  Square SNES RPG cartridges in particular (like when Square was good... "Squaresoft" good) seem to be in high demand and not enough to go around.

And yes, they were THAT expensive when they were first released (cartridges in particular are not cheap to make).  Now if we take inflation into account... YIKES!

We do have a dedicated gaming store here in our city for retro gaming items.  If Gamestop / EB Games brings this up here, well... competition is good for consumers.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Suikoden II is priced correctly, it's quite rare, an Italian copy goes for over 250€. I wish I had that :c Used to have a pirated copy and it's my favorite game of all time (hence the nick).

If they have resonable prices, it isn't that bad ^^

I know I wouldn't get a snes + Zelda a link to the past for 15€ (like I did in a junk store), but still it would be nice :3

Getting me another Dreamcast. 

Carts are the best

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

These old games aren't really worth it imo, once you take off the nostalgia glasses, you'll realize it too. I'm old enough to remember the NES I had when I was 5 and I still wouldn't drop hundreds on used beaters because childhood.

Retro business model selling retro games. good times.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR