Are 2560x1080 monitors worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Lizardon,

Definitely! 21:9 is the future. But I would wait for the 3440x1440 monitors get cheaper.

Hi guys,

So i wanted to know if 2560x1080 ultrawide 21:9 monitors are worth it, as 3440x1440 is out of my budget right at this second, I normally game, watch movies and do other web surfing activities, should i wait until 3440x1440 displays are cheaper?

Thanks!

"We will build a firewall, the firewall will work, the firewall will be successful and if you don't think firewalls work all you have to do is ask Yahoo" 

Definitely! 21:9 is the future. But I would wait for the 3440x1440 monitors get cheaper.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

What gpu do you have?

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

If you want ultrawide go with 3440*1440p , 1080p is too little to be productive (main focus of ultrawide) anyway.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What gpu do you have?

GTX 970 Mini Itx version

"We will build a firewall, the firewall will work, the firewall will be successful and if you don't think firewalls work all you have to do is ask Yahoo" 

In my opinion, absolutely not. They cost like 16:9 1440p ones, and you get less. I see pretty much no reason to buy a 21:9 monitor over a similarly sized 16:9 one. There are no benefits.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Go 1440... if your really set on ultra-wide.. be prepared for some games being "janky" 1080 ultra wide is only good for watching movies..

All depends on your usage though.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

What about Ultrawide 1440p, is that any better than 2560x1080 in price competitive values in the future? As newer graphics cards will be able to run these sort of displays for MOBAs and Racing.

Hi guys,

So i wanted to know if 2560x1080 ultrawide 21:9 monitors are worth it, as 3440x1440 is out of my budget right at this second, I normally game, watch movies and do other web surfing activities, should i wait until 3440x1440 displays are cheaper?

Thanks!

depends on your PC if you can handle the 3440x1440 its a high res almost 4k. where 2560x1080 is not that hard to run now a days. both are fine i am using a 2560x1080 at the moment.

Needs Update

In my opinion, absolutely not. They cost like 16:9 1440p ones, and you get less. I see pretty much no reason to buy a 21:9 monitor over a similarly sized 16:9 one. There are no benefits.

I can see you have not used one in gaming they make a huge difference. There is a reason most of the tech you tubers call it the future of gaming. 

Needs Update

I can see you have not used one in gaming they make a huge difference. There is a reason most of the tech you tubers call it the future of gaming. 

Enlighten me. How is having less monitor in any way beneficial to gaming? Also, define "most" tech youtubers. Only Linus comes to mind as a big endorser of these monitors. And bare in mind he likes specific LG panels, not only because of them being 21:9. I'm perfectly fine with my 28" 4k panel, I don't see how having it shorter and a bit larger at the sides while loosing a bunch of screen space would do me any good.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have seen in Linus' video that 21:9 is astonishing for gaming in most titles, just sometimes not FPS games. Even in Austin Evans video he explains how 21:9 is great for gaming and side by side productivity. A massive advantage of 21:9 is also movies, as these are cinema grade videos (mostly) and will normally run natively as i have heard from NCIX videos, LinusTechTips and some other smaller YouTubers. Still thanks @Sauron , I just want to try something new, as expensive large 4k monitors cost even more than some 1440p ultrawides.

As the answers i have heard so far, i think waiting for 3440x1440 panel's to become cheaper, and until cheaper graphics cards come out to run that resolution, Thanks for all your answers guys!

Enlighten me. How is having less monitor in any way beneficial to gaming? Also, define "most" tech youtubers. Only Linus comes to mind as a big endorser of these monitors. And bare in mind he likes specific LG panels, not only because of them being 21:9. I'm perfectly fine with my 28" 4k panel, I don't see how having it shorter and a bit larger at the sides while loosing a bunch of screen space would do me any good.

you know in games 720p, 1080p and 4k all have the same amount of data just more pixels. When you move to 21:9 you have a bigger FOV then on 16:9 as even just looking at the numbers  the 9 stays the same a 16:9 screen fits inside the 21:9 with 5 more ratios (what ever you like to call it it depends on the size of the sceen) you dont see less on a 21:9 you see more on both sides. its like when you play on surround gaming.

Needs Update

you know in games 720p, 1080p and 4k all have the same amount of data just more pixels. When you move to 21:9 you have a bigger FOV then on 16:9 as even just looking at the numbers  the 9 stays the same a 16:9 screen fits inside the 21:9 with 5 more ratios (what ever you like to call it it depends on the size of the sceen) you dont see less on a 21:9 you see more on both sides. its like when you play on surround gaming.

Except all you're doing in a 21:9 screen is removing vertical pixels. 1440p contains 2560x1080. uhd contains 3440x1440 (in fact it even has more horizontal pixels). So you only see less vertically. "Just more pixels" mean more detail in the whole scene, seeing objects that at a lower resolution may just be a couple of indistinct pixels. Any fov disparity can be fixed by, well, increasing fov, and there are very few games that actually benefit from more screen at the sides (you don't gain anything even from playing in surround from most shooters for example). I play at 110-120 fov in games that allow it, I don't feel the need for any more. If I was desperate for 21:9 I could simply make a custom letterbox resolution and get the same experience, albeit on a slightly smaller surface.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just wait till the 3440x1440 panels become cheaper. Your GPU won't handle games at that resolution in Ultra/Very High 60fps anw. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.6GHz- Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61- Motherboard: MSI Z97 XPOWER AC - RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400MHz- GPU: EVGA Titan X SC with Hybrid Cooler @1495Mhz Case: Corsair 780T White - Storage: 120GB Corsair LS SSD+ 500GB 850Evo + 250GB 850Evo + 2TB HDD - PSU: Cougar GX900 - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 -Headphone: Logitech G430 - Monitor: LG 34UM95 3440x1440

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K Cooler: Hyper 212EVO - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 - RAM: 3x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1600MHz- GPU: Gygabite 980Ti G1 Gaming- Case: Corsair 400R - Storage:  500GB 530Series SSD + 2TB HDD - PSU: Corsair TX650 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: CODE Keyboard MX Clear Monitor: 3x Acer G276HL Surround MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid-2015 i7 2.8Ghz - 512GB SSD - AMD 370X

Titan X PlastiDipped : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448816-titan-x-hybrid-painting/