Some math on Fury Nano performance

Tiber1337

SoWCCFTECH ! did some math on the performance of the Fury Nano, its supposed to be darn strong by their calculations.

My take is that the Nano is going to be somewhere between r9 380 and r9 390 , since there's a big gap in price there and a card would fit nicely. BUT these calculations show a different story.

Here ya go :

http://wccftech.com/fast-amd-radeon-r9-nano-find/

WCCFTECH did get some things right so can we stop the bashing guys?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

SoWCCFTECH ! did some math on the performance of the Fury Nano, its supposed to be darn strong by their calculations.

My take is that the Nano is going to be somewhere between r9 380 and r9 390 , since there's a big gap in price there and a card would fit nicely. BUT these calculations show a different story.

Here ya go :

http://wccftech.com/fast-amd-radeon-r9-nano-find/

AMD already said that this card will have "significantly more performance" than the R9 290X. So its going to target the GTX 980 and up.

The math is pretty sound, and puts the Nano at a competing level with the GTX 980, maybe a bit faster.

We know AMD’s defining performance per watt as the peak FP32 TFLOPS divided by the “typical board power”, which for the Nano we know is 175W

R9 290X’s peak FP32 = 5.6 TFLOPs, in other words 5600 GFLOPs, and its TDP is 250W.

Perf/W = 5600 GFLOPs/250W = 22.4 GFLOPs/W

We also know that the R9 Nano has 2X the perf/watt of the R9 290X.

Which means it’s 2X (5.6TFLOP/250W)

= 2X 22.4 GFLOPs/W

= 44.8 GFLOPs/W.

Thus the perf/watt rating of the R9 Nano is 44.8GFLOPs/W.

Incidentally we also have the TDP for the Nano, and that’s the last missing piece in the puzzle.

R9 Nano

Perf/watt = FP32 in GFLOPs (unknown) / TDP (175)

44.8 = FP32 (unknown) / 175

44.8 x 175 = FP32 (unknown)

44.8 x 175 = 7840 GFLOPs or 7.84 TFLOPs.

I should point out that it’s still debatable whether AMD can actually reach this 7.84 TFLOPs figure with the R9 Nano. It would still be an impressive feat if the Nano ends up close enough to the 7 TFLOPs mark. After considering additional data points that AMD shared with us about the Nano with regards to its performance density compared to the 290X, we reckon it will probably end up around he 7.3TFLOPs mark.

Remember that you can't compare AMD and Nvidia cards based on FP32. Nvidia makes up for compute with a stronger geometry engine, so Nvidia GPUs with lower tflops can still keep up with AMD cards with more tflops in games.

we will see once these cards get released,until then i will do my best to remain neutral, but damn.. if this is correct.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Why would nano be more efficient than Fury?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

That thing is so cute.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

So it will compete with the 970 itx versions? Not a bad place to be in fact.

It has the potential to destroy the 970 in any form factor... as far as I understand it.

Imagine performance slotted between the 980 and the 980Ti, priced at $500.... that is my "wow".

I think its mentioned that the nano will be more efficient than the 290x, therefore that assumption.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Lower clock speeds, lower voltages, specially selected low leakage chips.

We already see this with mobile vs desktop graphics cards. Often having the exact same configuration but lower clock speeds and much better efficiency.

Not saying it would be of course but if it ends up being the case there is an explanation: diminishing returns. You can push the power and clock speeds and everything to get to the 980ti level but if you scale back a bit the performance doesn't necessarily scales back in the same proportion because it took a lot of basically wasted efficiency to get to max performance. This is why technically and according to prices the 970 is actually more efficient for the money than the 980 yet they're based on the same chip.

Think of it as reverse SLI/Crossfire: If you remove one card from the equation you don't get 50% the speed actually quite a bit more than that due to the fact that a lot of performance is lost in the process of going up in dual card more which is never 100% scaleable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Reminded me of GoT 'Even small men can cast a bug shadow.'

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Lower clock speeds, lower voltages.

so it will use less power, efficiency is not that though.

If it's the same card scaled down it will be as efficient as fury x is, just weaker.

Not saying it would be of course but if it ends up being the case there is an explanation: diminishing returns. You can push the power and clock speeds and everything to get to the 980ti level but if you scale back a bit the performance doesn't necessarily scales back in the same proportion because it took a lot of basically wasted efficiency to get to max performance. This is why technically and according to prices the 970 is actually more efficient for the money than the 980 yet they're based on the same chip.

Think of it as reverse SLI/Crossfire: If you remove one card from the equation you don't get 50% the speed actually quite a bit more than that due to the fact that a lot of performance is lost in the process of going up in dual card more which is never 100% scaleable.

that might be it, but speculating that it somehow becomes 25% more efficient is still strange to me.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If it's the same card scaled down it will be as efficient as fury x is, just weaker.

that might be it, but speculating that it somehow becomes 25% more efficient is still strange to me.

It's not speculation AMD said Nano has 2X perf/watt as the 290X, fury X only has 1.5X.

1600_phpzrdesnimg_2489.jpg

Just like CPUs, when you clock the chips down and reduce the voltages the efficiency improves. The R9 285 for example is a 190W card, the mobile version with even more cores 2048 vs 1792 and only an 850mhz clock speed vs 918mhz is rated 125W.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M295X.129043.0.html

Throw enough darts at a board and eventually you'll hit the bull's-eye ;)

Well I do know that the nano will come later so they might also be optimistically taking in to account eventual driver optimization gains post release by the time the nano hits the streets. Or they might be full of shit either or.

-------

Current Rig

-------

wccftech is like firing a shotgun onto a pack of ducks, you're going to hit a lot of thing and miss a lot of thing

There's a lot of 'if's and marketing speech in this calculation

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

snip

I remember that around a month ago they said 3X performance/watt at a conference with HBM, but they only delivered 1.5x . CEOs exaggerate most of the time, perhaps what she meant was " significantly more performance density" than the 290x. 

I'm just speculating and I'm in no way saying that I am right. But considering prices , 390x is starting 430 (perphaps much more for other models) and Fury aircooled is 550$ , there's little  room left for a card in between, it would just make the 390x completely useless if u could get half the tdp and more performance for 50 bucks more